PDA

View Full Version : Aparael...the cuthroat business

califsurferboy33
02-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey,

Is it just me or is Nike absolutly destroying all of the other manafacturing comapaies of apparel. I mean just look at their spring line compared to adidas or any other company. RBK, Puma, and almost every other company just doesn't seem to care anymore. Adidas is putting up some fight but i mean just look on TW, Nike has almost twice the variety that adidas has for the spring group...wut is going on?!

JayxTheKoolest
03-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I've noticed this as well, and it surprises me. I recently bought a 65 nike sphere polo and shorts, and, in my opinion, the clothes aren't that great (when their price in considered). That's why I'm surprised Nike is dominating this market. I'd rather stick with Elllesse, which seems to provide much higher quality clothes.

Puredrivetennis
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Ellesse are quality clothing-- one of the last companies that really looks beyond cosmetics and making money, and more towards customer satisfaction. I would disagree with the nike monopolization, though-- although TW does retail nike a ton, they do this for their financial reasons: people buy nike, tw makes money. Many players still wear other brands, all over-- look at the ncaa! Most schools are using adidas for their team. Being a reebok player, I would also say that they are doing better, too; it hurt them to lose Roddick, but they have a lot of heavy hitters on both tours: Williams and Mauresmo, Andreev and Martin, etc. While you may not see anything but nike here, it is not so around the globe!

tennis-skater
03-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Ellesse are quality clothing-- one of the last companies that really looks beyond cosmetics and making money, and more towards customer satisfaction. I would disagree with the nike monopolization, though-- although TW does retail nike a ton, they do this for their financial reasons: people buy nike, tw makes money. Many players still wear other brands, all over-- look at the ncaa! Most schools are using adidas for their team. Being a reebok player, I would also say that they are doing better, too; it hurt them to lose Roddick, but they have a lot of heavy hitters on both tours: Williams and Mauresmo, Andreev and Martin, etc. While you may not see anything but nike here, it is not so around the globe!

Most teams use adidas because they are more team friendly with just plain colors (I bought our teams uniform and relized this earlier on). Also reebok doesn't have the big players like nike. Federer, Nadal, Blake 3 of the top 6 players in the world on the mens side. That's what people buy. They want to be just like there favorite top pro and they see Federer, Nadal, and Blake wearing nike so thats what they buy.

Puredrivetennis
03-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Of course, but you have to realize that in countries like Romania, Chile, Russia, Korea (im just throwing names out), many tennis fans stick to their national players, (Hanescu, Massu, Davydenko, Lee, etc)-- many of these players started off with smaller sponsors from smaller companies, and returned the favours by being loyal to them. While some may be with nike, they also cover a large number of apparel companies in the process. North America, and a large portion of the tennis community, of course, still side with nike because of the famous-factor, but you cannot count out the little guys who keep their steady support up. Many older players, even, still wear reebok, polo, sergio, Perry, etc, because that is what they know, and they like it-- they don't necessarily care for the bright colours, sleeveless tops and pirate pants over their classic whites.