PDA

View Full Version : I need ludicrous cushioned shoes

mucat
03-10-2007, 12:02 AM
I have knee problem and I need a pair of new shoes to get ready for summer tennis again. I wear CT1001 before and MDP current.

What about the new Reebok MP? CT1002?

Reebok NetMaster II? New Balance CT 780? I know this two are on sale but do they provide maximum cushioning compare to other choices?

What about the Asics?

To all folks with knee problem, recommendations?

Thanks

OrangeOne
03-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I'd recommend.... getting the knee problem looked at!

Sounds harsh (and maybe you are getting it seen to? you didn't mention....), but in my opinion we shouldn't look to simply have equipment solve physical problems.

I've had knee problems, and in the process of fixing them, the surgeon recommended firmer control-oriented shoes, which have been better for me in the long run - they allow the rest of the body to move & work they way it was designed. It is indeed possible that very soft shoes could in fact feel less painful when you try them on, but be much worse in the long run for your knee. But hey - I'm no expert!

I reply to so many of these posts by saying Sports Physiotherapists are the way to go....

kreative
03-10-2007, 07:25 AM
you're already wearing the 2 shoes i was about to recommend? are you not liking the MDPs?

Ronaldo
03-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Just stay true to this, Reebok shines luminous
MDP, anything else is simply ludicrous
Wore the NB CT-780 last year, a llittle firm

jaykay
03-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Mucat: I wear the Reebok Upset DMX (great cushioned feel), Reebok MDP (nice cushioning, but heel slips out occasionally), K-Swiss Ultrascendor (top of my feet hurts because of the much-acclaimed lace system) and New Balance CT820 (low to the ground, fast show) alternatingly.

I wore the CT820 during a tough match on a cold day (30 degrees) and busted my ACL. Underwent surgery last wk and am out for some months now.

I'd like to buy a new Upset DMX all over again and shall experiment with the Prince T10 in some months.

Everybody's feet is different and it might be worthwhile paying for good, professional advice in selecting the right shoe.

OrangeOne: I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you are from Australia (and not the US, where I live), I could be mistaken. Any ideas as to where I could get this professional advice? I'm undergoing physiotherapy now for my knee rehab and will be sure to ask my sports physio his opinion on the subject.

heycal
03-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Reebok NetMaster II? New Balance CT 780? I know this two are on sale but do they provide maximum cushioning compare to other choices?

What about the Asics?

To all folks with knee problem, recommendations?

Thanks

I think my Netmaster's feel a tad better for my knees than my NB 653's when I play on hard court, for what's it worth. But for all their cushioning, they seem strangely hard and uncomfortable on my feet sometimes, as do the MDP's. Maybe it's a Reebok thing... but at least the Netmaster's are pretty looking compared to those clown shoe MDPs, and a little lighter.

mucat
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys.

I am currently using Dr Scholl's Tri-Comfort Orthotics with my MDP and also taking joint supplement daily. But the outsole of my MDP will be wearing out soon. So, I need a new pair of shoes. The MDP is a good shoes with great cushioning, but it is too heavy for my size and/or a little too high, I twisted my ankle twice with the MDP. But I am very impressed by the Reebok's cushioning.

So the CT780 is not as cushioned as the CT1001? I know the CT820 is not a heavy cushioned shoes. What about the 1002? From what I read here, it is not as cushioned as 1001. Anyone tried the new Reebok MP?

OrangeOne
03-11-2007, 12:04 AM
OrangeOne: I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you are from Australia (and not the US, where I live), I could be mistaken. Any ideas as to where I could get this professional advice? I'm undergoing physiotherapy now for my knee rehab and will be sure to ask my sports physio his opinion on the subject.

Mine came from my knee surgeon, who was very sports-oriented, and I was recommended to him via my sports physio and a sports medico. I'd bet $$ to cents that your sports physio will be more than capable of giving you the advice you need though, and if for some reason they can't I'm sure they'll point you to someone who can. My sports physio is very whole-body focussed, he made me my orthotics which helped some knee pain on their own.

