PDA

View Full Version : TTC Coming to DIRECTV in May

FuriousYellow
03-01-2007, 01:30 PM
My sources tell me TTC will be coming to DIRECTV in time for the FO and will be in free preview throughout the tournament.

BreakPoint
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Really?? That's great news!!!! :D It's about time, after dilly dallying for the past 3 years! :mad:

Do you have a link to your source?

Thanks.

Forehand Forever
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, link please. If it does I will have a good reason to get DIRECTV

ShooterMcMarco
03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Finally, yay. I'd like to see a confirmation link too though

alwaysatnet
03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
That is AWESOME news! I've been wondering when my dish provider was going to come into the new century. It's about time.

Shahar26
03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Really, thats great news, I CAN'T get DirectTV, I only have cable and there are alot of channels that I really want to have (that are on DirectTV) but can't.

Finally some justice (although it seems not for long ;) )

FuriousYellow
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Really?? That's great news!!!! :D It's about time, after dilly dallying for the past 3 years! :mad:

Do you have a link to your source?

Thanks.

No link. Insider source. I don't even know if it's been announced yet.

BabblingPsychopath
03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Yay! Great to finally hear that.

You wouldn't be messin' with us, would you?

FuriousYellow
03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Nope. People have been ranting about the lack of TTC on DIRECTV ever since I've been on this board, so I'd never kid about it

All I can say is it's confirmed that TTC is scheduled to start airing on DIRECTV. As I get more info like actual start date or viewer channel I will pass it along.

Fedexeon
03-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Wow, good news for the tennis fans in US. And they even provide free preview during RG.. =)

ShooterMcMarco
03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
i guess i'll season pass my tivo at home because its at my parents house, i dont have it at my apt

LN_Dad
03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Really, thats great news, I CAN'T get DirectTV, I only have cable and there are alot of channels that I really want to have (that are on DirectTV) but can't.

Finally some justice (although it seems not for long ;) )

why can't you? You live in canada?

ne1410is
03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
its kind of weird. most people in the us don't like tennis. therefore i would think that they would try to pawn off the tennis channel on everyone that subscribed to general DTV. there are always channels that they have that nobody likes or watches. but instead, you have to pay for it like it was some premium. but i think most people don't actually subscribe to it? i think it would be interesting to learn more about the situating of tennis channel in the market and its approach to distribution.

Jonas
03-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Bump this thread....any news on the confirmation?

jmsx521
03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Is TTC the Tennis Channel? What are the benefits of Direct TV... is Direct TV when you are able to record the show onto hard disk (TiVo?), or is it when you can specify when you want to watch a show? How much does it cost in comparison to Bright House Cable?

Shahar26
03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
why can't you? You live in canada?

I live in a Highrise building, they don't allow that :-(

Shahar26
03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Is TTC the Tennis Channel? What are the benefits of Direct TV... is Direct TV when you are able to record the show onto hard disk (TiVo?), or is it when you can specify when you want to watch a show? How much does it cost in comparison to Bright House Cable?

Direct TV is a satellite service, they are much better than cable since for some reason, they have alot more channels that regular cable providers don't have..

Except TTC it seems ;)

FuriousYellow
03-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Don't know anything about this website or who these guys are, but word is starting to leak out.

http://www.offthebaseline.com/2007/03/01/the-tennis-channel-directv-coming-soon

KBalla08
03-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Direct TV is a satellite service, they are much better than cable since for some reason, they have alot more channels that regular cable providers don't have..

Except TTC it seems ;)

ya satellite is really good when its windy or rains... haha thats y i got rid of it, cause it would rain for like, 30 seconds, and it would go out...

Fedexeon
03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
When will TTC finally come out from USA and become an international channel? =)

Fedace
03-03-2007, 06:16 PM
If comcast Illinois does not add tennis channel, maybe i can watch it on streaming, does anyone know anyone is going to stream it.?

Shahar26
03-03-2007, 06:41 PM
ya satellite is really good when its windy or rains... haha thats y i got rid of it, cause it would rain for like, 30 seconds, and it would go out...

