PDA

View Full Version : miss hits

tomato123
09-05-2004, 04:57 PM
if i find myself making ball contact with the frame or the edges of my strings more, rather than the sweet spot, (especially on my backhand side, i use a 2-hander) what could be some possible causes of that?

perfmode
09-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Possible causes:

-Poor footwork
-Poor eye contact
-Not bending knees

tomato123
09-05-2004, 06:27 PM
okay, eye contact and knee bend, i could keep in mind and fix them if that is the problem, but how do i check if my footwork is off or not?

perfmode
09-05-2004, 06:49 PM
If you end up making contact with your feet planted and the ball never really ends up at the proper contact point.

jun
09-05-2004, 07:41 PM
could be for different reasons. Maybe you just need a bigger racket! Just kidding. Probably you are trying to do too much with the ball, and might be flicking wrist etc. It could also be you are not prepared early enough and rusing through entire motion.

thehustler
09-05-2004, 10:09 PM
My best guess is eye contact. I was mishitting the ball a lot on my 2hbh and I knew why. My footwork was good, I was there early and I had the knee bend but I always pulled my head just before contact to see where my opponent was. Yesterday I worked on that for a couple hours and then played a match. I kept my head still and was able to rip winners down the line and cross court with tons of pace, something I couldn't do very well before. It's amazing what you can do when you keep your head still and your eye on the ball.

Dopke
09-05-2004, 11:01 PM
I say most important, watching the ball and moving the feet. Constantly adjusting to the ball.

papa
09-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Watching the ball is a major factor.

I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the functions of each arm in the 2bh - many times this can be a factor in mis hits. If the left arm isn't pushing and the right hand isn't swinging (right handed) mis hits seem to be a common problem. I think many sort-of ROTATE the racquet around the belly button rather than keeping the head down, swinging throw the ball and finishing high (depending on topspin) over the right shoulder with both hand still on the racquet.

Another common problem seems to be hitting out of the strike zone or on the back foot without any weight shift forward. You see this often in hockey with players trying to take a slap-shot off the wrong foot - can't be done right.

Rickson
09-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Your head might be too closed at contact. Try a square face and see what happens.

Tim Tennis
09-07-2004, 08:21 AM
I like to think of Mis Hits as well disguised shots.

You got to love the game.