PDA

View Full Version : Tennis try outs...? help!

James Brown
09-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Tomorrow at my cegept (college in canada, but we get out of HS at grade 11, so i dont know how that works compared to the US hehe)
theres a tennis team try out. What should i expect ? My shoulder and elbow is sore as hell from playing a match yesterday and my racquet has a crack through it on top (not making too much of a difference but...yeah) so will i be able to do ok? im a 3.0 - 3.5 on a good day i can compete with 5.0s from the baseline cept my backhand is a bit weak with stupid 1 handedness.(my serve isnt ANWYHERE near as good, nor is my return) my serve isnt very good accuracy wise. i can crank it but i rarely put it in, my second serve has plenty of spin but not much pace. I really dont care if i play doubles,singles ,anything just to play some matches with different people. i usually play with a bunch of weak players or really strong players (5.0, 5.5, i get killed but it helps me get better).

so what should i expect? and do you think i can get on the team even if i play like, singles 8000 hehe.

thanks guys!

nyu
09-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Depends on how good the team is. Ice your shoulder and elbow tonight, then take a hot bath and relax. Stretch your shoulder out before you goto bed. That should help the soreness. Also, it's not possible to be a 3.5 and be able to compete from the baseline with a 5.0. There's a huge disparity in ability there. Just go out there and work really hard and do whatever the coach tells you to the best of your ability. That sounds corny, but basically i'm saying don't freak out and play a different game than your own, because then you really don't stand a chance. Expect alot of conditioning right off the bat, as the coach will probably try to weed out the weaker players right off the bat. Expect to maybe play a set in the first week so that the coach can see you in match play, and expect to drill a bit as the coach will want to see how you work.

I'm going through the same thing. I have try-outs in october. We'll see how it goes.Good luck to you and just enjoy yourself.

James Brown
09-08-2004, 07:28 PM
nyu, i dont know man, im good at taking the ball of the rise and dont have that much trouble from the baseline (sure i dont hit as many outright winners, but i dont get completely massacred).

thanks for the advice tho

jediknightdan
09-09-2004, 08:06 AM
good luck

lenosucks
09-11-2004, 07:25 PM
you're either underestimating your ability by saying you're a 3.5, or you're underestimating what a 5.0 truly is. I'd probably guess the that the most plausible answer is that you don't understand what a 5.0 is.

James Brown
09-12-2004, 12:04 AM
im pretty sure i know what a 5.0 is. its something like what the top division 1 college players are like. hard first serve, almost perfect accuracy when it comes to placing serves. has a good second serve, penetrating. good consistant groundstrokes, hit with pace,depth and near perfect aim. if youve seen some of the juniors like monfils play, something like that (although monfils serve is insane) but better consistancy. i might be underestimating myself, during the practice the coach asked me what my name was while we were serving. i think i might have made an impression (i was hitting serves harder than i ever have with a busted racquet at that lol, i guess pressure makes you play better).

lenosucks
09-15-2004, 07:38 PM
no, top division one players are closer to 6.0, and monfils is much higher than a 5.0. If you are really 3.5, a 5.0 would be able to completely massacre your shots, sending them into the corners where you can't reach them. Maybe if you make a deal and say they have to hit right down the middle, and play with their left hands, then maybe you could handle them.

nyu
09-15-2004, 07:54 PM
OK. A 5.0 would be an extremely low level D1 player(a #6 on his best day). Monfils is the #1 junior in the world, and could probably hang with/beat most players between 100-300 in the world, which means he is closer to 7.0 When you get to the top levels of the game, they pretty much stop counting it.

James Brown
09-16-2004, 09:19 AM
yeah but monfils groundstrokes suck :> i watched him play, cant say i was impressed. i think i underrated myself maybe, i made the team, we had to do serve and volley practice, i was just blasting my serves at the receiver and he coudlnt handle em on clay. i got lucky, cuz usually my serve breaks down, my arm hurt so much afterwards tho, eesh.

thanks for the advice and sorry for stirring up this whole crap. just pointing out monfils doesnt impress me (cept his serve, GIGANTIC)

nyu
09-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Congratulations JB. Most of the time people on these boards make themselves seem hella better than they actually are. Good luck with your season and keep us updated.

jediknightdan
09-17-2004, 12:19 PM