PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watched "HERO" by Jet Li??

tennisnoob
09-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Just watched it yesterday, some of the fighting scenes are just simply unreal!!! Is it true they say that Jet Li is from Shao Lin Temple?

jayserinos99
09-05-2004, 11:49 PM
i watched it a while back from a friend's dvd. i loved how each of the colors represented a different story.

mucat
09-06-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't know if he is from Shao Lin temple or not, but he is the real deal. Now, if Jet Li vs. Bruce Lee, who would win...

Dopke
09-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Hero has been out for quite some time in Asian countries. More than 2 years I think?

perfmode
09-06-2004, 12:07 AM
I don't know if he is from Shao Lin temple or not, but he is the real deal. Now, if Jet Li vs. Bruce Lee, who would win...

Bruce Lee could knock you off your feet and wind you with a 1" punch.

jayserinos99
09-06-2004, 12:16 AM
^^ yah dopke, hero has been out for a while.

tennisnoob
09-06-2004, 12:21 AM
I would say both Bruce Lee & Jet Li has rather diffrent styles of martial arts, Jet Li seems to know more variety of chinese fighting styles after I've done a search on the web, like Taichi, Southern Boxing, and just about every known martial arts from Shaolin and yes its confirmed he's from Shaolin Temple of China. In fact his first film was called Shaolin according to the web.

XRanger
09-06-2004, 12:31 AM
not only Jet Li knows various fighting styles, but he also has mastered about 18 different types of martial arts weapons

jun
09-06-2004, 12:42 AM
That movie was out in Asia 1~2 years ago. Good traditional chinese martial arts movie.

Jet Li is not from Shaolin Temple. He actually attended sports school when he was very young and that's where he learned martial arts. His first movie was called Shaolin Temple, but he was never related to the temple.

Jet Li and Bruce Lee are walking two different ways in martial arts. I think Bruce Lee was a lot more into sparring, physical side of it. He really knew a lot about fighting, martial arts and had a lot of philosophies in them. More important than anything, Bruce Lee seemed to have that killer instinct.

Jet Li, I think, sees Martial Arts as a form of training yourself. I don't think he really sparrs that much. He is a strong advocate of peace....

James Brown
09-06-2004, 09:38 AM
came out in 2002. the movie itself isnt bad, the fight scenes arent impressive tho. when america watched crouching tiger for the first time (those who hadnt seen hk cinema before) THAT was impressive. this just comes off cheesy. if you want good fight scenes, get some of the older hk stuff. 36th chamber of shaolin, return to the 36th chamber, disciples of the 36th chamber, shogun assasin (more killing than anything, but wtv),etc. heck, rent a couple of jackie chan flicks (half a loaf of kung fu, drunken master (the first one that came out, i think it was released on dvd in the us). but skip hero.

Tennis Guy
09-06-2004, 02:18 PM
I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

tennisnoob
09-06-2004, 06:50 PM
That movie was out in Asia 1~2 years ago. Good traditional chinese martial arts movie.

Jet Li is not from Shaolin Temple. He actually attended sports school when he was very young and that's where he learned martial arts. His first movie was called Shaolin Temple, but he was never related to the temple.

Jet Li and Bruce Lee are walking two different ways in martial arts. I think Bruce Lee was a lot more into sparring, physical side of it. He really knew a lot about fighting, martial arts and had a lot of philosophies in them. More important than anything, Bruce Lee seemed to have that killer instinct.

Jet Li, I think, sees Martial Arts as a form of training yourself. I don't think he really sparrs that much. He is a strong advocate of peace....

Thanks Jun for the correct info, my mistake.

Joe Average
09-06-2004, 07:38 PM
I plan to see "Hero" for the filmmaking more than the martial arts. I'm a little tired of the all the wire stuff. It was cool in "Crouching Tiger," but when it appeared in the Charlie's Angels movies, it suddenly got very old. Jet Li, I believe, was the Chinese kung fu champion ... as Chuck Norris was a US karate champion. Speaking of which, Norris's fight scene with Bruce Lee, I believe in "Return of the Dragon," is supposedly the most exciting fight scene ever filmed. (Bruce had his own hybrid style. He was an admirer of Muhammad Ali, and copied his footwork.) I actually prefer Jet Li to Jackie Chan, who seems more interested in being Buster Keaton than Bruce Lee. Jet, however, needs to develop a personality more interesting than "stoic." "Fist of Legend" is very good if you should find it in your video store.

bookem
09-06-2004, 07:40 PM
If memory serves me right, Jet Li is actually a practitioner of Wu Shu, which is more a dance-style martial art and demonstration sport. Bruce Lee started with the Wing Chun Gung Fu style and later developed Jeet Kune Do from careful observations and analyses of various martial arts around the world, including boxing, savate, capoeira, arnis, and various Japanese, Korean, and Okinawan styles.

Hero has been out for a couple of years in this part of the world (BTW, it's the costliest Chinese/Japanese production to date) with DVDs in various forms available for almost 18 months. There is an uncut 120 minute version out there but without sufficient subtitles and with an annoying icon in the corner of the screen. If anyone knows of a cleaner version available please post...

perfmode
09-06-2004, 07:52 PM
If memory serves me right, Jet Li is actually a practitioner of Wu Shu, which is more a dance-style martial art and demonstration sport. Bruce Lee started with the Wing Chun Gung Fu style and later developed Jeet Kune Do from careful observations and analyses of various martial arts around the world, including boxing, savate, capoeira, arnis, and various Japanese, Korean, and Okinawan styles.

