PDA

View Full Version : Saved By A Try-out

Cindysphinx
03-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Holy smokes, fellow captains! If you ever had any doubts about whether you should hit with someone before taking them onto your team, I think I can put them to rest.

I sometimes drop in on a particular drill class (both to drill and to find prospective players). At one class, I noticed this woman. Her playing style was similar to mine -- come to net. Good serve, good passing shots, good everything. I talked with her, and she is a computer-rated 3.0. I thought perhaps I had found a new teammate who could help us on Court One.

I scheduled a foursome with another prospect, this woman and one of my teammates.

It was the longest two hours of my life. Once the woman was in a competitive situation, she was about the rudest person I have ever met. She would walk away from you while you were talking to her. She wouldn't talk with anyone during changeovers. After the first set, she seemed unhappy that we rotated partners and didn't want to play with my teammate. She was hostile to my teammate who was having an off day, refusing to speak to her until my teammate hit some winners. She coached me relentlessly, even when I hit winners. When I asked where she was planning to go with her next serve, she said I needn't worry about that.

And she was unhappy that one player kept driving the ball at her at net, telling me she was going to settle it in the parking lot later. I beg your pardon?

My teammate, a kind and reasonable person, said that if this woman joined the team, she would flatly refuse to play with her. So we told her no, even though she would have been one of the top 3 players on our team.

That's it, then. I will never, ever take on a player without hitting with them first.

tennis-n-sc
03-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Sounds like the kind of partner I would want to have!!!;)

sue20852
03-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Sounds like the kind of partner I would want to have!!!;)

It looks like you were impressed with her competitive play, but... who needs the headache? A on-court meeting is a must for any candidate, then. Thanks for the warning, Cindy.

raiden031
03-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Was she aware that she was trying out for your team? Sounds like she definitely wasn't trying to impress anybody.

Cindysphinx
03-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Was she aware that she was trying out for your team? Sounds like she definitely wasn't trying to impress anybody.

Yes, she had to know. I have stopped using the T-word and have taking to calling them "foursomes" so as not to freak people out. But she knew I was looking for players for the team.

Some people are just plain difficult, I guess.

raiden031
03-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Yes, she had to know. I have stopped using the T-word and have taking to calling them "foursomes" so as not to freak people out. But she knew I was looking for players for the team.

Some people are just plain difficult, I guess.

If a couple of guys asked me to join them for a "foursome", I'd be even more freaked out than if they asked me to join them for a tryout! :p

tennis-n-sc
03-14-2007, 06:40 AM
It looks like you were impressed with her competitive play, but... who needs the headache? A on-court meeting is a must for any candidate, then. Thanks for the warning, Cindy.

Nah, I just thought she would take the lead in case riot broke out. Quite frankly, I don't think I have ever heard of a player threaten to settle the match in the parking lot. That's pretty funny.

raiden031
03-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Nah, I just thought she would take the lead in case riot broke out. Quite frankly, I don't think I have ever heard of a player threaten to settle the match in the parking lot. That's pretty funny.

At least she had the decency to take it outside.

atatu
03-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Let us know which parking lot to go to so we can get a seat...

10sfreak
03-14-2007, 07:00 AM
If a couple of guys asked me to join them for a "foursome", I'd be even more freaked out than if they asked me to join them for a tryout! :p
Hahahaha! Good one! ROFLMAO!

10sfreak
03-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Ha! Told y'all! These women can be a LOT worse than the men when it comes to stuff like that!
Cindy, I'm glad you were able to figure out you didn't want this "lady" on your team before you had her sign up. I've never had "try-outs" for my team before, I go on my "feel" for that person's personallity more than their playing ability.

Kaptain Karl
03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
... And she was unhappy that one player kept driving the ball at her at net, telling me she was going to settle it in the parking lot later. I beg your pardon?Yikes! I wouldn't even recommend a player like this to our arch rivals' team. Sheesh!

<Chick fight!!!>

- KK

Rabbit
03-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, there was a woman here locally who played 3.0 last year. Both of our daughters play on the high school soccer team. She was asking if I had ever appealed a ranking. I told her yes, I had appealed for a few years trying to move back from 5.0 to 4.5. Then she floored me....

She asked had I ever appealed to get moved up. I told her no, that it was pointless. She asked why and I replied that you can always play up, but never down. She said that her partner had gotten bumped to 3.5, but she didn't. Her recourse was to appeal to go up. I advised her to just play up because that would give her the flexibility to play 3.0 and 3.5 for at least a year.

She said that her husband had confirmed that she was better than 3.0 (the truth now comes out) and that she was, in fact, better than her ranking. Hmmmm....I mused. She then, and this comes to the point, said that all her old 3.0 team mates were mad at her and were saying that she just thought she was better than them. Then she added with a wry smile, "I guess I am better than them..."

I don't mean to sound sexist here, but women generally are meaner and more intense about the whole league experience than men, at least around here. I've heard of some really crappy treatment by teams. Most of the guys I know play on the same team because they're friends and like to drink beer together before/during/and after the match.

AR15
03-14-2007, 01:01 PM
My team doesn't have the luxury of not accepting any player that wants to join. We usually end up begging a few people to play so we can have a complete team.

goober
03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
. At one class, I noticed this woman. Her playing style was similar to mine -- come to net. Good serve, good passing shots, good everything.

Wow its amazing you both are still 3.0s with that kind of skills. :D

Cindysphinx
03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
For a 3.0, I mean. For a 3.0. It's just so rare to see a 3.0 who will come to net, or better yet force her way to net.

I . . . I miss her already. :(

goober
03-14-2007, 03:43 PM
For a 3.0, I mean. For a 3.0. It's just so rare to see a 3.0 who will come to net, or better yet force her way to net.

I . . . I miss her already. :(

Good tennis skills never makeup for a nasty personality in my book. I generally avoid such players no matter how good they are because I won't enjoy the game.

tennis_nerd22
03-14-2007, 05:22 PM

what if it was women? i wouldnt mind... :D:D

CrocodileRock
03-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I will never, ever take on a player without hitting with them first.

I think it's a great idea to hit with them first, but sometimes it doesn't work out. This year, I have accepted three guys onto my team that I have never hit with. Not only that, I have never seen them hit with any one else, nor have I even met them.

However, they all came highly recommended, so I think they will work out.
I have said that before though, and been burned :(

Ace
03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
When I asked where she was planning to go with her next serve, she said I needn't worry about that.

hahaha....never you mind, Ms. Cindy.....i'm planning on double faulting, so you don't need to worry about it.

BiGGieStuFF
03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
hahaha....never you mind, Ms. Cindy.....i'm planning on double faulting, so you don't need to worry about it.

Were you also one of the few people who were able to get an animated GIF in as your avatar before they disabled it?

Raiden.Kaminari
03-17-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't mean to sound sexist here, but women generally are meaner and more intense about the whole league experience than men, at least around here. I've heard of some really crappy treatment by teams. Most of the guys I know play on the same team because they're friends and like to drink beer together before/during/and after the match.

I've witnessed the same thing myself personally.

Raiden.Kaminari
03-17-2007, 01:10 PM
However, they all came highly recommended, so I think they will work out. I have said that before though, and been burned :(

The issue is whether they came recommended for their personality and ability to fit into a team, or because they were decent players. If the latter, watch out!