PDA

View Full Version : Put and End to Round-Robin

malakas
03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
After the disgrace in Buenos Aires,where a player was disqualified before even playin the second match,now follows the farcical shame in Las Vegas.
If you think that Round Robin is not good for the sport and ATP should get rid of it sign the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nomorerr/petition.html

It will be sent to the meeting of the players meeting right after Key Biscaine.

vive le beau jeu !
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
any TTW member at las vegas tournament at the moment ?...

if so... please go in the stadium with a banner like "stop the round robin joke" ! :D

PS: "fire Mr. Mafia-Mickey" would be welcome too... ;)

croatian sensation
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree. And I read the other thread, about what happened with Blake. Disgrace! That Disney idiot should step off, and if he has any sense of shame he should hide somewhere in the Pacific for a year.
This round robin crap is the worst thing in the ATP ever.

Voltron
03-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree, round robin matches should be stopped.

ATXtennisaddict
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
RR is boolshiet.

danb
03-02-2007, 10:56 AM

if so... please go in the stadium with a banner like "stop the round robin joke" ! :D

I agree.
RR = BULL SH^*( !!!
STOP this BAD JOKE called round robin!

wildbill88AA
03-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree. And I read the other thread, about what happened with Blake. Disgrace! That Disney idiot should step off, and if he has any sense of shame he should hide somewhere in the Pacific for a year.
This round robin crap is the worst thing in the ATP ever.

korolev beat blake anyway.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
The Blake thing is just one an example of how this Round Robin thing is just way too confusing. Does anyone actually ever know who is going to be in the quarters of a tourney anymore? How many points do people get?

This system sucks. It's ok in such a big competition like the Masters, infact it's essential there, but in a weak tourney like Buenos Aires? WHY

vascoboy
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
why don't you try to be a tournament director, and see how many fans you get at a final once Blake, Safin,...are out...i don't like RR format either but give tennis' lack of popularity, what choices does a tournament director have
to make ends meet...
SAP Open & TTC Open paid a lot of money in appereance fees to get the Roddicks, Safins,...so they are not going to let them go if they simply lose a game...and in Vegas, where there is lots of fun to be had, it can happen too easily...
To boycott, protest is short sighted...the alternative is to cancel the tournament, and how fun would that be? as it stands, many tourneys will not be around in a couple of years (unless some big american players emerge) so we should think about choosing our battles more carefully...

Nick Irons
03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
RR is like an 'eveyone wins, everyone gets to play, everyone gets a second chance' opportunity

It's bad for the game.

bluescreen
03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
its more like a "everyone plays, some get a second chance if u're not stiffed" opportunity.

but yes, definately bad for the game.

lorenza
03-02-2007, 02:13 PM
RR is crap. period. they should just get rid of it now before there are any more problems....

jmsx521
03-02-2007, 02:21 PM

PS: "fire Mr. Mafia-Mickey" would be welcome too... ;)That's a great idea for anyone going to any tournament. To see that on ESPN would be priceless! :)

127mph
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
roundrobin is stupid, how can you base advancement in a tournament based on how many sets you have won

vive le beau jeu !
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM

That's a great idea for anyone going to any tournament. To see that on ESPN would be priceless! :)

eheh... yeah i would love to see that on TV ! :)

kadwill
03-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I wasn't sure about hawk eye when it first came out although i think its a good innovation now.
But the round robin system really is pathetic; the name makes it sound like an under 10's badminton tournament

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
03-02-2007, 04:49 PM
round robin is boohlshieght

dubsplayer
03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
"why don't you try to be a tournament director, and see how many fans you get at a final once Blake, Safin,...are out...i don't like RR format either but give tennis' lack of popularity..."

First, Safin is still in. Second, there hasn't been anyone at this tourney since the beginning when all the players were still in. Stands have been empty all week. Yes, they should get rid of RR but they should also get rid of stupid tourneys like LV altogether. It was a circus last year without RR. If I never see that silly Mica girl again it will be too soon.

laurie
03-02-2007, 05:37 PM
"why don't you try to be a tournament director, and see how many fans you get at a final once Blake, Safin,...are out...i don't like RR format either but give tennis' lack of popularity..."