I was surprised at how specific the advice was, that said, I knew little about sports shoes at that time. I had always bought 'what was comfortable in the store', and often bought Nike with the cushiest air pocket. The surgeon videoed my running, played it back and laughed at how bad my Nikes were at the time for me (and showed me why in slo-mo, they weren't helping my foot move 'normally' at all). He sent me off to buy a control-oriented runner (he listed 2 models each in NB, Brooks and Asics), I bought the best of the Brooks options and have never looked back....

kreative
03-11-2007, 01:17 AM
wow, my experience w/ the mdp's were that they were extremely stable. despite it not having a "low to the ground" feeling like the barricade II's due to the extra cushioning, the higher cut provided good ankle support. i do agree that they feel more sluggish due to the extra weight, but i got used to it after a short while.

jaykay
03-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Mine came from my knee surgeon, who was very sports-oriented, and I was recommended to him via my sports physio and a sports medico. I'd bet $$ to cents that your sports physio will be more than capable of giving you the advice you need though, and if for some reason they can't I'm sure they'll point you to someone who can. My sports physio is very whole-body focussed, he made me my orthotics which helped some knee pain on their own.

I was surprised at how specific the advice was, that said, I knew little about sports shoes at that time. I had always bought 'what was comfortable in the store', and often bought Nike with the cushiest air pocket. The surgeon videoed my running, played it back and laughed at how bad my Nikes were at the time for me (and showed me why in slo-mo, they weren't helping my foot move 'normally' at all). He sent me off to buy a control-oriented runner (he listed 2 models each in NB, Brooks and Asics), I bought the best of the Brooks options and have never looked back....

Thanks OrangeOne. This is most helpful. I'll be sure to ask my surgeon / sports_physio.

Btw, in the US, there are enough stores that provide professional advice for the right shoes for running (they make you run, check for pronation/supination and look at the wear of your old shoes etc). I use a Brooks Adrenaline myself for running and am very happy with it. I am unable to find that kind of professional advice in order to buy a tennis shoe though.

mucat
03-11-2007, 02:03 PM
How about between Reebok MP or NB CT1002?

My MDP is wearing out quick...I am in the process of seeing my doctor, but just have a new born at home and a 4 years old, I have little time for anything including sleep. And lifting stroller up and down stairs doesn't help my knee's neither :(

movdqa
03-11-2007, 05:41 PM
I use New Balance Ultra Arch Supports in my running and tennis shoes and these do a nice job at providing additional cushioning and arch support.

I screwed up my knees last summer running without orthotics (arch supports) for just one run. I swapped shoes with my son which was a huge mistake.

http://www.brownsnewbalance.com/newproducts/IUAS1000.jpg

slice bh compliment
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
... I swapped shoes with my son which was a huge mistake.

My son and I both wear a size thirteen. I did the same thing with my son's crocs. He is in kindergarten, and we both have a pair of blue ones...but his are a kid's 13! How embarrassing!

Kidding.

I have some pain in my knees, too. Nothing serious, just some soreness after playing a few days in a row. But it has gotten better over the past year. I'd like to echo some of the Orange One's thoughts about fixing the problem and going with a good performance whoe, rather than a cushy one.

I rotate three pairs of Babolat tennis shoes (which are on the low and stiff side of the spectrum). In all of them, I wear their new ortholite insoles and two pairs of socks (one, a Thorlo). I love the shoes -- but it is funny, the outsoles last longer than the insoles, so I get new ones every month or two, depending on how much I'm playing. Really helps for hardcourts.

Lately, I've been a whole lot better about stretching my hamstrings and quads. That has helped my knees in the biggest way.

OrangeOne
03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Lately, I've been a whole lot better about stretching my hamstrings and quads. That has helped my knees in the biggest way.

Do you stretch your calves and your illiotibial bands too?

I'm in no way qualified to diagnose, but I'm just going off a common physio recommendation to remove knee pain, and I'm purely guessing it may be applic to you given your current stretching seems to improve things as it is....

I'll write more as to why & look up some refs if you currently don't stretch the above and want to try....

heycal
03-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Do you stretch your calves and your illiotibial bands too?

