PDA

View Full Version : Newks tennis camp

Hewitt Aussie
03-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Any junior tennis players here going to newks tennis camp in new braunfels, texas? If so what week are you going?

ibringtheHEAT
03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
newks is overrated..

ATM has a new program for advanced juniors, i'm doing that this year.

have fun at newks tho, its usually a good time.

Hewitt Aussie
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
newks is overrated..

ATM has a new program for advanced juniors, i'm doing that this year.

have fun at newks tho, its usually a good time.

When i went to newks it was fun, but more tennis playing than fun. The first year, i went to King Daddy, that was soo fun, but not as much playing time. What is this camp you are going to called?

ibringtheHEAT
03-16-2007, 07:44 AM
it's at A&M University, in college station

<http://www.aggieathletics.com/nonsports/CAMP/tennis/>

Blake0
02-21-2009, 08:03 PM
:)i am march 13-15. Hopefully its a blast. my first time. :)
This is my first tennis camp and im hoping to play against or atleast see really good tennis players play in real life and have a fun time playing tennis.

Lindsay
02-21-2009, 08:22 PM
:)i am march 13-15. Hopefully its a blast. my first time. :)
This is my first tennis camp and im hoping to play against or atleast see really good tennis players play in real life and have a fun time playing tennis.

You'll have a blast. A word of advice from someone who spent many months there, don't EVER go with them on ice cream trips or anything similar. It is all a setup. ;-)

Roddickalltheway
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
I went to newks for their summer academy for three weeks last summer. Basically here is my view on it...
1. It is VERY hot down there. A couple of days down there it was so hot you couldn't even sit down on the courts.
2. It gets boring and repetitious. The structure of the day would be...either morning drills, which involved cross courts, down the lines, volleys, and overheads for about 2.5-3 hours. Then a lunch/free time break, and then followed by match play in the afternoon. It was the same way every single day. For me, doing that for 3 weeks got old, and I soon lost interest.
3. Despite what I said above, I did improve from it, mainly because I think I hit so many balls and played so much in 100+ degree heat that I got in tremendous shape.
4. I also thought the summer Academy lacked some talent too. I ended up hitting with the kids who trained in the year-round academy because there wasn't enough competition for me in the normal academy. Training with the year round kids was a little bit of a problem because they were always coming and going with nationals, etc.
5. However, I thought that off the court, it was a great time. The atmosphere is great down there, everyone is really friendly, and the summer academy director, Tom Catchings, is a real warrior. He was out coaching drills when he actually had kidney stones, no joke.

coloskier
02-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Newks used to be good, but now all their top ranked players are leaving like rats leaving a sinking ship. You get a lot of hitting, but not a lot of mental training and strength drills. Plus, with all their top ranked players leaving, you don't get the competition like you used to.