My cable service is not much better, plus, as I said, there are soooo many channels the cable just does not have

FuriousYellow
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM

That's too bad, but if you have a patio with a Southern view, you can install it on there. Generally, the patio is considered part of your rented space and as long as the dish is not attached to anything outside of that rented space, FCC regulations prohibit your landlord from forcing you to take it down.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Shahar26
03-03-2007, 07:00 PM
That's too bad, but if you have a patio with a Southern view, you can install it on there. Generally, the patio is considered part of your rented space and as long as the dish is not attached to anything outside of that rented space, FCC regulations prohibit your landlord from forcing you to take it down.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Unfortunately in all my recent buildings I did not have a southern view, also, when I asked the dish company they said it has to be mounted outside (it can't pass a signal through glass) and I don't have a balcony either :-(

Forehand Forever
03-03-2007, 08:22 PM

I found this from ESPN tennis forum thing.

lorenza
03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
yess! so excited, finally gonna have TTC :D :D :D

ibemadskillzz
03-03-2007, 08:55 PM
tennis channel open in on TTC today. all ATP tournaments are on my tennis cahnnel

BreakPoint
03-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I've had DirecTV for over 6 years and never had my service interrupted due to weather. :D

LN_Dad
03-03-2007, 09:34 PM

NOt true here. My reception is super clear no matter wind rain or whatever.

LN_Dad
03-03-2007, 09:38 PM

I found this from ESPN tennis forum thing.
Cool, thanks for sharing.

lorenza
03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I've had DirecTV for over 6 years and never had my service interrupted due to weather. :D

NOt true here. My reception is super clear no matter wind rain or whatever.

wow, that is amazing. mine always gets messed up when it rains, although if it is just light rain, it's fine. but still, gets annoying...

LN_Dad
03-03-2007, 09:48 PM
wow, that is amazing. mine always gets messed up when it rains, although if it is just light rain, it's fine. but still, gets annoying...

By any chance do you have an older dish (older than 5yrs) or may be the guy who installed it for you didn't tighten it down enough so it moves a little when the rain hits it or the wind blows.

lorenza
03-03-2007, 09:56 PM
By any chance do you have an older dish (older than 5yrs) or may be the guy who installed it for you didn't tighten it down enough so it moves a little when the rain hits it or the wind blows.

no, the dish is definitely not that old, but i guess it could be that the wind/ rain move it when they come. i never thought about that, but seems possible.

isuk@tennis
03-05-2007, 03:32 AM
no, the dish is definitely not that old, but i guess it could be that the wind/ rain move it when they come. i never thought about that, but seems possible.

could be that they didn't aim it right too...the guy that installed my dish when i looked at his signal strength reader box thing it only lit up 3 of the 5 lights so i guess when cloud cover came the signal loss was below threshold for picture so mine cut off a couple of times....luckily i was in the trial period and canceled...among other reasons i didn't like it

Jonas
03-06-2007, 12:20 PM
gotta keep this thread bumped up..
any new news?

BiGGieStuFF
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Any idea how much extra?

lorenza
03-06-2007, 01:10 PM
could be that they didn't aim it right too...the guy that installed my dish when i looked at his signal strength reader box thing it only lit up 3 of the 5 lights so i guess when cloud cover came the signal loss was below threshold for picture so mine cut off a couple of times....luckily i was in the trial period and canceled...among other reasons i didn't like it

well actually when we first got it installed it wasn't aimed right, but then we got it fixed, but it still does go out when it rains a lot. the only problem is that where i live we are classified as being out in the middle of nowhere (which is so not true!) so the only other tv service that we could get is cable from a local company which actually goes out a million times more often than does directv....:neutral:

norcal
03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
My sources tell me TTC will be coming to DIRECTV in time for the FO and will be in free preview throughout the tournament.
WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pound cat
03-06-2007, 04:18 PM
WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attn. Canadians. If you get/have a satellite dish that gets Direct TV, you can warch TTC...all day long! NOW!

lorenza
03-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Attn. Canadians. If you get/have a satellite dish that gets Direct TV, you can warch TTC...all day long! NOW!

ONLY canadians? what is this?! :mad:

STRman
03-08-2007, 05:03 AM
I contacted DirectTV yesterday and they told me that they do not have plans for carrying The Tennis Channel.

I'm sorry; as you know, we don't carry the Tennis Channel right now and we donít currently have plans to add it to our lineup. However, we often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management. If we decide to carry this channel, would you like to receive an email when itís available? If so, please reply to this email to confirm that you agree to be contacted.

When we add channels to our lineup we release a statement to the press so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our website at directv.com/pr.

Thanks for writing.

Sincerely,

Rebecca T
Employee ID #100128908
DIRECTV Customer Service

simi
03-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I contacted DirectTV yesterday and they told me that they do not have plans for carrying The Tennis Channel.

Bummer for you DirectTV folks. I've enjoyed TTC on Dish Network for the past year or so. Enjoy the 'tutorials', even though they repeat often. Been dumping them onto the DVR and converting onto the video iPod. Lots of classic Davis Cup matches. They even show doubles. YEAH!

