PDA

View Full Version : Some players reactions about the RR format

supertennis
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
From tennis magazine:

Sébastien Grosjean admits he hasn't "weighted up the pros and the cons, yet" but his first reaction was "it seems to be a good idea for the tournaments' directors, the tv and the fans. Sébastien also thinks "it's a good thing for all the players because it gives them a second chance'.

Rafael Nadal is delighted by these changes: "We are sure to play 2 or 3 matches. It's good for the sponsors and tvs. When the best players loose in a first round, it's a very bad news for the tournament".

Fabrice Santoro denounces the fact that "only economic arguments are behind all this. Loosing a match and winning the tournament at the end, is something I have trouble to accept."

No hypocrisy from Marat Safin: "It's good for the top players. If a tournament director pay to get good players, he wants to keep them until the end".

Nothing surprising, then that lower players have different point of views. Nicolas Mahut is disillusioned: "We didn't have a say in all this. They only consulted the Nadals and Federers, who found it a good thing..."

Florent Serra confirms: "The best players will be protected. They will have the opportunity to remake themselves".

And Richard Gasquet, without really being against this change, regrets that " the defeat will be less penalized than today". He also adds "Federer can loose once but not twice".

Cautiously, the world number 1 Roger Federer says "It's an idea which makes sense. We have to try it to see..."

goforgold99
03-03-2007, 07:00 PM
From tennis magazine:
Cautiously, the world number 1 Roger Federer says "It's an idea which makes sense. We have to try it to see..."

That's what Fed says about it know:

“Everybody knows I was against it (the round robin system) in the first place. It’s actually very disappointing to see things like this had to happen first before you realise that the system is not going to work. … Nothing against Etienne de Villiers, he’s trying his best, but all I hope is he doesn’t change the integrity of the game… I’ve always said you have to keep tennis the way it is and not try to change and mix it up and try too many things at the same time. He’s burned his hands on that, that’s for sure, and I doubt it’s going to happen next year, the round robin system. … It’s going to be interesting to see their (the ATP’s) reaction now because they’re definitely under pressure. I think it’s a bad situation that happened.”

And just days before the Blake-Korolev incident took place, as if Fed saw this coming, here’s what he said during a Monday conference call when asked about the round-robin:

“Well, you know, I remember having a meeting exactly one year ago. We were asked what we thought about it. I thought it actually kind of makes sense, the tournament gets to see the stars twice and everything. I was kind of in favor a little bit of thinking, you know, trying it out really. Then the more I thought about it, the more I saw of it, I was actually not so for it because I’m the classical guy who always thinks the past was great, the knock-out system in tennis is fantastic, you have one bad day you’re out, you have no chance of coming back. We see it now sometimes, if a guy gets injured, he pulls out, he doesn’t allow the other guy to come through who actually would have a chance and stuff. To me it seems like it’s not the right approach for tennis and I hope it’s not going to happen next year.”

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2007-03-03/147.php

gephera
03-04-2007, 05:51 AM
everything federer says makes sense to me
so no RR!!

jmsx521
03-04-2007, 07:21 AM
... Fabrice Santoro denounces the fact that "only economic arguments are behind all this. Loosing a match and winning the tournament at the end, is something I have trouble to accept." ...I also have trouble accepting it.

bluescreen
03-04-2007, 07:58 AM
wow, rog must've been psychic.

malakas
03-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Ferrero:este sistema es una puta mierda!!!!!!

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/02...es/d-06201.htm

Very strong words coming from a usually very soft spoken former number one.
In that article he said he basically pleaded Lappenti not to withdraw and try to play in their match,or at least move his body in the court,but Lappenti didn't do him the favour because he thought he may pull a muscle.

vive le beau jeu !
03-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Eso sí, antes de irse del Buenos Aires, Clarín le consultó qué opinaba del sistema y el campeón de Roland Garros 2003 fue claro y contundente: "este sistema es una puta mierda".
claro y contundente, indeed !!! :D

oscar_2424
03-04-2007, 08:51 AM

In that article he said he basically pleaded Lappenti not to withdraw and try to play in their match,or at least move his body in the court,but Lappenti didn't do him the favour because he thought he may pull a muscle.

hahaha, i agree 100% with Ferrero.

malakas
03-04-2007, 08:58 AM
claro y contundente, indeed !!! :D

lol yeah very clear.

Hey Erwan I sent you an email from your TWusername.Did you get it?

vive le beau jeu !
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
lol yeah very clear.

Hey Erwan I sent you an email from your TWusername.Did you get it?
let me check that... ;)

lorenza
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM

haha, wow. can't believe he would say that, but he's totally right