I'm familiar with calf stretches, but how might one stretch the illiotibial bands?

Phil
03-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks OrangeOne. This is most helpful. I'll be sure to ask my surgeon / sports_physio.

Btw, in the US, there are enough stores that provide professional advice for the right shoes for running (they make you run, check for pronation/supination and look at the wear of your old shoes etc). I use a Brooks Adrenaline myself for running and am very happy with it. I am unable to find that kind of professional advice in order to buy a tennis shoe though.

Yeah, what Orange said-get your knees checked out. That said, I've found that the Prince Viper II's provide a lot of cushioning and stability. I wear the mid-cut for added ankle support, which I need. I've played on some very hard courts, and never had a problem with foot or knee pain-at least due to shoes. These shoes are probably better for people with slightly wider feet-the square toe box really helps.

stormholloway
03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Not much has been talked about them, but I like the Adidas Accelerators.

I have knee issues and a high arch and these are perfect. They have high arches and the a3 shock absorption. Keep in mind that cushioning is one thing and shock absorption in the soles is another. To comfort the knees shock absorption is most important and the a3 tubes in the Accelerators do a great job.

I liken the Accelerators to the Breathe shoes from Nike. These appear to have the highest arches out there.

mucat
03-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks again, guys. I will get my knee check out. I used to have heel pain too but the past 2 years I have been wearing good cushioned shoes for tennis and everyday walking, my heel pain has been gone. Only problem left is my knee, but I believe my knee problem came from my slightly OS body (hey, my racket too) and lifting kids up and down stairs.

So Prince make good cushioned shoes as well? I look at some of their shoes, my main concern is they look like they are 1-2oz heavier than others. That's a concern to me, anyone bother by their weight? Or the weight is not a concern?

Thanks.

BreakPoint
03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
IMO, Prince makes the most cushioned tennis shoes on the market, and have been for many, many years. They are also very high in quality of materials and workmanship, much more so than brands like Reebok or Nike. I highly recommend the T-10 model. And, no, the weight doesn't bother me at all. If you can handle the weight of the MDP's then the T-10's will probably feel like feathers on your feet. Personally, I couldn't handle the weight of the MDP's as they felt like boat anchors on my feet so I got rid of them very quickly.

Ronaldo
03-12-2007, 12:00 AM
mucat, what kind of knee problem do you have? Had chondromalacia and without strengthening the muscles around the knee to correct a muscle imbalance, no shoe really eased the pain. Getting off the hardcourts really eased the pain.

OrangeOne
03-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm familiar with calf stretches, but how might one stretch the illiotibial bands?

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/index.html

That page seems to have some good ones - it's just the result of a quick google. You should feel the stretch down the outer side of the leg, most usually feel it at one of the attachment points in the hip or around the knee.

The ITB runs down the outside of your leg, and often gets overly tight in athletes that run or cycle a lot, and this tightness (at least in me & many people I know) can have an impact on the knee. There's a bunch of stretches in the above site, although the best one my physio has had me doing isn't there and is a shocker to explain. I could try, and I did, and then I gave up. Given that this 'band' is not a muscle, I was always told to stretch for 3 repeats of 60 second blocks instead of the 'usual' 20 for it to have an effect.

What I will say is that the knee seems to be often pulled out of alignment by a variety of muscular tightness. Anyone with decent knee pain will really need a physio to work out what tightness is pulling your knee where - and I'll say what I've said 100 times on here - a visit or two to a sports physio will often have pain diagnosed, and have you sent home with a bunch of stretches to do, and not a million repeat visits unless something's very wrong.

That said, if anyone is currently doing a stretching regime, I can't imagine including an ITB stretch in there will hurt, and it has been prescribed to many people I know who've had knee pain.

backcourt
03-12-2007, 06:15 AM
I use New Balance Ultra Arch Supports in my running and tennis shoes and these do a nice job at providing additional cushioning and arch support.

