PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Tacchini and Sampras

jamumafa
03-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Hey, Ithought you guys might know something about ST shoes. Erm, was it Sampras who used to wear ST but then changed because the shoes messed up his feet? Or they couldn't make a shoe he liked?

Also, wasn't there a woman player who had the same problem?

Any feedback would be great, thanks :D

BreakPoint
03-07-2007, 03:09 AM
It was Martina Hingis that sued Sergio Tacchini claiming that their shoes caused severe injury to her feet that shortened her career.

classic tennis
03-07-2007, 03:33 AM
I think it was only Hingis as Sampras , Goran, Bruguera & Cash had model shop custom shoes.

jamumafa
03-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks guys :D

So I guess Sampras left ST to join Nike for big moolah?

classic tennis
03-07-2007, 04:21 AM
That would be it, the shoes were great I used to wear the Cash autographs & never had a drama.

Colpo
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Sampras wore wide-last, meshy shoes (not like today's 'speed shoes') during his early career and into his prime, pre-Oscillate. For quite a while early on, he wore the mesh/leather Wilson Pro Staffs, tricked out with Tacchini branding. In the early to mid 90s, with Nike, he wore a custom, thicker-soled version of an excellent, low-tech mesh/leather Nike shoe (navy swoosh and gray sole) that retailed for around 50-60 bucks. Don't ask me to name that shoe off the rack, but it had the sickest, stock, clay-court herringbone sole I've ever seen on a stock shoe - I mean, there was NOTHING on that sole other than herringbone tread north/south/east/west. Amazing clay court shoe, though Sampras's was tricked with a thicker sole for hard court play.

pj80
03-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Sampras wore wide-last, meshy shoes (not like today's 'speed shoes') during his early career and into his prime, pre-Oscillate. For quite a while early on, he wore the mesh/leather Wilson Pro Staffs, tricked out with Tacchini branding. In the early to mid 90s, with Nike, he wore a custom, thicker-soled version of an excellent, low-tech mesh/leather Nike shoe (navy swoosh and gray sole) that retailed for around 50-60 bucks. Don't ask me to name that shoe off the rack, but it had the sickest, stock, clay-court herringbone sole I've ever seen on a stock shoe - I mean, there was NOTHING on that sole other than herringbone tread north/south/east/west. Amazing clay court shoe, though Sampras's was tricked with a thicker sole for hard court play.

what were the black shoes that he wore during the us open 1997 and troughout the indoor season that same year?

Colpo
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
what were the black shoes that he wore during the us open 1997 and troughout the indoor season that same year?

The only black shoes I recall Pete ever wearing were those limited Oscillates. The Oscillate was a 1998 model year shoe; I remember buying my first pair spring of '98. The black Oscillate US Open would've been '98 at the earliest.

pj80
03-11-2007, 03:44 PM
The only black shoes I recall Pete ever wearing were those limited Oscillates. The Oscillate was a 1998 model year shoe; I remember buying my first pair spring of '98. The black Oscillate US Open would've been '98 at the earliest.

look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijW1YxpS-ys

or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sAz1CLBcm8&mode=related&search=

Colpo
03-16-2007, 03:05 PM
look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijW1YxpS-ys

or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sAz1CLBcm8&mode=related&search=

You're good - way to make your case. That's the Oscillate, which I now know/am reminded that Nike/Pete was previewing to the general public before its 1998 release. Good find.

Gundam
03-16-2007, 04:31 PM
You're good - way to make your case. That's the Oscillate, which I now know/am reminded that Nike/Pete was previewing to the general public before its 1998 release. Good find.

What's wrong with Sampras? Was he injured? Or sick?

PBODY99
03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Pete was a big Bulls fan so Nike made him a Black /red trim pair. They also made a silver model. I have a pair of the ST Sampras shoes, which I never really wore very often.

larlarbd
03-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Ok , To be very clear - SAMPRAS NEVER wore Tachhini shoes. He liked low to the ground meshy shoes ( as described by my previous poster ) - he wore a Wilson early in his career & covered it with 1st ST & even during his 1st Nike year . Then Nike made him an identical pair but Sampras wore it for only like 4months caz he didn't like the styling . ( I personally think - YES it had the best thread EVER - awesome grip for a shoe of that era - as described by my previous poster ) .

After 3 model changes He finally got what he wanted - Oscillates . It was designed after Sampras's Fav Player ( Michael Jordan's most iconic shoe - hence the Black/Red & then the more senseable Black/White - designed after Air Jordan 1 .

The low to the ground but glove like fit & synthetic leather for the OScillates IDEA also came from - yes , You guessed it : Air Jordan 3 ( notice the similarities in design of OSCILLATES & AJ3 ).

The Silver Oscillates were UGLY & Sampras obviously didn't wear them .
I just c'd find 2-pairs of the Black/White Oscillates ( I PERSONALLY THINK THOSE WERE THE BEST SHOES NIKE EVER MADE ) - it went great with white clothes too , a rarity among Black shoes . I Always Loved the White/Navy Oscillates - Classy shoes , just as Sampras .