PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in College

Ryan in Saratoga
03-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Do you know how good i would have to be to get a college scholarship? I am a solid 4.0 right now and i am a junior. If so how much does a tennis player normally recieve as far as a scholarship? Thanks

Voltron
03-04-2007, 11:16 AM
At 4.0, you won't get a good scholarship, you would need to be at least 5.5 to get anything good, 6.0+ for a full ride. That's what I've heard at least.

Pusher
03-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Do you know how good i would have to be to get a college scholarship? I am a solid 4.0 right now and i am a junior. If so how much does a tennis player normally recieve as far as a scholarship? Thanks

I would suggest that you don't really know if you're a 4.0 since juniors have rankings-not ratings. But a true 4.0 wouldn't take a game off a D-1 player.

My suggestion is to actually go see a college match-preferably at the D-1 level. What you will see are guys that are very consistent with their strokes but, above everything else, they move extremely well. I think you will notice that these D-1 guys are not necessarily great athletes but they have mastered the necessary skills to play at that level. And they are fit.

Most college coaches will tell you that if you really want to play in college you can. Honestly, you will probably have to "forsake all others", i.e., you must live and breathe tennis. It can be done but there are no shortcuts in tennis-you must master every stroke and you must have an outstanding serve and return game.

Good luck.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I would suggest that you don't really know if you're a 4.0 since juniors have rankings-not ratings. But a true 4.0 wouldn't take a game off a D-1 player.

My suggestion is to actually go see a college match-preferably at the D-1 level. What you will see are guys that are very consistent with their strokes but, above everything else, they move extremely well. I think you will notice that these D-1 guys are not necessarily great athletes but they have mastered the necessary skills to play at that level. And they are fit.

Most college coaches will tell you that if you really want to play in college you can. Honestly, you will probably have to "forsake all others", i.e., you must live and breathe tennis. It can be done but there are no shortcuts in tennis-you must master every stroke and you must have an outstanding serve and return game.

Good luck.

I dont know what "ranking" i am if that is how they do it... i really dont know what that is. If you mean ranking as far as placment on a team, i really would not use that as a judge on how good someone is as i could be #1 singles ans still not be good. All it takes is for your team to be no good and i could be ranked really high.

As for being a 4.0, thats what i am.. if you dont belive me o well. I have been taking semi-private lessons and that is what my instructor placed me at. Which means that what i am.

Anyway, i am a 4.0 right now. I went to the Ymca yesterday and they had colleges playing so i was able to watch. I would say in the summer when i am playing 1 time every day or more i can move like them, but i dont right noe because i only just started again after a break. My ground strokes i would say are more constistent but less powerful and they really have me on the serving.

If i could get to be a 5.0 do you think i would get any type of scholarship or do i really need to be like a 5.5 or 6.0?

Also, i noticed none of the college players really use any spin on there serve. It seems like they serve with their forehand grip. Is this a bad thing? I really cant do well at all with my semi-western grip but my eastern is way way better. is the western grip something i must learn or can i use the eastern? thanks

Pusher
03-04-2007, 04:00 PM
I dont know what "ranking" i am if that is how they do it... i really dont know what that is. If you mean ranking as far as placment on a team, i really would not use that as a judge on how good someone is as i could be #1 singles ans still not be good. All it takes is for your team to be no good and i could be ranked really high.

As for being a 4.0, thats what i am.. if you dont belive me o well. I have been taking semi-private lessons and that is what my instructor placed me at. Which means that what i am.

Anyway, i am a 4.0 right now. I went to the Ymca yesterday and they had colleges playing so i was able to watch. I would say in the summer when i am playing 1 time every day or more i can move like them, but i dont right noe because i only just started again after a break. My ground strokes i would say are more constistent but less powerful and they really have me on the serving.

If i could get to be a 5.0 do you think i would get any type of scholarship or do i really need to be like a 5.5 or 6.0?

Also, i noticed none of the college players really use any spin on there serve. It seems like they serve with their forehand grip. Is this a bad thing? I really cant do well at all with my semi-western grip but my eastern is way way better. is the western grip something i must learn or can i use the eastern? thanks

Ryan, this is pretty basic stuff.

Juniors get a ranking based on their tournament results. If you're not playing tournaments then no college will even look at you. It doesn't matter if someone says you are a 4.0, 5.0 or 6.0-you prove your ability in tournamnets. If you are serious about playing college tennis you should be playing a tournament almost every week. Taking semi-private lessons can't substitute for actual competetion.

