PDA

View Full Version : How to impress the coaches?

Ryan in Saratoga
03-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Well on friday our school had a snow day and the tennis meeting was cancelled. Since i did not have my forms handed in untill monday the coach was unable to call me. He called up many other people on the team (everyone except for three people including me who got the forms in on the last day) and they had practice at the Ymca. As i watched the team play it looks to me i can keep up with almost all of them in every area except the serve. Friday was suppose to be an informational meeting but instead it is now this friday and almost the whole team is going to have a week of practice down so i am at a serious disadvantage. What can i do to impress the coaches? I really need to do something because to me it looks like 5 of the 6 singles spots are pretty much set, unless somehow my serve gets better overnight and i really want that sixth spot on singles as i hate doubles. Any ideas? thanks

Hughy86
03-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Why is it you cant also get in a week of practice?

Ryan in Saratoga
03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
i was not invited, i dont want to raise any bad ideas with my coach and they only have limited courts at the Ymca, they only have 2 for like 12 people so i guess it is full for now. The meeting was rescheduled to friday which is when we learn about when our matches and practices are but those 12 people are already going to have a jump on me and i need to make sure i can get into at least the 6th spot. Just wondering if you have any pointers.

tennis-skater
03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
when you do try out have a good atitude and try and be as helpful as possible. if you want it bad enough kiss *****. but dont be annoying about it. Heres a few tips that **** me off when lower level kids are at practice:

1. Please try and keep the balls on your court especially if I'm playing a match wait to go get it until the point is over. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IN BTWN FIRST AND SECOND SERVE.

2. At practice its ok to ask to hit with better kids, if you can keep up with them if you can't and your there and they're good enough they'll just play keep away. But on match days when they're warming up for their match just hit with another alternate unless they ask you if you want to hit because I always hate it when I have to hit with moonballers right before my match (not calling you a moonballer just trying to make a point)

3. Please learn tennis editique when your playing with your team mates, such as, waiting till the points over to cross the court. Waiting till the person is done with the point to ask for a ball. Do not yell across 6 courts trying to get your friends attention because first of all they probably won't here you and other players are now talking about how they don't like you because you don't know how to be civilized.

thats pretty much it. Sorry if I sound mean but I'm sick and in a ranting type mood

Ryan in Saratoga
03-06-2007, 12:20 PM
i completly understand the part about moonballing, i hate that too, thanks for the tips.

tennis-skater
03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
No problem. Whats level are you ntrp?

Ryan in Saratoga
03-06-2007, 12:31 PM
My instructor told me i am a 4.5 in every category except my serve which he said is like a 4.0. My serve needs a serious going over.

tennis-skater
03-06-2007, 12:34 PM
What level are the guys on your team? Is tennis really big where you are? Where is saratoga

Ryan in Saratoga
03-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Saratoga is Above albany in Ny by about 30 minutes. I would say the guys on my team arverage a 4.5 in ever area. The top three or four spots on are team are held by three 5.0's and the top spot is held by a 5.5. tennis is pretty big but Not to big. Our team is not huge but last year we won our council championship so hopefully we can repeat it again this year.

tennis-skater
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
You guys didn't win states? Sounds about like my team but in florida its pretty competitive so we didnt even win districts but for sure we will this year.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
ya, i am kinda glad, because if we won states that would probably mean i would not get a spot on the team..

Whats your ranking? And what spot are you on your team?

p0w3r
03-06-2007, 01:15 PM
wow you guys got 5.0 plus players on your high school team? thats insane:-o

tennis-skater
03-06-2007, 01:21 PM
ya, i am kinda glad, because if we won states that would probably mean i would not get a spot on the team..

Whats your ranking? And what spot are you on your team?

I'd say I'm about a 4.0-4.5 depending on the day. But I vary from 5-7 because we are all equally as good and out of 3 of us one person is destine to have an off day and the other an on day

KBalla08
03-06-2007, 01:52 PM

hehe our #1 last year who graduated and went to Duke, hes playing #5 there i think, and he's prob. a 6.0 :)

Ryan in Saratoga
03-06-2007, 02:34 PM
our number one player is suppose to be insanely good. he is only a sophmore and is going to be #1 singles on varsity. I have never seen him play a match but i have been told he is a 5.5. Although i will most certainly let you know if this is true because it does seem kind high. He is probably a 5.0 but the way the rest of the team talks about him i would not doubt he is a 5.5

Solat
03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
work hard on court, be the first there and the last to leave, hit against a wall before and after if you have to, show the coach you are willing to work hard.

Explain your case, tell him how badly you want the spot, tell him who your coach is and how you are working on your game and why you deserve that place.

you have nothing to lose only to gain, you need the coach to know your name and your goals

Pusher
03-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Quite insane.

Almost unbelievable.;)