PDA

View Full Version : Making of Korolev

Progressive10s
02-28-2007, 11:29 AM
I found it interesting that Evgeny Korolev was playing challengers and the futures circuit at the age of fifteen probably bypassing the ITF junior circuit. I am not sure that he played the juniors, but it seems that his father- a former professional hockey player- wanted to accelerate his son's game. I guess we shouldn't be totally surprised when this kid takes down Blake because he's been preparing for this for quite a while.

Colpo
02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Boy, he played well - and boy, was Blake flat! I think we've all been there as players - playing on a windy, cool day or night, feeling like your racquet's string tension mysteriously got upped by some ten pounds, getting zero pace or control, meanwhile... your opponent is playing like he's completely unaffected! Korolev is a talent. Yes, he plays like everybody else, but he's big, hits smart, and has a better backhand than forehand. Even Safin started somewhere - maybe we'll soon see more from this Russian...

MasterTS
02-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Nothing special about korolev. He's just another one of those power players that is hit or miss.. berdych, gonzo, etc.. One day he's hot, the next day he'll lose 2-6, 1-6.

Dont forget he beat davydenko at around this time last year before losing to grosjean the next round.

Colpo
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Nothing special about korolev. He's just another one of those power players that is hit or miss.. berdych, gonzo, etc.. One day he's hot, the next day he'll lose 2-6, 1-6.

Dont forget he beat davydenko at around this time last year before losing to grosjean the next round.

He's only 19 ... and Berdych and Gonzo are both Masters-caliber and Masters-ranked players - when did that become a bad thing?