PDA

View Full Version : Doubles vs. Singles

kerplunker
03-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Well, everyone has their own preferences. Which do you like better and why?

I like doubles better. As long as my partner is my friend and good then I think good teamwork is rewarded with winning. I like the techniques and I just like the overall play of rushing the net and such.

p0w3r
03-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I like singles more. Its mostly down to my strengths or weaknesses. I have strong groundstrokes, but really weak volleys and in fast paced doubles games...i always mess up as the balls come flying towards me at net one after another. In a sense, i have poor recovery time after a volley. In singles, this weakness isint as bad since when i do come to net, its only 2 shots at most before the point is over.

PrinceDiablo525
03-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I prefer doubles, because I like the fast paced play and I like all the communication and strategy that comes with it. Plus my volleys and serve a really strong.

A.Davidson
03-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Depends on the day - all-in-all, I would say that because of the limitless possibilities, doubles would have to edge singles...by a narrow margin.

jamumafa
03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Singles - if I lose, *I* lost. Not 'cos of my partner, just me. No one else to blame.

ibringtheHEAT
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Singles - if I lose, *I* lost. Not 'cos of my partner, just me. No one else to blame.

and if you win, *you* win....exactly why I like singles. You make your own story.

N4n45h1
03-21-2007, 04:04 PM
i like singles too, i feel that its easier since i dont have to communicate with anyone other than myself to make the plays...but even then...i dont even listen to myself sometimes xD

Hewitt Aussie
03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I like singles, it is just better. I don't play as good in doubles, plus i like to be in control of myself winning and losing.

tenniskid3119
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
I use to suck at singles so I would only tournament for doubles but still play singles cause my parents made me. Me and my partner use to be a real force whereever we entered and would always win. but since school started our coach wont let us play doubles together. and since spring as just started we are just getting back in the habbit of playing together again. So as of right now, I love singles a whole, whole lot more. But once summer starts I'll like both the same.

Kabob190
03-21-2007, 07:05 PM
i like singles a lot better, i play so much better without the pressure of not letting my partner down. i also hate makeshift doubles partners. singles is also better cuz i get to hit twice as many balls, probably more because for me singles rallies are longer than doubles rallies usually. either way if i get to play one or the other i am happy, especially if i know and like my doubles partner.

thejackal
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
i also hate makeshift doubles partners.

LOL

i know what u mean

I like singles better. tennis is about hitting the ball, not watching someone else on your side doing it for you.

TheAeropro
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM

WEll. it's easier to lose in doubles, as in not as bad. And if it's not your day, your partner can help. I like both pretty much equally but doubles is like playing tennis with your buddy, jus' chillin', not hangin' with yourself.

pNoyr3D
03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
I like singles but on some days doubles is good to play. The thing I like doubles is the teamwork and if it's my friend than it's even better. I usually like playing with someone I played with before.

Singles is fun though, I find it better to play singles than doubles, doubles takes too much thinking! Also no blaming anyone.

ibringtheHEAT
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
tenniskid. where in texas do u live? u me n hewitt could go hit sometime if you live near us....

Kabob190
03-24-2007, 03:18 PM
LOL

i know what u mean

I like singles better. tennis is about hitting the ball, not watching someone else on your side doing it for you.

meaning a coach puts you with a partner you hardly know 10 minutes before a match. makeshift, i think im using the word right.

thejackal
03-24-2007, 04:13 PM
i was referring to that time with neil and abhi.

Fossika
03-24-2007, 04:16 PM
I enjoy Singles for having more control over how the match goes, and the personal challenge. But I also like doubles for the fun of teamwork and the great feeling when you pull off a good point or win. So, I guess I enjoy playing both :P

Kabob190
03-24-2007, 06:31 PM
i was referring to that time with neil and abhi.

ya, for some reason i seam to whiff the ball less and have hit land on my shoe when im playing singles. it could all be in my head though.

ibringtheHEAT
03-24-2007, 07:50 PM
or the planets jsut might not be aligned...........you never know

xtremerunnerars
03-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I love doubles if my partner doesn't blow at tennis. I HATE doubles w/ the ppl i always get stuck with...the one girl's serve is so weak. I am practically helpless...waiting for a 40mph serve to land in and then have backhands cracked at me. I get most of them back and my team usually wins because I can manipulate the one other kid, but it's still frustrating.

If the doubles ppl were more at my level, i would say doubles. Singles is good though, and I usually play that.

kaygar09
03-31-2007, 09:55 PM
i like singles better because if you're playing good and you're ahead/you win, then the victory is all yours. whether you win or lose, its all you. you also don't have to worry about being hit from behind (bad experiences in mixed doubles when my partner has pretty much nailed me on the back of my thigh during his first serves)

if ur playing badly, then you can only blame yourself and depend on only yourself to make a comeback.

of course, i'd rather play doubles (with a compatible and respectable partner) rather than not play at all.

Firestarter
04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
doubles over single any day

I love the fast pace of it
and there's so much more space of my killer angle shots

hahah

Noveson
04-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Singles by far. It suits my game a lot more(I'm not the greatest volleyer). Plus I absolutely hate when I mess up things for my partner, or he messes up them for me. I feel like singles is more of a mental battle, and gives me time to get my strokes into a groove.

shojun25
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Doubles if its for fun. Singles if its for competitive stuff.

BreakPoint
04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Doubles if its for fun. Singles if its for competitive stuff.
Huh? You obviously have never played any competitive doubles then. Doubles can be even more competitive than singles as now you have four guys yelling and screaming and pumping their fists on the court instead of only two, and that's not even to mention the chest bumps. ;)

Let's face it, there are a lot more exciting points in doubles than there are in singles.

dave333
04-03-2007, 04:17 PM
doubles. I think of awesome plans, tactics, and me and my partner incorporate them wonderfully. Great way to put our intellect and perceptiveness into tennis.

In singles, I usually end up making the other guy run a lot, hit an approach shot for a winner or a weak return, and pop it away. Doubles I usually have to serve and volley or chip and charge and I have a lot of adreneline pumping volley battles until I get an overhead or something and put it away or hit it at the other guy.

swuster
04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Doubles. Although you get to wind up for those huge shots and long rallies in singles, doubles is a lot more fast-paced and unpredictable. Plus, who doesn't love all that net time? Doubles = exciting points.

andymac1
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Singles, I feel I have more control, but I do like double, so long as my teammate is someone who I've had experience playing with. Me and my partner are no 1. doubles on our high school team right now :).