PDA

View Full Version : Having Problems with Undies

datsveryinterestin
03-07-2007, 08:36 AM
ok, this is not "cool" to talk about, but I am having serious problems
with underwear when I play tennis.

I have been wearing some "calvin klein" sports boxers that are made out of a poly material. They are usually ok, but if it is really humid and I sweat a lot, I end up with serious chaffing on my legs where the seam on the underwear must rub.
It hurts pretty bad and I have to walk funny just to keep from irritating it more. If I get home and put a bunch of baby powder on it.. it is usually better by morning.

So, I bought some NIKE PRO undies that have a lot of spandex and are extremely tight fitting. Feels good except when I get an hour into a match the legs start riding up and I have to adjust them every point. This is more annoying than the chaffing bumps while I am playing. (but chaffing is obviously worse after...)

So, I bought some Nike "running shorts" that have an internal "gusset", and have been just using those in lieu of undies.
Guess what, no problems in the heat. I saw a few Nike tennis shorts have a "gusset", but they are usually really short. (7" length)

Anyway, I thought I would share my very personal experience with underwear and hope it either helps somebody, or that some other players in humid weather can provide me with some tips for playing 3+ hours without discomfort in the nether region!
:oops:

Tennis_Beast101
03-07-2007, 08:47 AM
ok, this is not "cool" to talk about, but I am having serious problems
with underwear when I play tennis.

I have been wearing some "calvin klein" sports boxers that are made out of a poly material. They are usually ok, but if it is really humid and I sweat a lot, I end up with serious chaffing on my legs where the seam on the underwear must rub.
It hurts pretty bad and I have to walk funny just to keep from irritating it more. If I get home and put a bunch of baby powder on it.. it is usually better by morning.

So, I bought some NIKE PRO undies that have a lot of spandex and are extremely tight fitting. Feels good except when I get an hour into a match the legs start riding up and I have to adjust them every point. This is more annoying than the chaffing bumps while I am playing. (but chaffing is obviously worse after...)

So, I bought some Nike "running shorts" that have an internal "gusset", and have been just using those in lieu of undies.
Guess what, no problems in the heat. I saw a few Nike tennis shorts have a "gusset", but they are usually really short. (7" length)

Anyway, I thought I would share my very personal experience with underwear and hope it either helps somebody, or that some other players in humid weather can provide me with some tips for playing 3+ hours without discomfort in the nether region!
:oops:

I am 13 years old. I live in Florida. I play designateds, Sectionals, States, Zonals, Nationals, and even ITF (GUESS WHAT I WEAR)??? The regular boxers. I wear normal straight up boxers from Old Navy or Abercrombie. I play almost 5 hours everday. No problems at ALL. They are nice and loose

PEACE Dawg

datsveryinterestin
03-07-2007, 08:56 AM
beast,

yeah I have tried plain boxers before.... my "junk" needs a little more support than that though. i'm not 13 anymore....

raiden031
03-07-2007, 09:17 AM
beast,

yeah I have tried plain boxers before.... my "junk" needs a little more support than that though. i'm not 13 anymore....

Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for nut-hugging briefs

datsveryinterestin
03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
i've tried those too... a bit constricting... although i might have been okay with a bigger size of briefs.
the "gusset" seems to work better for me.

Get your GUSSET on!!!!

gusset gusset gusset gusset gusset

geez, that is a strange word.

Puredrivetennis
03-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Hahaha, that's sweet. I never thought of subbing spandex for gusset shorts.. Wouldn't you get mad sweaty, though?
YOU play itf? What's your ipin?

vamosrafa15
03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I am 13 years old. I live in Florida. I play designateds, Sectionals, States, Zonals, Nationals, and even ITF (GUESS WHAT I WEAR)??? The regular boxers. I wear normal straight up boxers from Old Navy or Abercrombie. I play almost 5 hours everday. No problems at ALL. They are nice and loose

PEACE Dawg

key words, YOUR 13, thats why you wear boxers, ur junk doesn't need support.

Puredrivetennis
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
ahahaha, give it three or four years.

BreakPoint
03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I would suggest regular briefs for underwear. No chafing on the legs because they don't cover the legs. Much more freedom of movement for sports and they hold your "package" better, too. :D

raiden031
03-07-2007, 12:20 PM

I'm 26 and haven't had any problems playing in boxers.

Now jumping jacks are a little uncomfortable though.

BreakPoint
03-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm 26 and haven't had any problems playing in boxers.

Well, perhaps some of us are just more "manly" than others. ;) LOL

Zets147
03-07-2007, 12:28 PM
ROFL!!!

Get some briefs!

Tchocky
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Have you tried boxer briefs? I wouldn't wear anything else.

richw56
03-07-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm with the original poster all the way on this one.
I've played a lot of very long matches in very hot weather.
For many years now, I've used shorts that have a built-in brief to them.
They're usually billed as running shorts (though you have to look to find ones that are long enough -- I like shorts that have about a 9" inseam), generic sports shorts, or sometimes swim trunks (if you can find ones that look more like tennis shorts than swim trunks). You rarely see them sold as tennis shorts. But I'm totally sold on them.
This kind of short is typically light weight, doesn't chafe at all, and the liner brief (or gusset, as the op calls it) provides support while letting your junk breathe. I like it a lot better than wearing any kind of regular underwear, which just soaks up a lot of sweat and gets heavy and irritating.

raiden031
03-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Swimming trunks are awesome for tennis. I wear them and hope that other people don't realize I am wearing swim trunks. I could always say I'm heading to the pool afterwards. But they dry out quickly unlike shorts and underwear.

