PDA

View Full Version : Ferrero Withdraws with Chicken Pox

sseemiller
03-11-2004, 05:35 PM
This is the big tennis news at IW. Of course, most everyone is talking about the terrible tragedy in Spain. I'm sitting next to a Spanish journalist, and she's been very worried about her family. My thoughts and prayers are with those in Spain.

Not much to report. Just got here, and got my computer set up at the media station on the main court. The guy I work with isn't here so I'm kind of taking his place. And I'm sitting close to Bud Collins. :wink:

The only ironic thing, though, is that I checked in, and went to the elevator to shlepp my stuff upstairs, and I heard a familiar voice. Well, I stepped onto the elevator, and there was Rafael Nadal with his coach and another guy. My first thought is that he is VERY tall. They laughed at how much stuff I was carrying and pressed the button for me. I said, "Good Luck, Rafael" And I think he was surprised I knew who he was. Told you Petra, we report on who we got on the elevator with. Well, this one was pretty ironic, given that I had only been here about 5 minutes. My first view of Rafa live. :wink:

Seen some players around, but that's pretty normal. Tomorrow's scheduled is loaded; lots of great matches. I love the beginning of the tourney -- it's my fave time -- when there's so much to look forward to.

Take care.

Susan

hangzhou
03-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Nadal doesn't even know you and you never meet with him in person, and you are building web sites for him. Very strange, pls give me a hint... :-)

To bad for Ferror, hope he will not follow Hewitt's steps. :-)

Phil
03-11-2004, 05:50 PM
hangzhou - You beat me to this question.

Ferrero should have played in the tournament anyway-that way, after losing in the first or second round, he would have yet another excuse-this one legit-for losing the match.

pound cat
03-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Bad new for Ferrero...chicken pox is no laughing matter for adults.. write off 2004 IMO.

Frodo Baggins
03-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Where did you get the info bout Hoppie getting chickenpox?? Thanks susan ...

sseemiller
03-11-2004, 06:06 PM
If you are familiar with how fan sites work, you wouldn't find it strange at all. Vamos Rafael is a fan site, not an official site. Players rarely have any connection with unofficial fan sites. In fact, they are discouraged from becoming too close to fans and to fan sites, as fans can get the wrong idea about the player's interest in them. Rafa is just 17 years old, remember.

I don't need to know Rafa personally to admire his tennis and to see a journalistic need for a site for people to learn more about him. There's a need for it, as evidenced by the hundreds, and sometimes thousands of hits we get a day. If I hadn't' done it, perhaps someone else would have, but likely not. At least not until he became more of a top player. And it was a heck of a lot easier to get it going at the start of his career than it would be now. I figured I'd take a flier on him and hope for the best. :wink:

It's a creative venture, and one I enjoy, as it promotes tennis and an interesting player. Eventually there will be more sites for him, but right now we're the only show in town. As I told you before, we were named Player Site of the Month in German Tennis Mag (Feb/March). And we will be featured in the March issue of French Court Central magazine. A French journalist contacted me for an interview. Apparently he didn't see anything strange about it. :lol:

But it will be fun for me to see Rafa play live -- finally. Hope this satisfies your curiosity. :wink:

Susan

sseemiller
03-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Frodo, Jerry Milani, the head of media relations at IW, announced it in the media room. So I assume it's true. I don't know if JC is here, though. Fortunately, I've had chicken pox.

Susan

Phil
03-11-2004, 06:12 PM
"Hope this satisfies your curiosity."

Yes, Susan, it does. Thanks for that detailed explanation.

hangzhou
03-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Got you, Susan. That's very interesting. Is there anyway that we can pick one pro? Just be curiosity, probably will never do it due to limited resource.

Pound Cat: Didn't know how serious the chicken pox will be, so now I would wish best for Ferror and wish he will come back soon since we like his games...

edge
03-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Susan, I just visited your website. So he's right-handed but plays left? I've heard of the reverse but never this way. How did that come about.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-11-2004, 08:06 PM
That's awesome Susan, but if I were you, I would have tried to talk to him in the elevator more. Didn't you say that his agent told you to build the site? I mean, you could've at least mentioned it....

But sounds great. My favorite quarter is gone now, Moya vs. Ferrero was gonna be insane. Too bad, guess his parents should've basically given him chicken pox when he was young like most do. How long do chicken pox normally last?

sseemiller
03-11-2004, 08:30 PM
First things first. Rafael's English is not good, and my Spanish is not good. So two strikes against us right there. :lol: He did respond in English when I said Good Luck, but I was prepared to say Buena Suerte. Fortunately, it was not necessary. He got the idea. :lol:

But our site tries to be bi-lingual, but it primarily is for his English-speaking fans. I expect at some point they will have a Spanish site for him, which is needed. Although I give his Spanish fans credit for doing the best they can to provide us with info, and we also try to post as many Spanish articles/interviews as we can, but we can't be truly bi-lingual as of yet. It's not an easy process, but we have several people who do translations for us, which is fantastic.

Our site has always been a fan site, although his agent did make a nice remark about it once.

As for Rafa playing left-handed, he made a comment that he just started playing that way, and never stopped. He hasn't said much about it. Perhaps we can find out more later.

And one more thing, I have respect for the players' privacy. If I get a chance to ask Rafa questions at the appropriate time, I will, but the elevator at the hotel isn't the time. That's the players' off-time. They don't expect to be approached then, and it's not the time to approach them, in my view. Other than with a general hello and good luck. Although I could have asked him if he was playing doubles, and I kind of kick myself on that point. :lol:

Bhagi Katbamna
03-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Hopefully, he'll have a quick recovery.

roundiesee
03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Chickenpox shouldn't be that bad; Ferrero's only 24 so he should recover in 2 weeks. He needs to take Zovirax at an early stage of the illness to recover more quickly though. Hope he gets back real soon on the court.

pound cat
03-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Remember when Hewitt got chicken pox at the beginning of 2002. (or 2001??) He was feeling its effects 4 or 5 months later. Like Ferrero Hewitt was fatigued and feeling lousy , & like all viruses chicken pox is opportunistic & finds a weakened host, in this case Lleyton, & Ferrero spent the last 6 months saying how tired he was. It's much more serious in adults than in children. & can return later as shingles, an extremely painful & hard to treat condition.

sseemiller
03-12-2004, 07:55 PM
I did see Ferrero in the hotel today, and he must be feeling okay if he's out and about. His girlfriend Patricia was at breakfast, and I think she brought a "doggie bag" back for him. But again, he was in the hallways, so perhaps they are thinking he'll be okay for Miami. I hope so.

roundiesee
03-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Good point pound cat. I guess we have to wait and see what happens to Juan over the next few months. Just hope he will not react like Lleyton did to the virus.....

Feņa14
03-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Well there goes my pick for IW!

O well, get soon Juanqui.

Liam

Hyperstate
03-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Actually, I'm quite amazed that Hewitt and Ferrero didn't go for vaccination jabs against the pox. Pros, get immunized the rest of ya! We want you to stay on TV! :lol:

BeHappy
05-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Chickenpox shouldn't be that bad; Ferrero's only 24 so he should recover in 2 weeks. He needs to take Zovirax at an early stage of the illness to recover more quickly though. Hope he gets back real soon on the court.

lol, you had no idea.

Tempest344
05-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Haha......

pound cat
05-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Why on earth earth would someone drag up a thread that is 4 years old? this news is about as current as is news about the sinking of th e Titanic.