PDA

View Full Version : Mens Tennis VS Womens Tennis - Who would you rather watch ?

larlarbd
03-02-2007, 06:13 AM
This Poll was Originally started by WayneCM ( so the idea credit goes to him ) . But His Poll seems a bit one sided since he had only two options & we have a majority of Male voters . So I'm trying to come up with a better optioned pole .

IT WAS IN!!!
03-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Men's tennis is much more competitive, much faster, and rather more eye catching then having to listen to the women shrieking (oops I meant sharapova but she is enough for the whole WTA)

larlarbd
03-02-2007, 06:31 AM
I'd watch Great Players - instead of choosing really . Men or Women - I'd watch for both good players .

SamprasFOREVER
03-02-2007, 06:49 AM
I'd watch Great Players - instead of choosing really . Men or Women - I'd watch for both good players .

I agree . but I slightly slant towards Mens tennis for some reason . I used to watch womens tennis when Kourni was on for the *ECCENTRIC* reason above . That was some bounce.

AsgerHO
03-02-2007, 07:08 AM
I definetely prefere men´s tennis.
When there are not men´s tennis on TV, I can watch women´s tennis, it´s ok, mostly the good players.

But in general I find women´s tennis quite boring. There are not different types in the same way as ón the ATP tour - like Gonzalez who´s a hard hitter, the Spain players who are more clay types etc.

I don´t find these different types on the WTA tour, therefore I think it becomes much more trivial, with same rallies on and on.

So basically I don´t mind watching some tennis from the WTA tour, but I prefere men´s tennis without a doubt

tuk
03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
If there is nothing better to do, like watching grass grow or rain fall, I would watch women's tennis......

Warriorroger
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Now men's tennis, when Steffi Graf was playing I prefered women's tennis. Especially her matches against Sabatini.

SamprasFOREVER
03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Now men's tennis, when Steffi Graf was playing I prefered women's tennis. Especially her matches against Sabatini.

Those were some great matches - Yes , now we have shreikapova screaming her lungs out . Just not Classic like Graf-Sabatini.

bluetrain4
03-02-2007, 12:08 PM
The players and matchups really do matter. Graf, Sabatini, Seles, Mandlikova, Navratilova, Novatna, Hingis, Capriati, Davenport, Henin, Mauresmo, and a few others. Love watching them play. Also liked Conchita Martinez and Chandra Rubin and early Williams sisters as long as they weren't playing each other.

Note that some of these players are power baseliners, but I don't think they are "mindless bashers" the way players are today. (Take a look at the '91 or '92 (I forget which one) US Open Semi between Capriati and Seles - sublime women's power tennis.) Also, many of the big hitters today can't move. With the excpetion of Davenport, the big hitters above were good or excellent movers, which made the game more exciting.

A run of the mill 2nd or 3rd round match, I'd usually go with the men.

bluetrain4
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
I'd add Mary Pierce to the above list. Yeah, she's a power player without great movement, but there was something exciting in how she hit the ball. Given her inconsistentcy and injuries, her place in tennis history is limited, but when she was on she could clock the ball as well as anyone before or since.

lorenza
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
If there is nothing better to do, like watching grass grow or rain fall, I would watch women's tennis......

oh i love watching rain fall! :D but yeah, i would much prefer to watch men's tennis...most of the women just annoy me...

larlarbd
03-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd add Mary Pierce to the above list. Yeah, she's a power player without great movement, but there was something exciting in how she hit the ball. Given her inconsistentcy and injuries, her place in tennis history is limited, but when she was on she could clock the ball as well as anyone before or since.

Pierce at the AO was among any top player I've seen.

larlarbd
03-03-2007, 08:53 AM
More Votes ?! Guys/Gals ?

moxio
03-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I'll watch either, but if both are on, definitely men's tennis.

Captain
03-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Anyone who watches womens "tennis" cannot be interested in the tennis element! It's a lottery on who makes the most mistakes. This weeks tennis has demonstrated, yet again, that there is a world of difference in skill, fitness and talent levels between the two games.

larlarbd
03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Anyone who watches womens "tennis" cannot be interested in the tennis element! It's a lottery on who makes the most mistakes. This weeks tennis has demonstrated, yet again, that there is a world of difference in skill, fitness and talent levels between the two games.

His theory has been supported by Voters . Although we have an option of MEN/WOMEN equal & MEN/but When Both going on - so far 60% has voted outright MEN .
SO , he is quite correct.

larlarbd
03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
That Brings Out My next question ?
Why are we paying them equal when MEN's Tennis is clearly a better deal ? I'd say thats unfair to MEN in general. Men are getting paid same for a job better done . why ? Which is quite UNFAIR indeed.

ilovecarlos
03-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Men, Men, Men...if gun is put to head and women are playing too, then will watch unless Shriekapova is playing...then I turn off the TV. Monica Seles ruined womens tennis when she started (and the powers that be allowed it to continue) shrieking.:-(

Nick Irons
03-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Interesting note on the grunters

It oughta be eliminated. I can understand getting tinto some intense rally and starting to lose the physical strength and then every shot is like lifting that extra rep, but the everyshot/everytime grunts are absurd.