For you DirectTV subscribers, everytime you have need to call DirectTV, ask them for TTC. The more requests they get, the sooner they will carry the channel. Good luck.

norcal
03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I contacted DirectTV yesterday and they told me that they do not have plans for carrying The Tennis Channel. I fully support shooting the messenger.

ShooterMcMarco
03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Don't worry, that woman hasn't been updated with the latest news. I fully expect the TTC to be on DirectTV in may :)

lorenza
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't worry, that woman hasn't been updated with the latest news. I fully expect the TTC to be on DirectTV in may :)

wishful thinking eh? :p haha, but no, i really think that they will have no choice but to get it. if they don't i think i will have to kill someone....

Shahar26
03-09-2007, 01:25 PM
wishful thinking eh? :p haha, but no, i really think that they will have no choice but to get it. if they don't i think i will have to kill someone....

I say kill someone for all the time they didn't have it, just make sure you make it look like an accident :twisted:

pound cat
03-09-2007, 03:02 PM

Your sources are behind the time. It's already on Direct TV satellite...we're watching it in Canada anyway.

fr600
03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
good to know

BreakPoint
03-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Your sources are behind the time. It's already on Direct TV satellite...we're watching it in Canada anyway.
What channel is TTC on your DirecTV?

jamauss
03-09-2007, 10:02 PM
DirecTV is coming up lately...

they're supposed to have 150+ HD channels sometime soon too....I've got 2 HDTV's so I'm looking at them very closely now.

Jonas
03-10-2007, 08:00 AM
does the original poster of this thread have any new info...
Are you still sure that DIrec TV is going to have TTC before the French Open.

WhiteSox05CA
03-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Hooray!! !

BiGGieStuFF
03-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Wow lately canada has been getting my 2 favorite things first.

First it was Heroes being aired on Sunday and now TTC on DirecTV

Fedexeon
03-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Canadian Direct TV subscribers already have TTC available. I think its only matter of time before the americans have it.

lorenza
03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I say kill someone for all the time they didn't have it, just make sure you make it look like an accident :twisted:

oh yeah, someone's going to have a big accident :twisted:

BreakPoint
03-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Canadian Direct TV subscribers already have TTC available. I think its only matter of time before the americans have it.
What DirecTV channel is it on in Canada?

BTW, it almost makes no sense to offer it in Canada first as how many tennis players/fans are there in Canada versus the U.S.? :confused: If DirecTV is just testing the market, then I think it's designed to fail, as they'll put on TTC in Canada and then find that very few Canadians are watching the channel and then decide that TTC is not that popular and people don't want to watch tennis on TV. From these test results they may decide that it's not worth rolling out TTC in the U.S. nor anywhere else.

Craig Sheppard
03-10-2007, 01:20 PM
DirecTV is coming up lately...

they're supposed to have 150+ HD channels sometime soon too....I've got 2 HDTV's so I'm looking at them very closely now.

I assume you're referring to the commercials that tout they will have the CAPACITY for 150 HD channels. There aren't 150 HD channels in existence yet... unless they plan on forgoing US channels for international ones, and even then I'm not sure there are close to that many. All they advertise in their commercials is they have more HD capacity than cable.

pound cat
03-10-2007, 03:10 PM
What channel is TTC on your DirecTV?

Unfortunately it's not my dish, but I'll ask the person who has it what channel it is.

FuriousYellow
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Yes, DTV will be airing TTC's coverage of RG for the duration of the tournament (5/27 through 6/10). It will be a free preview to DTV customers but will be a special event and not the start of TTC as a regular service. TTC will not start as a regular viewer channel until August from what I'm told.

Before anyone asks, "Why did they move it back to August?", that may have been the plan all along and the information I got only pertained to the free preview of RG.

No information on what channel it will be on, but that's not surprising since it's a special event and months away and those channels aren't always visible in your program guide until just before the event goes to air.

As far as the guy in Canada claiming he's watching it on DTV, I'll have to check to see if it's even being uplinked yet. If it is, then he's watching it illegally. Either that or he's got DTV confused with Dish Network.

BreakPoint
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the update, FY! :D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what you're saying is true. :D

Too bad it won't come back full time until August, though. :-(

LN_Dad
03-21-2007, 08:56 AM
I assume you're referring to the commercials that tout they will have the CAPACITY for 150 HD channels. There aren't 150 HD channels in existence yet... unless they plan on forgoing US channels for international ones, and even then I'm not sure there are close to that many. All they advertise in their commercials is they have more HD capacity than cable.