I screwed up my knees last summer running without orthotics (arch supports) for just one run. I swapped shoes with my son which was a huge mistake.

http://www.brownsnewbalance.com/newproducts/IUAS1000.jpg

I also use and recomend these NB Ultra Arch Supports. I use them in my Reebok Upset DMX's and the combination provides great cushioning for my patellar tendonitis.

I have also worn NB 1001 which are well cushioned, and definitely feel more cushioned that the 1002's I recently tried on at the local NB outlet.

Ronaldo
03-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Btw, mucat, what has Ludacris to do with cushy shoes?

mucat
03-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Ronaldo, my knee problem began after my first daughter was born 4 years ago. I noticed everytime I walk up/down the stairs, my knee was making "click" sound every step and it just get worse from there. It took me a while to figure out I have a knee problem. Ever since, I have been taking Glucosamine\Chondroitin\MSM and quit being a so cheap on shoes. I know my problem started when I walked a lot more stairs than before and carrying heavier objects while walking those stairs. But it is too late now, my 2nd daughter is born couple months ago and I have to go thru the same routines again.

BTW, I probably shouldn't use ludicrous unless it is related to space travel...

backcourt, I am in Canada, those NB inserts might be difficult for me to get here. Currently, I only use dr. sholls insole and orthotics, they seems to work fine so far.

jonolau
03-12-2007, 08:12 AM
mucat,

One question: have you gained any weight during your wife's pregnancy? Usually pregnant ladies have cravings, and the husband either joins her in eating, or will finish up the leftovers that she'd couldn't eat. :D

I'm serious about it. I went through a similar experience when my first daughter was born about four and a half years ago. It was further compounded by the fact that I totally laid off tennis or any exercise.

When I tried to make a tennis comeback, I was plagued by a horribly stiff and painful right knee. It was so bad that I struggled to climb up stairs, and I couldn't get up from a squatting position. I had to roll onto my side and use my arms to prop myself back up into a standing position.

I went for X-rays, saw an orthopedic surgeon who told me that it was not a joint problem. The only thing I could do in my situation was to lose the exces weight that I'd piled on and do light strength conditioning exercises.

I'm not saying that your condition is the same as mine, but I'm just sharing my personal experiences.

Since that time 2 years ago, I've shed about 26lbs, mainly through a combination of watching my diet (I must admit it a lot of discipline to cut out the soda, desserts, potato chips and late night snacking!!) and exercising more. I've had a pain free knee ever since then and am playing intense tennis twice a week.

Hope this helps.

mucat
03-12-2007, 08:19 AM
jonolau, ha, of course. I am 30 something. My weight has been gainning before my daughter was born and it just keep going from there. I love to eat so it's not my wife's fault...except she is a ludicrous good cook...ok, it is her fault.

jonolau
03-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Ha ha, so there you go. All hope is not lost. All it takes is determination and discipline ...

One consolation for you: recognizing the cause is the first and most important step to recovery.

Good luck on your quest! :D

heycal
03-12-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/index.html

That page seems to have some good ones - it's just the result of a quick google. You should feel the stretch down the outer side of the leg, most usually feel it at one of the attachment points in the hip or around the knee.

Thanks, OO. Will check it out.

siow_a
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Yonex 304 slightly better than 305. Better than the ultrascender and Prince MC4, Prince T9, Reebok Netmaster.

304 are the most comfortable for my knees....

mucat
03-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Yonex 304 slightly better than 305. Better than the ultrascender and Prince MC4, Prince T9, Reebok Netmaster.

304 are the most comfortable for my knees....

I have heard conflicted comments about the 304/305. Most people suggested them have good cushioning, but some added that they have good cushioning for its weight. Which means it does not have the best cushioning since they are so light. I am reluctant to try them for their weight.

