PDA

View Full Version : cross training shoes for tennis?

tennisfanatic
03-09-2007, 11:47 PM
has anyone tried using cross training shoes in tennis? how was it?

The Ripper
03-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I've used some Nike cross-trainers (don't remember the model) and also New Balance 609's. Both sell for about $49 at discount sports stores and do the job well. X-trainers are generally lighter than pure "tennis" shoes and I had no problem with slipping, turning over, etc. They certainly feel less aggressive than a "game day" player's shoe, probably because of the greater padding and generally roomier fit, but it's a minor difference. I would just watch out for x-trainers that may be too high from the court which could cause rolling over the side of the shoe which I'm sure you know can be a serious injury.

Good luck!

Ronny
03-14-2007, 12:43 AM
i sometimes wear my asics gel-kayano 12's when playin on grass..they have pretty good traction on grass for quick stops etc

zapvor
03-15-2007, 04:14 AM
i used to have NB CT1001 and used it for tennis because i didnt have money to get new shoes, and i tore the fcuk out of it. but it was so light and comfortable. the only thing is lacked was enough support because the sole and side just got completely sanded away. and this happened within like 4 months. but i had the shoes way longer before i started using tennis, so it was getting worn anyways.

Lindros13
03-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Despite its name, I've always felt that cross trainers do not provide enough lateral support for tennis. You can get away with it, but I think your feet and ankles are best served with a more supportive tennis sneaker.

And most people would agree that running sneakers are an absolute no. Although 1 guy I play with insists his running sneakers are the best fit for him and that he has sufficient lateral support. I think he's nuts regardless which running sneaker he uses.