PDA

View Full Version : How many sponsored college players?

Dunlopkid
03-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I've been told that if you play for a college that basically guarantees a preferred player deal or sponsorship. Is this true? Even at the D3 level? If so, how come more guys aren't taking advantage of this? Any college players here on TW that could chime in with input?

Venetian
03-09-2007, 04:38 PM
My best friend played D2 and got really good deals on Babolats. I think he paid like $150 for 2 Pure Storms and a bag.

Dunlopkid
03-09-2007, 04:45 PM
How good was the school?

Venetian
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Not that great actually. I won't mention it incase he reads the forums lol, but they were small and didn't do that great.

Puredrivetennis
03-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Weird-- I think my post got deleted or something.. Anyway, it's true to a degree, but most college players have deals before they enter ncaa, and just tack on the adidas deal with the school on top of it.. Most players I know are playing for head, wilson, etc and getting 50ish percent off. My coach played 4 years at a d1 before coming on board with me, and started with 30percent off with dunlop and nike.. By his 3rd year, he was on full with dunlop and adidas.. It is different for every player, bro.

tennisboy87
03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I play D1 tennis, and I've got a preferred player package with Babolat. Everyone on my team has a deal as well. From what I've seen, playing in college does mean you can get a preferred player package, although everyone on my team uses either Babolat or Head, so I only know for sure about those two companies.

Puredrivetennis
03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
That's killer-- who do you play for?

IT WAS IN!!!
03-10-2007, 03:14 PM
do you think that if you played on a state champion tennis team you could get a partial sponsorship? like from yonex

plus if you were state ranked?

tennisboy87
03-11-2007, 09:54 AM
That's killer-- who do you play for?

I play for Saint Louis University.

Puredrivetennis
03-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Not too shabby-- what conference are you in? I'll be playing in the NEC next year.. Might see you at the National!
As far as the yonex deal, the team would mean little; sponsors are interested in your results and rankings. You should get in touch with your local yonex rep and see whats up.

tennisboy87
03-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Not too shabby-- what conference are you in? I'll be playing in the NEC next year.. Might see you at the National!

We're in the Atlantic 10 Conference. What school are you playing for next year?

chrisplchs
03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
a lot of it depends on your team.

i have many friends at my D1 team which is consistently ranked in the top 5 or top 10. everybody I talked to, even the guys that don't ever play get all their stuff for free.

so part of it depends on the school, and part of it depends on yourself

DRtenniS1112
03-12-2007, 01:01 PM
I play DIII tennis and it is true for most companies. Last year I had a preferred player deal with Babolat and this year I have switched over to Head. Most kids don't go through with it simply because they do not know about it.

dbenesch15
07-28-2007, 06:06 PM
It is true for Dunlop too. I play D3 tennis in Southern California and have gotten multiple player preferred packages. The most recent of which is 3 Aerogel 300's a 10 racket bag, 12 sets of string and a stencil kit for $239.

Puredrivetennis
07-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Most players at the collegiate level have deals before they even enter uni.. Ive been with babolat for two years now, and im playing d1 this coming fall, should i opt out of playing/working in europe for a year.

snoflewis
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
It is true for Dunlop too. I play D3 tennis in Southern California and have gotten multiple player preferred packages. The most recent of which is 3 Aerogel 300's a 10 racket bag, 12 sets of string and a stencil kit for $239.

what school in socal?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-29-2007, 12:06 AM
I played Division 1 AA, our team received player packages with Babolat (which is a national program for all active college players) and Wilson.

dbenesch15
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
what school in socal?

I play for Whittier College. Do you play for a school in Southern California Snoflewis?

babolat15
07-31-2007, 07:50 AM
im not in college and i get a 62 percent off dunlop package

dmac_ontop
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I played in an NCAA D1 school in my freshman year in Mid-Continent conference, we weren't ranked and neither did we play good schools but I still got the deal for $150 (school paid for it):

3 Pure Drive Plus (original ARods)
12 sets of string
1 cap
6 over grips
a stencil and the paint
12-pack tennis bag
2 t-shirts.

It might be different now but I do not think you have to be ranked to get the deal you just have to be in some form of NCAA team/College team because we kinda were conference anchors that year and I transferred.

dmac_ontop
04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I played in an NCAA D1 school in my freshman year in Mid-Continent conference, we weren't ranked and neither did we play good schools but I still got the deal for $150 (school paid for it):

3 Pure Drive Plus (original ARods)
12 sets of string
1 cap
6 over grips
a stencil and the paint
12-pack tennis bag
2 t-shirts.

