PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova= Immense Talent.....look at this clip

Andy Zarzuela
03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
For those of you that say Anna Kournikova wasn't a good tennis player, here's proof to why she was destined for greatness....Nick even says today that he hasn't seen a player with as much touch and lightness on her feet as Anna...to me the Anna Kournikova story is kind of sad. She was an awesome player in 1999....but media and injury got the best of her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vCMrUJB3E

ibemadskillzz
03-04-2007, 12:53 PM
she chokes too much

jelle v
03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
In my opinion Anna was one of the best volleyers on the women's tour. Plus she was possibly the quickest. I remember a rally of hers at Roland Garros, the balls she was reaching and getting back from far in the corners.. it was just incredible. I really loved her tennis. So sad she quit. Het downfall al began with that ankle-injury didn't it?

federerfanatic
03-04-2007, 01:59 PM
She didnt even win a small tournament in her career which is pretty pathetic for a player when spent time in the top 10. Her 97 Wimbledon semi so young was shown to be a fluke since she never made it back that far again. She only beat Hingis once in I forget how many matches, never a Williams, Henin and Clijsters started beating him all the time once they became even noticeable as up and comers. The only top player she did any damage against was Davenport.

LarougeNY
03-04-2007, 02:03 PM
she was great at times, and terrible at others. I was a fan. What racket did she use?

J-man
03-04-2007, 02:13 PM
She had great talent for sure. Just other things took advantage

Chadwixx
03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
At one point she was using a yonex rd pro 70 long, not sure if that is the racket in the clip due to the quality.

Its a shame about her back, people often complained about how lousey her serve is and they didnt realize why.

bluetrain4
03-04-2007, 02:19 PM
There's no doubt Anna K was talented. But, she had definite weaknesses. I think if she would have stayed on tour she would have been a player who went between 8 and 20 in the rankings, could upset the top players, and would make runs to the QFs in slams, occasionally the SFs, but could also lose earlier.

As far as her never winning a tournament, it is a bit odd, but i read once that Anna K didn't play the lower-tiered tourneys that much. Granted, she did a few times and missed out on her opportunity to win a tourney, but for the most part she played the bigger tourneys where the better players were.

Chadwixx
03-04-2007, 02:20 PM
She didnt even win a small tournament in her career which is pretty pathetic for a player when spent time in the top 10.

You may wanna say singles tournament. She did win a few gs's in doubles.

psp2
03-04-2007, 02:20 PM
In my opinion Anna was one of the best volleyers on the women's tour. Plus she was possibly the quickest. I remember a rally of hers at Roland Garros, the balls she was reaching and getting back from far in the corners.. it was just incredible. I really loved her tennis. So sad she quit. Het downfall al began with that ankle-injury didn't it?

Sorry, but Hingis had better hands at the net than AK.

jelle v
03-04-2007, 02:31 PM

I said "one of" the best :)

But they teamed up a few times to play doubles didn't they? Weren't they quite succesfull at that, didn't they win a few majors or so?

nhstennis
03-04-2007, 03:40 PM
not to mention she is incredibly HOT

ne1410is
03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
she also made the finals of the lipton, was up a set and something against venus williams. the lipton is a pretty big tournament too. she's been close, but she did always play at tournaments that were chocked full of big name players (probably because they had the money to pay her enormous appearance fees) so that meant she was always going against the best.

Andy Zarzuela
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM
She didnt even win a small tournament in her career which is pretty pathetic for a player when spent time in the top 10. Her 97 Wimbledon semi so young was shown to be a fluke since she never made it back that far again. She only beat Hingis once in I forget how many matches, never a Williams, Henin and Clijsters started beating him all the time once they became even noticeable as up and comers. The only top player she did any damage against was Davenport.

And don't forget that AnnaK OWNED Capriati head-to-head....and a win over Graf too...

Andy Zarzuela
03-04-2007, 09:11 PM

I disagree. I say equal....maybe giving Anna a slight edge because she's able to get into net quicker.....

ericsson
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
in my eyes she didnt had the feel (hands) of hingis but man what a babe, and her outfits... by far the best looking girl.

federerfanatic
03-06-2007, 04:42 AM
And don't forget that AnnaK OWNED Capriati head-to-head....and a win over Graf too...

Yeah but did she even play Capriati in 2001-2004 when Capriati was a top player again? I dont regard matchups with Capriati from 1996-2000 as being vs a top player, since Jen was not a top player during that period, she wasnt even in the top 10 in fact.

Kournikova's win over Graf was in 1998 I believe, a diminished Graf, but still a great win. However in 1997-1998 was when Kournikova showed her most promise. Then she got injured before Wimbledon of 1998 and never showed as much promise again.

MHobbit
03-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I always wondered how good she was (I never got the chance to watch her actually play), but she does seem good and must've had a lot of talent.

Ronaldo
03-06-2007, 04:52 PM
she was great at times, and terrible at others. I was a fan. What racket did she use?

She used the Yonex SRQ-500, she was great and terrible, usually during the same point.

Nick Irons
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Of course she had talent; who doesn't at the pro level ?