ne1410is
03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
lol this thread is hilarious. only the balls should bounce. lol

XFactorer
03-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I have no probs with the Nike Pro compression shorts. I wear those. I found that the Under Armour stuff tends to ride up, only 'cause it's a size too big for me. I normally just wear briefs, not boxer briefs. You could try a jock strap...

thejackal
03-07-2007, 06:40 PM
i personally prefer boxer briefs or regular briefs for tennis.

vamosrafa15
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I have no probs with the Nike Pro compression shorts. I wear those. I found that the Under Armour stuff tends to ride up, only 'cause it's a size too big for me. I normally just wear briefs, not boxer briefs. You could try a jock strap...

the compression shorts are the best by far, and then calvin klein or how ever you spell it, they are second but just alittle looser around the "package" that apparently some of us don't have or lack there-of :)

dr_punk
03-07-2007, 10:29 PM
when i use boxer briefs i usually put compression shorts over them but in regular briefs i can do anything

btw, i live in miami which 90 percent of the time, the temp is above 85 :/

equinox
03-07-2007, 10:43 PM
wear nothing.

Duzza
03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
As Tursunov best puts it, "commando" :p

Blade0324
03-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Try the UnderArmour boxer jocks. They are cool, stay pretty dry, and give good support without hugging the nuts too much. I wouldn't wear anything else for tennis now.

croatian sensation
03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
O why did I open this thread!? :-D
But I guess forum is the place to ask such things..you're not gonna walk to the guy on the court near by and ask.."hey dude..what are u wearing under these shorts?" :mrgreen:

Nick Irons
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Nothing embarrassing about the chafe caused by hot humid sweat and cotton

I'd also suggest normal athletic briefs instead of your usual (I wear boxers personally) but for sports you need, er, support.

Douggo
03-09-2007, 11:46 AM
One word: cooljock. No, seriously - it's one word.
Okay, maybe it's Cool-Jock.

tennis-skater
03-09-2007, 04:01 PM
best thing ever are the under armor sport boxer breifs go to an outlet you can get them for 10 bucks and they dont chaff at all

Puredrivetennis
03-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Im feelin' straight up RbK playdry compression shorts-- no chafe, no sweat, no movement.. It's allll good.

Wtitanium
03-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I wear under armour boxers for everything athletic I do, or whenever I wear loose fitting shorts. Otherwise jumping jacks and running are painful.

lorenza
03-10-2007, 10:12 AM
O why did I open this thread!? :-D
But I guess forum is the place to ask such things..you're not gonna walk to the guy on the court near by and ask.."hey dude..what are u wearing under these shorts?" :mrgreen:

haha, i thought the same thing when i opened this thread, but it's actually been pretty entertaining to read :p :D

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
03-10-2007, 11:07 AM
haha, i thought the same thing when i opened this thread, but it's actually been pretty entertaining to read :p :D

what kind of underwear do YOU wear lorenza.

lorenza
03-10-2007, 11:15 AM
what kind of underwear do YOU wear lorenza.

hahaha, it actually depends on what i am wearing over them ;) :p

max
03-10-2007, 11:53 AM
You know what's nice is an old-fashioned jock strap. Mine are a little thicker than regular underwear, so you've got a bit more armor when you're up at the net. . . at least mentally you can think so!

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
03-10-2007, 12:49 PM
eew, i hate jockstraps haha, it irritates my ***, ill stick to my tighty whiteys.

Kaptain Karl
03-10-2007, 02:08 PM
eew, i hate jockstraps haha, it irritates my ***, ill stick to my tighty whiteys.... Then you're probably making a not-uncommon 14-year-old mistake: The label goes in FRONT with this particular article.

- KK

dr_punk
03-10-2007, 02:36 PM
negative on the jock straps
but if you're too bad to wear the briefs, just for for the under armour boxer briefs, you can't go wrong

Joeyg
03-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Dude, Us FULL figured guys have to have some support! A good old fashioned jockstrap does the trick. It also keeps the area relatively cool.

JLBAYERR
03-10-2007, 04:32 PM
im thoroughly convinced that jock straps are in fact the devil

Forehand Forever
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I wear tighter regular boxers that I have. They're not like spandex or anything just regular boxers but tighter because I've had them for a while. They keep my "package" perfectly fine.

zapvor
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
havent you guys never seen john tucker must die????! the thong ALL the WAY. i usually stick to green or pink, but color is a personal preference

WhiteSox05CA
03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Who needs "package" securing?

Kaptain Karl
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Who needs "package" securing?Umm. Any guy who actually *has* one?

- KK

downey stringing master
03-13-2007, 12:44 PM

i am 14 and im fine with regular boxers

dr_punk
03-13-2007, 12:59 PM
at 14 the conversation doesn't apply, but one day, the boxers just wont cut it

downey stringing master
03-14-2007, 10:27 AM
mate im 6 ft 1 im think i well hng ;)

Orion
03-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Been wearing the UA Boxer briefs they come in 3 different lengths. I wear the short ones in the spring & summer and medium length fall and winter. I was wearing regular compression shorts and still do sometimes in the winter months but I find the UA boxer brief to be lighter and the don't restrict movement. They provides more support than compression shorts that just squishing everything together.

Capt. - Where did you find the Robin costume?? Hilarious!!! I got the Superman one and people are still laughing at the pics.

anonymous2364
03-14-2007, 01:34 PM
go commando