My son (16) plays tournaments almost every week-end. That is where you see how your game compares with other serious players. Without that experience all the semi-private lessons in the world will get you nowhere.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-04-2007, 04:16 PM
i only brought them up so i could tell you where i got my 4.0 from. I am really trying to ask if, colleges look at Hs records or do i have to do tournaments outside of High School?

4brotherdrive
03-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Wel, get connections, my coach got two kids that are good but not amazingly good,full scholarship, and one of them isnt even going to play on a team.

tangies08
03-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Anyone can play college tennis. Small D3 schools and even some small D1 schools have pretty weak teams. If you are looking at a top or mid range D1 school you should be playing lots of tournaments, including some nats. Starting players for decent D1 schools all played a lot of juniors and had good national rankings. Coaches dont go purely by ranking but many use it as a starting point to recruit players. As far as getting a scholorship, it is really competetive. Because of Title 9 guys only have 4.5 scholarships available per team. Only about 15 guys accross the country have totally full rides, most people on scholorships have about 50-75%. Not to shoot you down or anything but if you dont have a national ranking, chances are you arent going to get a scholorship. However, if you play a lot and work hard you may want to email some smaller schools that offer athletic scholorships and send in a video of you playing. For me, I am ranked around 160 in the nation for 16's and I am not expecting to get much of a scholorship.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
not a problem i was just curious. I would definately like to play on a college team but i was not expecting to get a scholarship.

tangies08
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
And as far as 4.0 and NTRP business, dont worry about it. Just play and compete in tourneys.

tangies08
03-04-2007, 05:37 PM
not a problem i was just curious. I would definately like to play on a college team but i was not expecting to get a scholarship.

You can defenitely play some college tennis. Just make sure when looking for schools you choose a school you can play for. The last thing you want is to work hard at practice every day and never start a match

tennishead93
03-04-2007, 05:37 PM
my math teacher is a 5.0 but he never had a ranking and went to play for college.

Pusher
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM

I don't want to bust any bubbles but I see a hundred kids every week-end that want to play college tennis. These are serious players playing every tournament they can. Only a select few will get a scholarship and the rest will get on with their lives and play tennis for fun. Some will try to walk on at college and I have seen many that go that route. They will usually get worn down by the constant workouts while trying to maintain good grades.

Many or even most colleges recruit internationally which means they have 21 year old freshmen that have competed on the european pro circuit. Then there are the academy kids with their full time tennis training by some of the top coaches in the world. As Forrest Gump once said, "tennis is tough"-ok, he was talking about shrimping but you get the message.

Good luck.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
i know if i play like i have been and a little more i can make it. I takes lessons every single day of the week over the summer and that is when i am at my best. This next year i plan to play every day in the winter if i can. I saw a good college play another team yesterday and i know i can make it on a team, just i doubt a scholarship but that dont worry me. As far as getting worn, i never get tired.... ;)

Pusher
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
i know if i play like i have been and a little more i can make it. I takes lessons every single day of the week over the summer and that is when i am at my best. This next year i plan to play every day in the winter if i can. I saw a good college play another team yesterday and i know i can make it on a team, just i doubt a scholarship but that dont worry me. As far as getting worn, i never get tired.... ;)

The tournaments Ryan, don't forget the tournaments.

Good luck.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
ya, i think i may enter a few local ones this summer. The place where i take lessons holds local and higher ranked tournies, that maybe i could do this year.

LarougeNY
03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
don't forget, though, that intermurals often have good players too. Sometimes those varsity players that don't make D3 do intermurals, so thats an option too. Unless you're playing a high spot on your varsity team from freshman to senior year, you probably aren't getting a good scholarship if you get one at all.

AndrewD
03-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Really, none of the college players you saw used spin on their serves and they looked to be using a forehand grip on serve? I think you might want to check that again as only a rank beginner is going to do those two things.

Best thing you can do is talk to a few coaches and cast your eyes over the
TennisRecruiting.com site

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/

That has good info about the various colleges - Div I, II and III - general articles and can give you an idea of what standard is required to play at the collegiate level.

Puredrivetennis
03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
My advice to you is to keep playing more and more matches, anywhere you can. I am going to be playing d1 next year, and I wasnt even a considered prospect at the end of 05. Coaches look for results, not only in highschool, but 3rd party tournaments, be it State, nationals, local, etc. I will say that unless you are young, it does look bleak for a full scholarship; as coaches look around the world, basically, for their players, they tend to lean towards the blue chips (National competitors) from the US and Canada, and are very hesitant to dole out full 'ships.
Another thing for you to consider is playing at a juco. Take a look at some of them! Many people always look at the top level , while many programs at this stage have competitive players, as well as scholarship options available.