But she also was hot. And that is why she was a big deal.

ne1410is
03-07-2007, 11:08 PM
she also used the yonex pro rd 70 long, and the ultimum 1700 i think. i saw her practicing in manhattan beach and she was goofing around, imitating monica seles, and trying out different rackets. she definitely tried the super rd tour but didnt seem to like it. her mom would hit her balls in high heels and just stand there holding the racket and anna would hit the ball directly onto her mom's racket. meanwhile lots of russian arguing.

lethalfang
03-08-2007, 01:27 AM
I also think Anna Kournikova had stamina problems. She seemed to wear down physically as the match goes to the distance.

35ft6
03-10-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm not convinced. I'm going to need some nude pics to settle this. Chop chop.

jaykay
03-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm not convinced. I'm going to need some nude pics to settle this. Chop chop.

:D ---chortle---, my thoughts exactly...!

alwaysatnet
03-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Her immense talents were offset by her immense mental and emotional shortcomings which manifested themselves in one of the worst serves ever seen by a pro player. Double faults came by the truck load when watching Anna struggle to hold serve. Her mother treated her like a beauty pageant contestant and lived vicariously through her and she was never encouraged to become a better tennis player. Only a bigger celebrity. The kind of "celebrity" we are plagued with now days: someone who is famous for being famous. In the end it's a sad waste of talent. She is living life now as a C list celebrity and mastabutory object of desire for an increasingly smaller pool of drooling immature males.

Ripper
03-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Her immense talents were offset by her immense mental and emotional shortcomings which manifested themselves in one of the worst serves ever seen by a pro player. Double faults came by the truck load when watching Anna struggle to hold serve. Her mother treated her like a beauty pageant contestant and lived vicariously through her and she was never encouraged to become a better tennis player. Only a bigger celebrity. The kind of "celebrity" we are plagued with now days: someone who is famous for being famous. In the end it's a sad waste of talent. She is living life now as a C list celebrity and mastabutory object of desire for an increasingly smaller pool of drooling immature males.

Imo, had she been ugly, with the same talent, she would have been MUCH more succesful.

alwaysatnet
03-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes, absolutely. When the going got tough she became a professional "presenter"(her words,not mine). Had she looked more like a Justine Henin,for instance,and less like herself,she would have had no escape hatch from her unsuccessful pro career and would have had to work on her dysfunctional serve.

Alexandros
03-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Man I forgot how quick Kournikova was around the court! And I like how she was always willing to come in - looked for opportunities to do so. Also props to anyone who can match Venus Williams' power and movement from the baseline.

4brotherdrive
03-10-2007, 11:18 AM
She had more opportunities to come to the net, therefore that makes her a better net-player if you ask me. All those who talk bad about her are just mad cause she's prettier then them!

K. Wilson Moose
03-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Anna actually had a little meat on her bones then, much better than the waif look. Also, wasn't that the Fiery One, Fred Stolle, doing the color? He may have been fiery as a player, but not so as a commentator. Still, I liked him, but I digress. Anna was a hottie and fun to watch http://www.gojackets.com/new/emoticons/crazy.gif. Sorry, I just had a drooling immature male masturbatory moment.

Safina
03-10-2007, 04:00 PM
yonex pro rd 70 long 28" long 105" headsize in that 99 Wimbledon

mentalcase
03-14-2007, 09:34 AM
It's wierd that Anna never won a tournament. I don't understand why her agent, coaches, or endorsers would advise her to play smaller tournments. Her career is the blueprint for players like Sharapova, Vaidiasova... Their agents know what not to do when you have an athlete that is goodlooking with game.

She was really quick and athletic on court, had great hands and attacked the net at every oppurtunity. Her forehand was good and her backhand was solid. She could lob, volley, had nice touch. Her serve in the beginning was decent, but then...

She was huge though, in terms of popularity. Her practices were always filled with spectators. ESPN has a page dedicated to her on their site. Everyone knew who Anna was. I don't believe their has or will be a player that can rival her popularity. She was the female version of David Beckham.

She could comeback and get the monkey off her back by winning at tier 3 or 4, but she will never be able to challenge for top tournies or slams. Never.

CyBorg
03-20-2007, 11:21 PM

Oh, please. The semi wasn't a fluke. She was a natural talent who wasted her potential.

Everyone gushed about her looks and she fell into the trap. It was the easy way to fame.

kiki
03-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Hingis and Kournikova THE MOST CHARMING AND HOTTEST DOUBLES TEAM EVER. (Since Marylin Monroe and Jane Russell in " Some like it hot" )

TMF
03-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Hingis and Kournikova THE MOST CHARMING AND HOTTEST DOUBLES TEAM EVER. (Since Marylin Monroe and Jane Russell in " Some like it hot" )

Julia Robert or Helen Hunt are better actress than Marylin/Russell. Beauty doesn't always equate to talent, just like Kournikova/Hingis, who are not among the greatest.

hoodjem
03-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Better at doubles than singles.

kiki
03-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Julia Robert or Helen Hunt are better actress than Marylin/Russell. Beauty doesn't always equate to talent, just like Kournikova/Hingis, who are not among the greatest.

I was thinking about pure, crazy sex double session, not beauty.:)