Hero has been out for a couple of years in this part of the world (BTW, it's the costliest Chinese/Japanese production to date) with DVDs in various forms available for almost 18 months. There is an uncut 120 minute version out there but without sufficient subtitles and with an annoying icon in the corner of the screen. If anyone knows of a cleaner version available please post...
You mean a BitTorrent version?

Craig Sheppard
09-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Saw it last night in the theatre. Great, great movie. Thought the story was better than Crouching Tiger, more symbolism, and a more thoughtful movie all around. It is a very original production and worthy of awards. Both had excellent cinematography though--excellent sets and scenery and filmed beautifully.

Craig

mucat
09-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Actually, "Wu Shu" is not a dance style martial art. In chinese "Wu Shu" and "Kung Fu" mean the same thing, it means martial art.
bookem was right about Bruce Lee combine various fighting style and created his own fighting style, however, I remember Bruce Lee said his Jeet Kune Do is not about fighting style, it is about fighting philosophy, so, a person can employ any fighting technique with Jeet Kune Do fighting philosophy.
I agree with Jun. Bruce Lee has more practical (real fighting)experience while Jet Li has more formal training and knows many forms. It would be a good fight....I can only dream.
BTW, Jackie Chan is NOT a martial artist, he is more a chinese opera stuntman, so his movie is more a action movie than martial art movie.

jun
09-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Mucat

Isn't Wo Sho a form of martial arts? Whereas Kong Fu referres to Chinese martial arts (Tai Chi, Wo Shu etc..)

Just going off the track.
There are a lot of chinese martial arts novel, that are very addictive and interesting. I feel like chinese martial arts to western people have become more of an eye candy than anything (although I am not an westerner, I am guilty of being one of them).

There are many different forms of chinese martial arts and it's very interesting how the creaters of each form was inspired and their philosophy behind the martial arts.

Tai Chi, which has sort of become an exercise for elder people, was considered to be very revolutionery at the time of its creation. It emphasized being flowing,soft, endurance, inner strength (chi, or ki). Some martial arts form are more physical, and strong (meaning not soft), and didn't "flow" very well...Each has its own strength and weakness. of course there's more to it.....but i need to sleep....

mucat
09-07-2004, 01:09 AM
jun, "Wu Shu", 'Wu" means fighting, martial, "Shu" means art, technique.

This explain a little more
http://www.russbo.com/faq/7.htm
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-martial-arts

tennisnoob
09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, I dived into the history books i could get my hands on and read up about this first emperor of China, seems like he's a despot, very cruel and very ambitious indeed! Correct me if I'm wrong, some 50,000 to 100,000 men died from exhaustion just to build his freaking tomb! With some of them sacrificed or killed in order not to give away the location of his tomb! The Great wall was also built to fend off the babarian tribes which eventually killed about 15 - 20% of its own population at the time due to exhaustion as well! Scholars at the time were either ordered to silence, or killed or buried alive and many of their literature and works were burnt as the first emperor feared may cause uprising against his regime. Besides these atrocities, he did unify the country, language both spoken and written, introduced a unified currency and built roads into most parts of China.

mucat
09-11-2004, 01:44 AM
tennisnoob, yes, he was a wacky crazy guy or probably he is just wacky smart. His dynasty didn't last very long though, til his son or grandson, then people got angry and rebelled.

mistapooh
09-11-2004, 02:04 PM
huh? My Sifu told me that Kung Fu means great effort. And no, he's not from the Shaolin Temple.

Watched Hero like a year ago, didn't like it at all.

mucat
09-11-2004, 09:52 PM
huh? My Sifu told me that Kung Fu means great effort. And no, he's not from the Shaolin Temple.

Watched Hero like a year ago, didn't like it at all.

Kung Fu means work or effort. It could be great or not so great or even bad. We chinese use the word 'kung fu' from mopping the floor to cooking, it just means work. Oh, and BTW, I am not from shaolin temple :lol: But I would say your instructor/teacher (sifu)'s intrepretation is close enough.

strife726
09-14-2004, 12:08 AM
What about Jackie Chan vs Jet Li?

mucat
09-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Jackie Chan is just a stuntman knows a little bit about kung fu, Jet Li could probably beat him with one hand...

mucat
09-14-2004, 12:18 AM

Bruce Lee could knock you off your feet and wind you with a 1" punch.

Hey, I heard he can punch you so fast that you will not know how he punch you. And he can even tell you which fist (left or right) he is going to use to punch you and you will still not know how he punch you. I wonder how true is that.

VashTheStampede
09-17-2004, 06:59 PM
I watched Hero a few months ago in Chinese DVD. Probably not as much fighting in it as much as Fist of Legend, Drunken Master, Once Upon a Time Series, etc. etc. However, the story, scenery. It's kind of like a poem made into a movie. I enjoyed it.

Also, do any of you tennis players do any martial arts?