They will have many more HD channels in june but the catch is you will have to lease a new HD receiver and dish from them to get these. The DTV technician showed me this new dish that's huge with 5 lnbs on it that will get all those HD channels if you're willing to pay.

norcal
03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Yes, DTV will be airing TTC's coverage of RG for the duration of the tournament (5/27 through 6/10). It will be a free preview to DTV customers but will be a special event and not the start of TTC as a regular service. TTC will not start as a regular viewer channel until August from what I'm told.

Before anyone asks, "Why did they move it back to August?", that may have been the plan all along and the information I got only pertained to the free preview of RG.

No information on what channel it will be on, but that's not surprising since it's a special event and months away and those channels aren't always visible in your program guide until just before the event goes to air.

As far as the guy in Canada claiming he's watching it on DTV, I'll have to check to see if it's even being uplinked yet. If it is, then he's watching it illegally. Either that or he's got DTV confused with Dish Network.

I have a feeling I will be coming down with tennis flu during the FO!

Jonas
03-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I have a feeling I will be coming down with tennis flu during the FO!

I am with you Norcal,
If this furrious Yellow guy is legit than I might be missing some work as well :)
Keep us posted, PLEASE!

pound cat
03-22-2007, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=BreakPoint;1304178]What DirecTV channel is it on in Canada?

Here's how Canadians watch TTC from a person who watches it on her dish.

"the number on the Tennis channel is 12282V & I dont know what it means. Apparently there are 2 receivers under one dish ."

And that's all she knows and all I know. She just watches it and I just wish I could watch...

LN_Dad
03-22-2007, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=BreakPoint;1304178]What DirecTV channel is it on in Canada?

"the number on the Tennis channel is 12282V & I dont know what it means. Apparently there are 2 receivers under one dish ."

And that's all she knows and all I know. She just watches it and I just wish I could watch...

That doesn't sound like a Directv channel. Did you see what kind of receiver she has? I'd bet it's some sort of FTA setup and not a Directv feed.

BreakPoint
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
[quote=BreakPoint;1304178]What DirecTV channel is it on in Canada?

My DirecTV channles only have 3 digits. "12282V" doesn't sound like a DirecTV channel number.

pound cat
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
[quote=pound cat;1329141]

My DirecTV channles only have 3 digits. "12282V" doesn't sound like a DirecTV channel number.

I told you she doesn't know anything about it. She just dials in and watches it. Another Canadian mystery.

FuriousYellow
03-22-2007, 07:42 PM

No, they won't be international HD channels and it won't be like VOOM where they just aggregate types of existing HD content onto channels. These will be the HD versions of existing channels you already know. DTV has deals with them to start providing HD versions of their content.

Here is a listing of some of the channels that will be offerred:

HDTV Magazine (http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2007/01/directv_to_offer_100_national_hd_channels_in_2007. php)

As far as the Canadian claim of watching TTC on DTV, it's not true. They aren't even uplinking this channel to the satellite yet, so it couldn't be coming from them.

rafa_prestige89
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Anybody know if DirecTV will show the TTC in Brazil also??

nomalt
03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
There was a TTC booth at IW. I inquired about it while I was there, and they replied that there was first going to be a free preview. If that is successful, you can count it being on DirecTV full time. (Not really sure if they would have a preview and then NOT carry it, but you never know.)

So everyone who has Direct....turn your tv to the preview even if you leave the house!

FuriousYellow
04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
More confirmation.

In other DirecTV new-media news, Shanks said the company will serve up multiple-court coverage of the French Open to support the Tennis Channel's presentation of the Grand Slam tournament this spring. Similar to the coverage it provided for last summer's U.S. Open, DirecTV will offer multiple live channels from the tournament, which begins in May, as well as a special "French Open Mix" channel that will feature all live feeds, according to Shanks.
In addition, DirecTV will preview the Tennis Channel during the two weeks of the French Open before launching the service full-time later this fall.
"Tennis fans are passionate, and that's the kind of demographic that you have to go after," Shanks said. "You're catering to the people who are passionate about that product who may switch to DirecTV because they feel you're doing something nice for them or they'll stay with us."

Full Article

LINK (http://nab.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=123156)

BreakPoint
04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
That's AWESOME!!!!! :D

I can't wait!! The multiple court coverage and the multi-screen (6 courts on one screen) "Mix" during the US Open on DirecTV was incredible last year. I could pick and choose the most interesting match to watch and go to that channel for the full-screen coverage. I'm very happy that they're doing it for the French Open also. :D

It was a very long and painful wait but it looks like DirecTV is finally coming through with TTC! :D

Thanks for the terrific news!! :grin:

johnathan smith
04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
This is the confirmation I have been looking for.
Thanks,!

splink779
04-10-2007, 07:31 PM
So lets say I was going to get DirecTV, would TTC be included in a particular package, or be a separate add on? I'm having trouble contacting the morons - they claim they know nothing.

