PDA

View Full Version : Gut is more durable than synthetic

lendl lives
03-11-2004, 01:10 PM
my stringer dropped a bomb on me yesterday. after following everyone's advice and finally stringing with gut (vs babolat 16 touch) my stringer (master stringer) said that gut will last longer that synthetic if strung correctly! I had always thought the opposite. go figure.

Loud
03-11-2004, 09:09 PM
It might if you keep it dry.

Rabbit
03-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Natural gut does last longer, it just costs a ton more than most synthetics. It's also best for bad arms and has the best combination of power/control of any string on the market. The new coatings manufacturers put on gut may take away a little of the old school feel that I loved growing up, but it makes it tolerate high humidity/moisture a lot better.

python
03-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Babolat claims natural gut keeps its playability 2X as long as a synthetic string does. I'm not inclined to argue. If you're not a string breaker, gut is a no-brainer. While it is a powerful string, it is controllable power. I've never experienced trampolining with gut that I have with multi-filament strings that have a few sets on them.

predrag
03-12-2004, 10:32 AM
my stringer dropped a bomb on me yesterday. after following everyone's advice and finally stringing with gut (vs babolat 16 touch) my stringer (master stringer) said that gut will last longer that synthetic if strung correctly! I had always thought the opposite. go figure.

I almost tend to agree.

My setup is Ti.Classic, BB Professional in the Mains, and Head SynGut crosses, @58lb .
I use Babolat ElastoCross.

This setup is lasting over a month. I do not hit seriously more than
3 times a week, but still, this is a looooooong time.

It depends on the racquet, of course. With YProRD70Long, I was
breaking strings after 9 hours of serious play.

Regards, Predrag

lendl lives
03-12-2004, 11:19 AM
ok guys after the first play test here are my observations/feelings: I played a friends mp tour 90 yonnex which was a demo strung with this yellow/goldish clear sting supposedly strung at 65 (around 16 gauge) a long time ago. so this is my basis for comparison. I bought a new yonnex mp tour 90 and had it strung at 64lb with vs babolat 16 touch............
i noticed that there was a softer feel. a bit more power. but also the string tension felt looser than 64. I noticed the feel of a trampoline on a couple of down the line shots. My question is does gut need to strung tighter than synthetic to get a simalar feel for control? Tks.

K. Wilson Moose
03-12-2004, 04:57 PM
LL,

Gut is very powerful, but great in lower powered flexy frames. I've found that a hybrid with gut in the mains and a solid core synthetic in the crosses works really well. I like Gosen OG Sheep Micro or Forten Sweet as a cross string. Makes for a cost effective gut hybrid with nice playability.

In a powerful frame, which is a relative term, you may want to bump up the tension a little for gut or gut hybrids.