First, Safin is still in. Second, there hasn't been anyone at this tourney since the beginning when all the players were still in. Stands have been empty all week. Yes, they should get rid of RR but they should also get rid of stupid tourneys like LV altogether. It was a circus last year without RR. If I never see that silly Mica girl again it will be too soon.

When the final finished last year and Blake and Hewitt got their trophies, the owner of the tournament literally proceeded to act like a jerk for over 30 minutes congratulating himself for running the event. I saw it live on Eurosport and it was a joke. They always talk about a crowded calendar then add dumb events like this to the calendar. Well, someone's making money somewhere from this farce of a tournament.

I also agree they should get rid of round robin. The WTA is making ground on the ATP. The top of the WTA rankings is competitive while the ATP has names in the top 10 that the general public has never heard of.

Fee
03-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Good point Laurie. Steve Bellamy is not longer associated with this event since he left TTC last year. That means they had a new TD this year. I don't know if the current TD had any experience, but it seems to me this was handled very poorly from the beginning. It is the responsibility of the tournament referee to know the rulebook inside and out (which it appears he did). It was a sneaky move by whoever made the call to DeVilliers to try to get an overrule (and we may never know who that person was, but I bet many of us can make an educated guess...).

The tennis guy
03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
why don't you try to be a tournament director, and see how many fans you get at a final once Blake, Safin,...are out...i don't like RR format either but give tennis' lack of popularity, what choices does a tournament director have
to make ends meet...
SAP Open & TTC Open paid a lot of money in appereance fees to get the Roddicks, Safins,...so they are not going to let them go if they simply lose a game...and in Vegas, where there is lots of fun to be had, it can happen too easily...
To boycott, protest is short sighted...the alternative is to cancel the tournament, and how fun would that be? as it stands, many tourneys will not be around in a couple of years (unless some big american players emerge) so we should think about choosing our battles more carefully...

How about let ATP just bribe all other players, and just put Blake and Safin in the final? Yes, that would be very far sighted...

vascoboy
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
i don't like RR...i prefer the classic knock 'em out format...i am just sympathetic to the TDs, especially a tournament like Las Vegas...

Fedexeon
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
to make ends meet...

Agree. Some fans here just don't understand how difficult for ATP to promote tennis. They just know how to blame around. :D :D :D Let them be the CEO of ATP... Then they know how "easy" is to make tennis popular.
Yes, i agree that Round Robin is a failed experiment, now just get rid of it. Its no use blaming the CEO of ATP because he was just trying to make tennis more popular. If he had known this he wouldnt try this format.

Eviscerator
03-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Done!!!!!!

chair ump
03-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Round Robin is fun on an amateur level...ie: collegiate intra-mural sports/club level sports. BUT ABSOLUTELY NOT at the ATP level. Get rid of it.

ctbmar
03-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Agree. Some fans here just don't understand how difficult for ATP to promote tennis. They just know how to blame around. :D :D :D Let them be the CEO of ATP... Then they know how "easy" is to make tennis popular.
Yes, i agree that Round Robin is a failed experiment, now just get rid of it. Its no use blaming the CEO of ATP because he was just trying to make tennis more popular. If he had known this he wouldnt try this format.

Why do they need to promote tennis? There's already Federer, who definitely making Tennis an all-time high. Even other sports professionals come and watch tennis matches. As for Round Robin, I find it surprising that the runner-up in a group does not advance and play the winner of the next group. I find it ridiculous that only the winner of the group advances and the other 2 losers get eliminated. I thought round robin format is supposed to be more forgiving and gives you a 2nd chance to redeem yourself if you lost 1 match, but it seems to me that with the current criteria that only the winner advances, it does not give much redeeming chance to those who lost their 1st match.

malakas
03-08-2007, 03:34 AM
1000 signatures already and going!!:)

Fedexeon
03-08-2007, 03:49 AM
They should have made it 4 players per group. Then the 2 players come out from each group.
And of course they need to promote tennis, yea, tennis is quite popular but its popularity is not in the same league of golf. Tennis got the potential to attract even more fans.