PDA

View Full Version : Playing Friends in a Tournament

tennismike33
03-05-2007, 11:10 AM
This weekend I met a person in the finals who I hit with at leat 1-3 times per week. We know each others games pretty well, how do you play in this situation?

I lost 6-3/6-2.

LoveThisGame
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Quick, off the top of the head:

Be civil, avoid conversation during the match (you want to keep concentration), compete.

Try to do somethings a bit differently. Change percentages of targeting over what you usually use. Ditto for changes of pace.

Notice what he may be doing differently and see if you have a good counter.

Those are small adaptations. Otherwise, watch the ball well and treat it as if you were playing a "stranger".

tennismike33
03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I almost started laughing when he tried junk balling me. The person he played before I gave him a good scouting report. High ball to the forehand side was a weakness, so he tried to hit HIGH loopers to me.

10sfreak
03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Do you usually lose to this guy? Or did the tournament setting kind of mess with your head?

goober
03-05-2007, 07:08 PM
I have played my regular hitting partner twice in tourneys. We have played at least 100+ practice matches over the last 2.5 years going to back when we were just starting out playing tennis. I am actually surprised that we haven't played each other more before since we enter a lot of the same tourneys.

The problem we both know each others games so well that our tourney matches have been very close and we have split. We can't surprise each other, because we both know exactly what shots each of us is capable of. The only thing I try to do is mix up my game alot. Some serve and volley, some junkball just to keep him somewhat on his toes.

tennismike33
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Do you usually lose to this guy? Or did the tournament setting kind of mess with your head?

I have never taken a set off of him, he is a VERY solid player.

beernutz
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM

You play someone 1-3 times a week who you've never taken a set from?

I wish I could find a playing partner like that.

goober
03-05-2007, 08:33 PM

Well if that is the case, if you can't beat him in practice when he is more likely to try different things, relax, ect. why do you think you can beat him in a tournament? There is probably not much you can do if he is a higher level than you.

tennismike33
03-06-2007, 04:53 PM
The best part of the match was when I called a ball out that was clearly in, his reaction was, "Are you serious?" made me laugh!!!!!

His big pet peeve is people who see the lines as out.

Jracer77
03-06-2007, 06:37 PM
His big pet peeve is people who see the lines as out.

Yep....i think you would find that most people would be peeved by that.

@ce
03-06-2007, 10:03 PM

And after losing 3 and 2. Not much you can do but tip your hat and tell him he is too good.

Sakkijarvi
03-07-2007, 08:29 AM
I play with friends and there is nothing friendly about the GAME, we go all out BECAUSE we're friends. That's how we play and WHY we do sports together I suspect. Afterward it's all cool, just not during.

Sakki