PDA

View Full Version : Hitting a righty forehand crosscourt that bounces left

Rickson
09-07-2004, 08:46 AM
How do you make it bounce way to the left(opponent's right)? I made this shot by accident once and I've tried to figure out how to use it in my arsenal. I usually hit a topspin crosscourt, but the extra kick to the left just isn't there. How would you accopmlish this amazing shot consistently?

Mahboob Khan
09-07-2004, 08:38 PM
You mean short angled FH cross-court shot hit from the deuce court?

It is difficult to hit this kind of a shot off a deep cross-court shot. In order to hit angled cross-court, the ball has to land between the baseline and the service line -- a medium ball --; and on this kind of a ball you come around the ball striking the ball between 5 and 6 o' clock (the face of the ball is a clock). Angle begets angle, which means that on a short cross court you can hit short cross court back.

Drill 1 (dead ball):

Put three cones on the court:

one on deep cross court where baseline and the sideline meet;

one between the service line and the baseline (medium cross court);

one where the sideline and the service line meet (short angled cross court).

Have a coach or partner feed you three balls:

one deep cross court -- you hit the deep cone;

one medium cross court -- you hit the medium cone;

one short cross court -- you hit the short angled cone.

and the drill continues until you hit about 200 balls this way.

Drill 2 (liveball):

Start a FH cross court rally with a partner, after six strokes rally, try to hit deep, medium, and short angled cross court balls (live ball drill).

Drill 3 (liveball):

Establish a forehand cross court rally with a partner, on an easier ball hit a winner down the line!

How you earn easier ball? By hitting deep cross, medium cross, and short angled cross court. With this combination your opponent will be stretched wide to his forehand, you go down the line.

All of the above drills can be mirrored for the backhand also.

Drill 4 (liveball):

Start a rally on a single court, after six strokes cooperation, you try to move your opponent around using the above learned combinations.

Drill 5 (liveball):

Start drill 4 with a serve and return of serve.

Drill 6 (liveball):

Play a practice set or two to integrated the learned tactics into game's context!

Rickson
09-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Thanks, Mahboob. I'll try those drills.

Mahboob Khan
09-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Ur welcome!