PDA

View Full Version : Go on the high school Team?

counterpunch _god
03-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I was asked by my high school's coach, to join the high school team, even though i am only in 7th grade. I have an okay ranking (42 in California)
My friend and i were both asked, and we beat the high school varsity #2 6-0, and i beatthe #1 6-3. They seemed pretty ****ed off after their matches, and i don't really want to get them mad at me, so do you think i should join the team?

Voltron
03-08-2007, 08:02 PM
I would, because if you can make the first varsity look like an ***, you've won. Frankly, that is the best feeling ever, making a person that supposed to be better than you look like an ***.

counterpunch _god
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks! I'm going to call up the coach rite now

donut
03-08-2007, 08:40 PM
dont u have to be going to the high school to play for the high school...

Freedom
03-08-2007, 09:03 PM
dont u have to be going to the high school to play for the high school...

I would think so. Freshmen in my area go to the middle schools, but since they are technically in high school, they can play on the team...but seventh-graders can't join.

Kabob190
03-08-2007, 09:50 PM
hey, if your getting that chance take it. i would in a flash. if only i was that good.

Puredrivetennis
03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I was asked by my high school's coach, to join the high school team, even though i am only in 7th grade. I have an okay ranking (42 in California)
My friend and i were both asked, and we beat the high school varsity #2 6-0, and i beatthe #1 6-3. They seemed pretty ****ed off after their matches, and i don't really want to get them mad at me, so do you think i should join the team?

Who cares if they get mad at you? If you're a better player, play-- I had the same problem when I joined my team-- since I started young and wasn't from around, they sort of looked down on me, before and after I became the go-to player; tennis is an individual sport when all is said and done. Don't worry about what others think, play your game if you want to-- they'll have to respect you sooner or later.

xtremerunnerars
03-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Watch out though. People might come at you with eligibility issues. Some places (here included) only let you do 4 years of highschool athletics.

Better to wait if that's the case.

thejackal
03-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Watch out though. People might come at you with eligibility issues. Some places (here included) only let you do 4 years of highschool athletics.

Better to wait if that's the case.

if you're good then you should probably just do USTA senior year anyway.

krprunitennis2
03-09-2007, 07:03 PM

;P If you get to join, I should be able too. I've been waiting for a long time.

Sakumo
03-09-2007, 07:09 PM
In cali you only get 4 years of HS tennis I think. Don't do it. You could win state as a senior. You don't want to ruin that.

serveitup911
03-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I started Varsity in 7th grade and got 6 years of eligibility. You need to find out your conference eligibility rules and decide what your priorities are. If you are already beating the #1, and only get 4 years of eligibility, I would join now and focus on USTA events in my Junior and Senior years.

krprunitennis2
03-09-2007, 07:13 PM
^^ Why can't you just practice with them until you're in 9th then actually start playing tournaments with them?

tennisprofl
03-11-2007, 06:29 PM
ive never heard anything regarding having to be in high school. at my school, sixth graders are allowed on any varsity team.

drhopz
03-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I wish i played tennis earlier :[ I've been one of those late bloomers

KBalla08
03-13-2007, 11:34 PM
wow ive never heard of letting 6th-8th graders play hs varsity... thats a new one

N4n45h1
03-14-2007, 05:53 AM
same...id take the chance

but in my area no one ever gets the chance, even the top 5 in the state didnt join the hs team til freshman year

ibringtheHEAT
03-15-2007, 01:15 PM
wow. if there was a 7th grader on our varsity we would be pretty embarased, especially if they were better.

but hey man, if eligibility allows, go for it.

best of luck to you.

Kevo
03-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I would have loved to have some whiz kid on our tennis team in high school. I didn't get to play with many kids that were that much better than I was, and I am sure it would have helped my game to play and practice with better players.

darkblue
03-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Who cares if they get mad at you? If you're a better player, play-- I had the same problem when I joined my team-- since I started young and wasn't from around, they sort of looked down on me, before and after I became the go-to player; tennis is an individual sport when all is said and done. Don't worry about what others think, play your game if you want to-- they'll have to respect you sooner or later.

go play, no big deal.
42 in CA is a great ranking. get used to beating older players early on.

TheAeropro
03-18-2007, 04:05 PM
yeah, go for it. i wish i was that good. 'm kickin my game upa notch or two, or three... so... Yeah, at our school, there is only one really amazing layer, first singles varsity and the others are pretty much up for grabs

ibringtheHEAT
03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
your lucky its super competetive heree. all of varsity boys are either top 100 in the section or ranked ITF.

TheAeropro
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
No, your lucky. I wish it was more competitive. Maybe, in the long run it will help, but you are forced to be consistent. Here I can make up my ground after mistakes which builds up some more confidence than you would probably get, and I have more chances at hitting winners, because I know I could comeback if I miss. I'm in the middle of a one-set exhibition at school to see who plays where (ie.- first singles, second singles... second doubles). Good news is I'm beating him and it's my serve. 5-3. The best guy on JV, which is soon to be me (cause I lost to him the first time, lack of nutrition and stuff), beat him 6-4. Just got to try mixing up those serves. I have a wicked natural slice serve, and I'm getting better at hitting it flat. So, I serve it slice most of the time, but then he caught on. So I hit it hard and flat to his backhand in the ad court and got a free point (as a rightie, slice serves tend to curve toward the forehand side of the opponent on ad courts, and bring their forehand out wide on deuce courts). Try keeping those in mind, it'll help.