PDA

View Full Version : 5-2 Syndrome

IceBlue
09-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey guys.

Say you are up 5-2 in a set against a "good" player, i.e. one that is at your level or above--is it important to keep going for your shots and be aggressive, or to try to be consistent? I have recently been up 5-2 in a set on two different occasions against "good" players and then lost the set 5-7! I would like to hear what other people do when they have the chance to win against players at levels higher than they. Thanks! :wink:

thehustler
09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Stick to your gameplan. Don't worry about the score or who your opponent is. Just keep doing whatever it was that got you to that lead in the first place. I've been on both ends of that score recently. One I lost the lead, mainly due to a near heat stroke and the extreme temperature outside during a tournament final. The other I was down just a couple days ago. When I was down I took my time and started to breathe and just pace myself, allowing me to get back into the set. When I was up I was rushing myself too much, trying to get off the court as quickly as possible to cool down. I lost that in a tiebreak. Sometimes when you're up by that score you might think to yourself that if you are serving out at 5-2 you might think that if you don't hold here it's ok, because you can serve out again at 5-4 if your opponent holds. That's a bad trap to fall into and that's how I lost that one set. As I said earlier just stick to your gameplan and keep doing what got you to that score in the first place and everything will be fine. HTH.

lendl lives
09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
i hate being up 5-0 and winning 6-2 or 6-3. no more!

jun
09-07-2004, 05:54 PM
You definately don't want to be come tentative.
It really is a fine line.
In nutshell, you want to use your strength and exploit the other person's weakness. Wait for the right ball and be aggressive with your strength. It doesn't mean You should press.

dozu
09-07-2004, 07:53 PM
sometimes when the opponent is down 5-2, he becomes more relaxed as the set is almost gone and he is playing with "house money"... that plus yourself tightening up can really turn the set around.

The trick is keep applying the pressure, and even if he chase back to 5-4 or even 5-5, don't panic, as usually he uses up more energy in getting back into the set.... my personal experience, I often lose a 5-2 or 5-3 lead, but 75% or the time I still win the set 7-5 or 7-6, because the opponent tends to have a let-down after he gets back into the set, and my focus level is higher during the final 2 games or the tie-break.