Topaz
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Well I'm certainly not watching because of the 'bounce' factor.

You guys all are always so quick to bash the quality of women's tennis and state that you could easily take on a WTA tour player...and then you wake up.

And seriously, the women don't have the market cornered on annoying grunting...there are plenty of men who are just as annoying.

They also don't have the market cornered on sloppy matches.

G4t0
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Only Men's tennis. The womens don't have guts when they are playing and her matches are very boring.

Shahar26
03-03-2007, 03:59 PM
To me it really depends on who is playing....

I like really hate watching a game where there are more aces than good rallies and it seems women's matches have less aces.

With that said, most of my all time favorite matches were men...

Mick
03-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I prefer watching women's matches over the men's matches because I feel am closer to their levels, so I could learn something from watching the matches. The men's hit 120 mph serves, 80 mph forehands, and don't choke under extreme pressure. I can't learn anything from watching them .

Topaz
03-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I definetely prefere menīs tennis.
When there are not menīs tennis on TV, I can watch womenīs tennis, itīs ok, mostly the good players.

But in general I find womenīs tennis quite boring. There are not different types in the same way as ón the ATP tour - like Gonzalez whoīs a hard hitter, the Spain players who are more clay types etc.

I donīt find these different types on the WTA tour, therefore I think it becomes much more trivial, with same rallies on and on.

So basically I donīt mind watching some tennis from the WTA tour, but I prefere menīs tennis without a doubt

'Crafty' players = Henin, Mauresmo, Hingis, Kirilenko, Chakevatadze (or however that is spelled), Schnyder, Schiavone

Power hitters = Sharapova, anyone with the last name of Williams, Dementieva, Vaidasova, Safina, Safarova

Counterpunchers = Clijsters, Kuznetsova

Clay types = all those Spanish and South American women

And I'm sure I'm missing many.

You know, if you prefer men's tennis, that's fine, but please don't try to say you can't find all the 'different' types of players on the women's side as well.

Voltron
03-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I'll watch either, but if both are on, definitely men's tennis.

I guess we think alike then. :)

heycal
03-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I voted for men and women equally, but you might want to consider another category along the lines of "depends on what particular players are competing." The actual players are more important to me than gender: I'd rather watch Henin v. Mauresmo than Lubijec v. Davydenko, but rather watch Federer v. Nadal then Kuznetsova v. Clisters, etc. I very much looked forward to the AO finals on the women's side, Sharapova v. S. Williams, but wasn't very excited by Federer v. Gonzalez.

EDIT: In contrast, my girlfriend pretty much hates women's tennis and will only watch it if desperate. We had fantastic seats in Ashe at the USO this year, and when it came time for Henin v. Davenport in the quarter finals, in Davenport's last match ever, she left the stadium to go get a good seat in Amstrong for Nadal's match v. Youzhny later that afternoon -- or maybe just to go get drunk in the bar or something, I can't remember exactly what now. The main point is that this woman got up and LEFT THE STADIUM when the girls came on to play, and I was like "I ain't going with you, babe. I'm staying right here to watch two famous Grand Slam winners face-off against each other from these fantastic seats. I'll catch up with you later..."

ne1410is
03-03-2007, 05:56 PM
i used to like men's and women's equally but i like women's better now. it seems like their personalities make it more interesting for me. with the men, i get bored a lot or more annoyed.

larlarbd
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I voted for men and women equally, but you might want to consider another category along the lines of "depends on what particular players are competing." The actual players are more important to me than gender: I'd rather watch Henin v. Mauresmo than Lubijec v. Davydenko, but rather watch Federer v. Nadal then Kuznetsova v. Clisters, etc. I very much looked forward to the AO finals on the women's side, Sharapova v. S. Williams, but wasn't very excited by Federer v. Gonzalez.

EDIT: In contrast, my girlfriend pretty much hates women's tennis and will only watch it if desperate. We had fantastic seats in Ashe at the USO this year, and when it came time for Henin v. Davenport in the quarter finals, in Davenport's last match ever, she left the stadium to go get a good seat in Amstrong for Nadal's match v. Youzhny later that afternoon -- or maybe just to go get drunk in the bar or something, I can't remember exactly what now. The main point is that this woman got up and LEFT THE STADIUM when the girls came on to play, and I was like "I ain't going with you, babe. I'm staying right here to watch two famous Grand Slam winners face-off against each other from these fantastic seats. I'll catch up with you later..."

aha .... YUP , No shame in admitting a mistake . Guys I should have Put a Option thats says something like :
" MEN/Women Doesn't matter I watch either where there is great Rivalry or something ?" - right ?
I can't change the poll option since it started already . but Your suggested option is a VERY GOOD one indeed . Thank You .
Still , it's very interesting to see the current Poll results.

heycal
03-03-2007, 07:01 PM
aha .... YUP , No shame in admitting a mistake . Guys I should have Put a Option thats says something like :
" MEN/Women Doesn't matter I watch either where there is great Rivalry or something ?" - right ?
I can't change the poll option since it started already . but Your suggested option is a VERY GOOD one indeed . Thank You .
Still , it's very interesting to see the current Poll results.