Pushmaster
03-22-2007, 02:23 PM
If you want light weight and ultra cushioning, K-Swiss Ultrascender. I can't say enough good things about these shoes, simply the best.

aidenous
03-23-2007, 09:36 AM
The Yonex 304 is the most cushioned shoe I have ever tried. What amazed me was the amount of cushioning and support they provide with being so light. I think some people see how light they are and think there is no way they can provide as much cushion and support but they do.

bsandy
03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Spenco Polysorb (ask for it by name)

mucat
03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks guy. I wasn't looking for light shoes, I am looking for the most cushion. So far, I found MDP has the most cushion but they are just too heavy to run around with them.

bsandy, I will look for them but I am in Canada, so they will be difficult to find and might be expensive.

I just ordered the Prince T10, will the here in a few weeks. Hopefully, it is good.

BreakPoint
03-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I just ordered the Prince T10, will the here in a few weeks. Hopefully, it is good.
I think you've made a good choice. Lots of cushioning and support in the Prince T-10. :D

Good luck with them!!

mucat
03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
I think you've made a good choice. Lots of cushioning and support in the Prince T-10. :D

Good luck with them!!

Yes, yes. Thank you. You and others poster mentioned Prince, so I did some reading on user comments and I decided to give it a try (Since I already tried reebok and NB). Let's see how good they are.

BTW, I will still hit 1HBH with OS racket, just so you know...

BreakPoint
03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
BTW, I will still hit 1HBH with OS racket, just so you know...
Well good for you.....but I'd be willing to bet that you'd gain a lot more accuracy and maneuverability on your 1HBH with a Mid. ;) My 1HBH is pretty much pinpoint with my nCode 90. :D

fuzz nation
03-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Though I don't carry extra pounds on my frame, I've always been at least somewhat interested in cushioning in my sneaks and have never been disappointed with the different generations of Prince Vipers or any of their other shoes that have the NFS layout. I'd definately like to hear how you do with their T-10's since those look like my next logical installment from Prince.

I've just gotten several weeks of use in with a pair of Kswiss Ascendors and they've been a very pleasant surprise. I've only had slightly better stability in one or two other pairs I've ever had, they're rather light with great ventilation, and they seem to get 20% more comfortable every time I use them. I thought they were a little cheap and cheezy when I first tried them on, but after about four outings, they were like bedroom slippers. No signs of cushioning problems either - I had five hour outings on Sat. and Sun., but no soreness that I'd get from hard sneaks. My legs are just a little tired.

Definately get a professional perspective if you've got chronic pain in your legs. The guys I know who have needed help and sought it out have seen a world of difference. Shock absorbing inserts have given me amazing relief in the past - mostly from sore ankles - but I think that shoe and foot misalignment need to be cured by a trained eye.

mucat
03-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Just got my T10, did a little walking test (my feets are very sensitive to hard floor and bad shoes nowaday), the cushioning feels good. Going to be snowing this weekend, so I will have to wait until next week to test them on court.

courtrage
03-30-2007, 07:03 PM
I've had knee problems, and in the process of fixing them, the surgeon recommended firmer control-oriented shoes, which have been better for me in the long run - they allow the rest of the body to move & work they way it was designed....

OrangeOne, what shoes do you wear for tennis and what insoles? i too find that wearing the breathe free 1 and vapor speed that have smaller air units and lower to the ground seemed to bother me less than the max breathe free 2...for the back bottom of my heel that is...i'm going to sports MD on the 9th but i wondered what you wear for tennis...seems like you mentioned what you wore for running already...i also noticed that going barefoot at home doesnt irritate my heel hardly at all...my foot doesnt feel like its getting twisted any...even wearing these adidas massaging type sandals somes bothers me...i think maybe my foot is sinking in a tad and thats unstable...thanks a bunch...

mucat
05-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Finally got a chance to try out the T10 in a real hitting situation, instead of my other hitting partner "the wall". The cushioning is very good, it is a lower ride than the CT1001 and MDP but it has similiar cushioning. The whole shoes have similiar feel and fit with the CT1001, which it is a good thing, I like New Balance shoes, they fit like a glove. however the front of the T10 is a little wider than the CT1001, which I do not like it as much but it is more a personal feet shape. But the (tiny bit) wider front does not seems to affect my movement so far.

I think the T10 has superior cushioning than the CT1001 and the MDP, since it is a lower ride shoes. Very good shoes IMO.