It might be different now but I do not think you have to be ranked to get the deal you just have to be in some form of NCAA team/College team because we kinda were conference anchors that year.

tennis-silver
05-02-2010, 03:02 AM
My brothers kid got a similar deal for just being on the team.

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
07-01-2010, 03:56 AM
My brothers kid got a similar deal for just being on the team.

what school did he go to?

cmb
07-01-2010, 07:50 AM
yea every team gets it. Its standard. The top guys are getting it for free directly from the company. But if you are that good u would not be on TT asking this question

BullDogTennis
07-01-2010, 01:19 PM
any college player gets this deal (at least from babolat) anywhere from NAIA to D1

JStar7
07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
I can confirm, as I contacted Tecnifibre for a package and they were willing to give it to me. Also ProKennex. All you have to do is have the coach e-mail or call the company and verify that your a member of the team.

roddick_rulz
07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Do players in community college, like in the ccc division get these deals as well?

iowaviking11
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
i will be playing college tennis in the fall and i know that we get deals from all the major companies including wilson, babolat, head, prince, etc. If u want one just email the company and see what they say.

bfactor61
07-07-2010, 07:26 PM
is it possible to get a sponsorship from a company no matter what team your on? .......div 2 and div3.....what if your team is terrible and your in div3.....would you still get a sponsorship?

iowaviking11
07-07-2010, 07:39 PM
yes u should. most teams offer all college players a discount as long as you have documentation of being on the team

Dream_On
07-13-2010, 06:16 AM
I am going to college this fall to a reasonably good junior college, will I likely be able to get a deal with any racquet company? I thought I might as well ask because I need some new racquets as I have broken a few recently.

NCAAD1rules@gmail.com
09-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Educational Column
NCAA Hot Topic -- NCAA Division I Bylaws 16.11.1.6 (Retention of Athletics Apparel and Equipment) and 16.11.2.5 (Athletics Equipment) (I)

Date Published: September 28, 2006
Item Ref: 1

Educational Column:

NCAA Division I institutions may provide student-athletes with actual and necessary apparel and equipment (e.g., golf clubs, tennis racquets) for intercollegiate practice and competition. In addition, NCAA Division I Bylaw 16.11.1.6 specifies that a student-athlete may retain athletics apparel items (not equipment) at the end of the individual's collegiate participation. Used equipment may be purchased by the student-athlete on the same cost basis as by any other individual interested in purchasing such equipment. Such equipment must be purchased at market value pursuant to Bylaw 16.1.5.

In the event an institution does not provide student-athletes with apparel and/or equipment necessary for practice and competition, the institution may purchase such apparel and equipment at a negotiated rate and require student-athletes to assume, in whole or in part, the cost of such items. In addition, the student-athlete may purchase apparel and equipment necessary for practice and competition directly from the manufacturer at the institution's negotiated rate, provided the institution approves the transaction and certifies the apparel and equipment is necessary for practice and competition and not for personal use. Please note that items purchased in this manner may not be considered the personal property of the student-athlete subsequent to purchase. Apparel and equipment obtained in this manner must be purchased, received, distributed and inventoried in accordance with the institution's normal apparel and equipment policies and procedures. In addition, equipment must be provided to student-athletes on an issuance and retrieval basis, and in accordance with all other Bylaw 16 restrictions, regardless of whether student-athletes purchased the equipment directly from the manufacturer.

Further, a student-athlete's initial purchase contribution may be deducted from the equipment market value in order to determine final purchase price in the event the student-athlete purchases the used equipment. If the market value at the time of final purchase is less than the student-athlete's initial purchase contribution, the student-athlete is not required to provide additional funds in order to retain the used equipment. If the market value at the time of final purchase is greater than the student-athlete's initial purchase contribution, the student-athlete is required to provide the cost difference in order to retain the used equipment.

Finally, a student-athlete may not purchase apparel and equipment for personal use at a reduced rate. Thus, it is not permissible for a student-athlete to purchase additional apparel or equipment (e.g., additional warm-up suits, extra set of golf clubs for family member) that is not required by the institution for practice and competition at a reduced rate. Such an arrangement constitutes an extra benefit if arranged by the institution or its staff members, or preferential treatment if provided by the equipment manufacturer unless the opportunity to purchase items in this manner is available to the general student body. [/COLOR]

[References: Bylaws 12.1.2.1.6 (preferential treatment, benefits or services), 16.02.3 (extra benefit); 16.1.5.1 (assignment of normal retail value), 16.11.1.6 (retention of athletics apparel and equipment), 16.11.2.5 (athletics equipment), a 7/28/94 staff interpretation Item No. 7, a 10/21/93 official interpretation Item No. 1, a 3/31/89 staff interpretation Item No. d and a 10/23/86 official interpretation Item No. p]