PDA

View Full Version : Any shoes to keep my feet blister free?

lzclzclzc
03-12-2007, 05:34 AM
Anything that is below say 80 that relieve my feet of the burning sensation when i play.

snoflewis
03-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Anything that is below say 80 that relieve my feet of the burning sensation when i play.

that "burning sensation" is what gives you callouses on your feet....

try some cushioned shoes like MDP

lzclzclzc
03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
MDP as in reebok match day pump?

Lindros13
03-12-2007, 01:50 PM
I've had great success with my Addidas Barricade II's. Never had problems with blisters even after very long tennis sessions. However, I got blisters after using the same Barricade II sneakers for racquetball a few months ago. My assessment was that my feet were not accustomed to the quick stop and go of racquetball and the excess sweating (since I normally play tennis and sweat less). Question for you: Have you been playing tennis routinely and still get the blisters or is this a newly introduced activity?

If you just started playing regularly, then I'd recommend slowly introducing tennis sessions until your feet can get accustomed to the new exercise and footwork motions. If you have been playing routinely and still have blisters frequently, then you're best bet is to just experiment and find other brands that seem to fit well.

Lastly, my brother says his feet sweat a lot and he gets blisters often. He actually changes socks between sets and lathers on some type of powder, and that seems to help. He may look funny pulling his socks off, but it works for him!!

lzclzclzc
03-12-2007, 02:05 PM
well i've been playing for almost 3 years, heavily during spring and summer and mayb once or twice a week during other seasons.
i played handball(something like racquetball, except there is only one wall, alot of stop and go action) for 6 years, and i've had blisters, too. Mostly on the side of the big toe and on top of some toes. As a matter of fact, i've had blisters for a while now, i dont remember when i started getting them. But the difference now is that it burns so much after and when i play.

officerdibble
03-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I think it's all about fit. I can't wear Nike or Asics, but fortunately Adidas Barricade IIs fit like, well, like shoes that fit!

I've also found that different socks make a huge difference. I find that the higher-tech mixes tend to be less secure in the shoe, and that I get the best fit with good quality cotton socks (ironically Adidas seem the best again).

I've never had a problem with my Barricade II / cotton sock combination - and only ever one pair of socks too (I don't mean that I only own one pair, I mean as in not layering socks).

Good luck.

fgs
03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
cotton socks (at least 95%) are surely worth a try and then i think that you don't have a fitting shoe - you get your blisters mainly because your foot is moving around in the shoe. try to find some with a tighter fit or try putting on two pairs of socks. it's difficult to make any recommendation, because i can't find any nike shoe that fits my foot, but nike sure has quite some good shoes out there regarding cushioning, ventilation, torsion control, etc. go to a shop on a late afternoon, so your feet are "tired" and try for a tighter fitting shoe - it should not squeeze though, for then you run into different problems. they have to be comfortable but firm.

lzclzclzc
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
that could be the reason, having tighter fit sneakers. Now, fgs you mentioned cushioning, ventilation, torsion control and such. Would extra cushioning be better for my case? Or worse?

fgs
03-13-2007, 10:21 AM
i suppose you play hardcourts, so better cushioning is always good. but, depending on your personal movment pattern, you'd need extra cushioning on different places. to have a general idea (it's not that i recommend the shoes although they work perfectly for me, my type of foot and my movement pattern) about these issue you can go to the wilson-site. they have three types of shoes - like for the starter, who will mostly run on his heels and therefore would need extra cushioning there, up to the pro who has a different movement pattern employing mostly his forefoot.
i understand that there are stores in the us (seen one in austria too) where they have really well trained salespeople - they make a tape of you running and than they recommend a fitting shoe, not only for your foot type but also for your movement style.
i always say that there's three things of importance in the life of a tennis player - the racquet, the strings, the shoes - the rest is show.

scotus
03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
You should tape your toes the moment you feel a slightest burn.

Federer keeps his feet taped all the time when playing matches.

Voltron
03-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I can't tell you which shoes to buy, but I can tell you how to pop a blister, plus I have photos. I'm not kidding, photos. :(

tennis_nerd22
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
ive been wondering what kind of shoe to go for too, cuz i got blisters with vapor 3's and barricade 4's :(

Swissv2
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I have used double socks + barricade II = comfy tennis.