A "mistake" is a strong word to use for something as trivial as this, so there's no need to apologize or anything. Life will go on, and for those of who feel this way, the "men and woman equally" option will just have to do...

Are you a man or woman, Larlabad?... (EDIT: just noticed your sig. Sounds like a you use a 'guy' racket.) It might also be interesting to see how people voted according to their own gender -- I guess that's another mistake you made!

Fedexeon
03-03-2007, 07:02 PM
i think i have come to the point that i will watch any matches, men or women, as long as there is tennis in TV.

tennisboy87
03-03-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd much rather watch men's tennis.

larlarbd
03-03-2007, 09:02 PM
A "mistake" is a strong word to use for something as trivial as this, so there's no need to apologize or anything. Life will go on, and for those of who feel this way, the "men and woman equally" option will just have to do...

Are you a man or woman, Larlabad?... (EDIT: just noticed your sig. Sounds like a you use a 'guy' racket.) It might also be interesting to see how people voted according to their own gender -- I guess that's another mistake you made!

I'm a guy offcourse - gals are not gonna Poll something that will clearly shows them as losers , I'm specially disturbed by the fact of Equal Money - Womens already get paid *A LOT* . I respect them as equal , but why are they not working as equal ?

FED spends 35+hrs to win AUS2007 , Williams spends 21+hrs - does that sound equal to you ? Then some r*tarded id*ot talked about quality not quantity , WTF ?
Quality ? You think Williams quality is even 40% to FED ?

I say if you want true respect - earn it . Woman - You Play 5-setter or You take 3/5th the prize money of MENs .

Fair or No-fair , tell me ??!!

heycal
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm a guy offcourse - gals are not gonna Poll something that will clearly shows them as losers , I'm specially disturbed by the fact of Equal Money - Womens already get paid *A LOT* . I respect them as equal , but why are they not working as equal ?

FED spends 35+hrs to win AUS2007 , Williams spends 21+hrs - does that sound equal to you ? Then some r*tarded id*ot talked about quality not quantity , WTF ?
Quality ? You think Williams quality is even 40% to FED ?

I say if you want true respect - earn it . Woman - You Play 5-setter or You take 3/5th the prize money of MENs .

Fair or No-fair , tell me ??!!

I've actually never thought about the issue of equal pay before. Are you telling that Federer had to spend 35 hours on court -- almost a full 40 hour work week! --to earn the same 1 million dollar check that Serena made for a paltry 21 hours of work? That's an outrage!

Have you thought of starting a thread on the subject?

RafaN RichardG
03-04-2007, 05:19 AM
i feel like i can learn from watching both, i mean im not gonna watch a boring match like federer's massacre of any first round opponent if it gets boring, over a mauresmo/henin/williams, just because theyre guys
so i appreciate watching both, i'm not above any of the players as to where i can't watch it cause of their gender, i love tennis too much for that

fr600
03-04-2007, 06:45 AM
When I want to watch the game, I watch mens tennis. But when I want to watch players, I watch womens tennis.

larlarbd
03-04-2007, 08:41 AM
I've actually never thought about the issue of equal pay before. Are you telling that Federer had to spend 35 hours on court -- almost a full 40 hour work week! --to earn the same 1 million dollar check that Serena made for a paltry 21 hours of work? That's an outrage!

Have you thought of starting a thread on the subject?

A thread is already going on this subj - I'd like to do a Poll of some sort that fairly asseses if Equal pay unfair to MEN since the format is different ..........

Yes indeed & think about the other MEN ?! FED ( FED stayed apprx 30-35hrs on court )dropped no sets & played fairly quick - think about those guys with 5-setters that last avg. 5-6-hrs , when with women it's MAX 25-hrs Full Tourney. I say NO FAIR .

link for the Equal Pay thread :
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=119653

KTE89
03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I prefer watching women's matches over the men's matches because I feel am closer to their levels, so I could learn something from watching the matches. The men's hit 120 mph serves, 80 mph forehands, and don't choke under extreme pressure. I can't learn anything from watching them .

Guys don't choke? OK.:confused: Did you see the 2006 U.S. Open match between Nalbandian and Safin? In the 5th set tiebreak, there were at least 3 double faults and some routine missed shots.

How about 2005 Australian Open Roddick vs. Hewitt? Roddick should have won that match easily, but he choked in the tiebreaks.

How about 2005 Masters Cup Nalbandian vs. Federer? Nalbandian was up 4-0 or 4-1 in the final set but Federer came back to serve for the match at. Fed was up 30-love, but he choked and lost the match in a tie break.

I may be watching the wrong matches and I love men's tennis, but the men do choke sometimes. I don't know, maybe the women choke more, but the women generally don't have huge weapons to win points (great serve, like Andy Roddick, Roger Federer's forehand,etc.), making it more difficult mentally.

larlarbd
03-06-2007, 12:58 AM
So , far no one has chosen the 'homer simpson' lazy option - that's a releif.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
03-06-2007, 01:43 AM

Agreed ! Equal pay means equal performance! and we are in the field of pros ! and the best one is Federer and if someone should get the same pay as he does well it is fair if they have a performance close to his no?