PDA

View Full Version : Team with wide variety of players.

AR15
03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
My 3.0 men's team is struggling.

We have a wide assortment of players. Youngest is 20 years old. Two 65 year olds. Remainder are 40 years old plus or minus a few years.

Only a few of us have taken a private lesson or take lessons.

A few see our weekly matches as pure recreation. They want to win and play to win, but they do not attend practices, don't take lessons, and don't want to take the time or effort to improve their game.

Out of 15 people, we are lucky to have more than eight attend a practice. Half don't want to have the Club Pro conduct a clinic for us.

With this situation, I'm struggling (as captain this season) to come up with line ups to win a few courts at matches. Historically, the captains have paired some better players with weaker players on some courts. But, the other dilemma is pairing players that "care" together.

Some thoughts I'm considering: Put the two older guys together since they don't cover the court as well as the younger guys. Pair the best players together for courts one and two. Put our rookie "young guy" on court 3 with a veteran.

How do I get this team to improve their skills? How can they be motivated to attend practices, clinics, watch an instructional video, etc?

aidenous
03-13-2007, 03:16 PM
I have some of the same problems. This is our 3rd season and not much progress has been made. My problem is I have to take what I get or when we started it was players that no one else wanted or wouldn't let play.

The majority of the team is 3rd court players that don't seem to get any better but those are the guys that are always at practice and available and the best at getting along with.

The NTRP rating system isn't helping either. My players are tired of playing self raters who rate too low and those they don't get bumped up or those they do and appeal to come back down.

I'll be interested to see others comments. The fun of being a captain.

Good luck.

10sfreak
03-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I've faced the same problem, but in mixed-doubles, not regular adult league. Mostly, I'm constantly trying to scramble around these two REALLY weak girls on my team. What I've done so much of in the past is to pair myself with one of those girls (and not play the other one that week), 'cause I didn't want to do that to any of the guys on my team. Plus, I can cover the court really well. However, one of those girls, I absolutely will not play with again! Period. I mean, I'll forfeit a match before playing with her ever again in a real match. So, I've been pairing her up with all the other guys, but never twice in a row with the same guy (don't want the guy to hate me! LOL!).

raiden031
03-14-2007, 04:59 AM
What I've learned is that you can't build a winning team from scratch. You have to recruit solid players, or even borderline sandbaggers. Some people are just hopeless when it comes to improvement. They don't want to change their technique and they don't want to practice outside of match play. They are bound to remain at court #3 for a long time. So next time around, find out how good potential players are and whether they are motivated to improve before accepting them on your team. But there's not much you can do now with those players who aren't motivated.

Cindysphinx
03-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Yeah, that's a problem.

I think what I might do is mentally divide the players into The Serious Ones and the Not So Serious Ones. I'd schedule The Serious Ones in such a way that they win their team matches -- put them up against the teams you have a chance to beat. I'd sacrifice The Not So Serious Ones and have them play the unbeatable teams.

The Serious Ones will be happy because they might pull off the occasional win and won't be dragged down (oooh, that sounds harsh, huh?) by the Not So Serious Ones. The Not So Serious Ones will have fun either way.

And I'd go ahead and set up clinics/drills with the pro for the interested players, which will give you a good idea who is Serious.

10sfreak, what is the woman doing wrong that is driving you nuts so you won't play with her?

tennis-n-sc
03-14-2007, 06:53 AM
I think anytime you have a group of more than one, it is hard to get them all moving in the same direction, never mind the direction you want. Just based on the info you provided, I would line-up a clinic with the club pro for those that will committ to the clinic and do it on a weekly basis. Those that do not initially come will begin to see the benefit of the clinic through the performance of those in the clinic. I would base my teams on talent as opposed to age. On some teams the older players happen to be the best, on other teams the worst. And I also consider doubles team chemistry. It may be that the two best players have no chemistry together. That will weaken the entire team if left together. If you have two or four that think they are super, put them at # 1 and find out. I've never been a big proponent of sacraficing weaker players week in and week out just to try to get a team win. That's no fun for them and you probably won't get them back which may be what you want but you still have to replace them with maybe worse players. Think of the weaker players as a farm league to develop.

Ah...deep questions for a captain to ponder but that is why you get paid the big bucks. ;)