No more blisters for me :D

stormholloway
03-13-2007, 07:47 PM
I think it's all about the sock. Get the thickest thorlos. I'm chiming in because I played today with the only clean pair of socks I had and my feet looks like I walked on hot coals. Coarse socks will rub your feet raw.

lzclzclzc
03-13-2007, 10:14 PM
yea its hard court, i move around mostly with my forefoot, thats where all the blisters are concentrated. Amazingly there are no blisters in the heel.

I've actually had a few pairs of wilsons before, since i used to work for them. They were very comfy but i dont remember if i had any blisters with them. I had the Crossfire and some other pair that looks much better than the crossfire.

so two socks seems to be the popular solution, but wont it be really hot especially during the summer? and will make my feet sweat and hence more moisture = more blisters?

fgs
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
if you have a nicely ventilated shoe, the moisture will evaporate - i play with two pairs of socks plus ankle support on both feet and keep pretty dry in the wilson tour shoes. even the trance don't get too wet, in spite of being less well ventilated. there are other good ventilated shoes around as well. the tapeing of federer a poster referred to is for ankle support and has nothing to do with blisters.

lzclzclzc
03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
hmmm... ok

Voltron
03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
I suggest the tennis specific thorlos, I have 4 blisters on my feet, and none of them hurt while playing in the thorlos.

lzclzclzc
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM
thorlos?
is that a type of material?

Lindros13
03-15-2007, 04:39 AM
thorlos?
is that a type of material?

That's the brand name. They're typically much thicker than traditional socks and actually very comfortable. I think I sweat too much in them because of their thickness but apparently it works for some people. Most sports stores carry them, or here is the link where you can buy the Men's version from TW: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-MSTHORLOS.html. There's also women's versions on TW.

ionutzakis
03-15-2007, 04:57 AM
don't get thick socks, it's true, you will not get cal. anymore, but you'll not feel the court anymore like you used to, your play will dive

lzclzclzc
03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
but it burns!!!

fgs
03-15-2007, 02:57 PM
everyone has his own experience - i play with two pairs of socks since my junior days, and more recently ankle support on both feet, and i can't say i don't feel the court anymore. my play hasn't taken a dive either, but i will give it a try without socks at all - maybe i can still make it into the atp. would be fun to be the oldest ranked player:D .

Lindros13
03-16-2007, 04:36 AM
don't get thick socks, it's true, you will not get cal. anymore, but you'll not feel the court anymore like you used to, your play will dive

There seems to be a few options with thorlos - some thicker and some thinner than others. The idea that you won't feel the court as much seems to make some sense, especially for super thick socks (or double socks) but I'm not so sure about the blanket statement that your game will dive...

If you're concerned about the "feel" of the court, then pick out a few different pairs, ones that are thicker and ones that are thinner and test 'em out.

Are your feet burning because there are existing blisters? If so, you may need to let them heal before ANY sock will feel good.

lzclzclzc
03-16-2007, 04:54 AM
there are existing callouses...however u spell that...
on the side of big toes and on top of some toes. When i dont play, im fine, but when i start moving around for say, 30 minutes or so, especially on the hard court, they start burning...no existing blisters

fgs
03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
that is not unusual - from those points you usually push-off when you have to run for a wide ball, or change direction, so there is more rubbing at that point. you should look for some shoes that have good cushioning in that area and try it out with two pairs of socks. as i earlier said, i play with two pairs, admittedly not thick ones, but regular tennis socks. a good ventilated shoe will also ensure that there is sufficient heat dissipation in that area.
the shoes should also provide for a firm fit, because if your foot is slipping around in the shoe, besides being uncomfortable you also increase the risk for an injury. there is no best shoe to recommend, since our feet are rather different in terms of width, arch height etc., so the only way to find out is trying different makes with good cushioning in the forefoot area in a sportsshop.

TalkingTennis91
03-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I've never had a problem with blisters, because I wear two pairs of Nike crew socks everytime I play. It's wonderful. Give it a try. What have you got to lose except the pain of blisters? =]