FuriousYellow
04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Don't be too hard on the customer service reps. They can only pass along information that's been passed along to them and this information obviously hasn't been made available to them yet. The article I linked was posted only a week ago and it's the first public confirmation from anyone at DTV of their intent to carry TTC I've seen. I can say that Shanks is one of the top bananas at DTV, so if he says it's coming you can pretty much bank on it.

Since the channel is not scheduled to launch as a full time service until August, the package information may not even be decided yet but I will see what I can find out.

johnathan smith
04-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Don't be too hard on the customer service reps. They can only pass along information that's been passed along to them and this information obviously hasn't been made available to them yet. The article I linked was posted only a week ago and it's the first public confirmation from anyone at DTV of their intent to carry TTC I've seen. I can say that Shanks is one of the top bananas at DTV, so if he says it's coming you can pretty much bank on it.

Since the channel is not scheduled to launch as a full time service until August, the package information may not even be decided yet but I will see what I can find out.

Hey Furious,
That's great news. Are you still expecting that they will run the free FO preview in a month?

FuriousYellow
04-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Hey Furious,
That's great news. Are you still expecting that they will run the free FO preview in a month?

Yes, that's the plan. DTV is trying to promote TTC with this preview during the FO. As you may recall, the mix channel was free during the US Open last year as well.

I expect the mix channel will run longer than the first week of coverage like it did at the USO because, as you may also recall, TTC purchased exclusive broadcast rights to the FO beginning in 2007. NBC will still have it's coverage, but those of you expecting to watch matches on ESPN2 might be out of luck.

ShooterMcMarco
04-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Another article about DTV carrying TTC:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-tennischannel-directv&prov=ap&type=lgns

splink779
04-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Another article about DTV carrying TTC:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-tennischannel-directv&prov=ap&type=lgns

Good! I don't see how customer service reps can claim ignorance now!

ShooterMcMarco
04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Pretty cool that we'll get a second feed in HD. I think I'll write them a thank you letter now ;)

FuriousYellow
04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the link ShooterMarco.

I did see during one of the women's tournaments on ESPN2 last week that they would be covering the FO, so those without TTC will still get to see some of it.

Jonas
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
ESPN will be covering some of it, but as long as you have direct tv you'll get the free preview, along with the multiple court coverage.

jamauss
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
This pretty much settles it then. I'm going to switch to DirecTV. I get charged too much already as it is for inferior HD channels.

Planet Earth is awesome, though.

Jack & Coke
04-17-2007, 08:16 AM
DirecTV to carry Tennis Channel

The Tennis Channel will be carried by satellite provider DirecTV beginning this summer under a multiyear distribution agreement that was to be announced Monday.

The deal will nearly double the number of households that get The Tennis Channel, which went on the air in 2003 and is currently in about 10 million U.S. homes.

"This is a watershed moment,'' network chairman and CEO Ken Solomon said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "If you're in the distribution business, this is what clearly and indelibly forever puts you on the map.''

There isn't a firm date yet for the launch, Solomon said, but it probably will happen in late August, putting The Tennis Channel on tiers that reach roughly 8 million DirecTV subscribers.

Then, in late November or early December, DirecTV will carry a second feed of The Tennis Channel in high definition.

"Kenny's done a great job at acquiring high-profile events,'' said Eric Shanks, DirecTV executive vice president of entertainment, "and he really is making The Tennis Channel 'THE tennis channel.'''

As part of the agreement, all 16 million DirecTV customers will have access to The Tennis Channel's coverage of the French Open, which starts May 27.

The DirecTV distribution is the latest in a series of recent moves to expand The Tennis Channel's reach and lift its profile.

That includes hosting an ATP tournament, adding the U.S. Tennis Association as an investor, buying TV rights to a Grand Slam tournament for the first time, and an agreement with ESPN to share U.S. cable TV and multimedia rights for the French Open and Australian Open through 2011.

"There has been a very clear building process over the lasts 12 months here,'' Solomon said. "We're not done yet. That's all I can tell you. It's been a careful and calculated yet rapid building process.''

source: http://www.tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=74116

katarddx
04-17-2007, 10:52 AM

i believe they HAVE to allow it since there is a law - something about of freedom of watching different cultures etc, etc... if the actuall dish is smaller than 1m. look it up on dishetwork.com they have it somewhere....