PDA

View Full Version : I hate whiners!

jagsv650
03-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Last night I had a make up match for my 3.5 team. After my partner and I won 6-2, 6-3 the other team started making comments about us sandbagging and how "proud we must be to beat up on 3.5 players." When I got home I looked up on tennis link and saw one of the two guys we beat is a 3.0 player (a weak one at that) and the other player is right at .500 for his matches this year. Our team is undefeated (6-0) so far this season but we have two teams on our butts that are only one loss behind us. Their team on the other hand is 1-5. My point here is that maybe they're in the wrong league not us. I consider myself a strong 3.5. The reason I consider this is that I win most of my 3.5 matches but have not won a 4.0 match yet (I'm on a 4.0 team too). I have never gotten killed in the 4.0 league then whined to my competitors that they are 4.5 players sand bagging. If anything when I get killed at 4.0 I apologize that I couldn't give them a better match then I practice harder to get to their level.

blakesq
03-15-2007, 08:49 AM
I hate whiners too. I was playing in an outdoor league here in Connecticut, and one of the opponents in a double match started complaining loudly that I couldn't be a 3.5 player, that it wasn't fun (becuase I hit the ball at him at net too hard). I finally got sick of his complaining and suggested that maybe next time he should play on the women's 3.5 team instead of the men's 3.5.

I also wish I had remembered what Ivan Lendl reportedly said after he drilled a ball into someone playing at net: "I never invited him to come to net"

Blakesq

Cindysphinx
03-15-2007, 09:55 AM
My previous captain was a whiner. Our 3.0 team got crushed 0-12. We consisted of 2.5 players and weak 3.0 players. We had only one player who had any hope on court one.

In the viewing area, he would go on and on about how the other teams (that mostly consisted of computer-rated players, mind) didn't belong at 3.0 and should play 3.5 and blah, blah, blah. Right in front of the other captain, sometimes getting into arguments about it.

It was embarrassing to watch. Rather than whine, the answer was to get serious about improving so we could compete at 3.0.

kylebarendrick
03-15-2007, 10:13 AM
It is very common for someone who loses an NTRP match to believe that their opponent is playing at too low a level. Face it - that feels better than admitting you're not as good as you think you are!

jagsv650
03-15-2007, 10:39 AM
It was embarrassing to watch. Rather than whine, the answer was to get serious about improving so we could compete at 3.0.

That's what my captain basically told them. We practice at least once a week as a team and we all play individual ladder matches outside of the team. Half of us get private lessons and on top of that the team has a pro come and do clinics for us. After he told them that they grumbled under their breath some more and left. The whole situation was a joke and I can't wait until we play them again so I can really clean up with them.

tennismike33
03-15-2007, 11:21 AM
I played a person in a tournament where I lost the set 7-6, and becasue of scheduling issues, I had several other matches to play that day, this was a 4.0 tournament, and my other matches were age group matches, which I valued more.

Needless to say I played the young man several months later, and smoked him 6-2/6-3. He muttered that I should be rated much higher and that I was sandbagging to win a trophy, my comment back to him was he wasn't complaining when I defaulted to him a few months earlier. I also explained that I was conserving energy the last time we played becasue of the other scheduled matches.

PLAY, DON'T COMPLAIN!!!!!

bluetrain4
03-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Is this what I have to look forward to? I am a marginal, self-rated 4.5 player (I'd probably lose to a lot of other 4.5s, but would have some wins). I won my indoor 4.0 league fairly comfortably this fall/winter, but had some close matches (so maybe I'm just a very good 4.0)

I live in an area where there aren't enough good players or players who like to compete to have USTA leagues at every .5 level.

I've been invited to be on my city's 4.0 summer team league and am looking forward to it. Is this the kind of crap that will go on it I consistently win?

jagsv650
03-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Is this what I have to look forward to?

Not from everyone. Most people are okay losers but you will get some jerks that take some of the fun from winning.

tennismike33
03-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Is this what I have to look forward to? I am a marginal, self-rated 4.5 player (I'd probably lose to a lot of other 4.5s, but would have some wins). I won my indoor 4.0 league fairly comfortably this fall/winter, but had some close matches (so maybe I'm just a very good 4.0)

I live in an area where there aren't enough good players or players who like to compete to have USTA leagues at every .5 level.

I've been invited to be on my city's 4.0 summer team league and am looking forward to it. Is this the kind of crap that will go on it I consistently win?

yup!!!!! YOU WILL GET IT FROM THE BAD LOSERS

bluetrain4
03-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah, where I live, the levels jump 1.0. So individual and team leagues that are 3.5 include 3.0s and 3.5s. The 4.0 league includes 4.0s and 4.5s. I don't even think we have a 5.0-5.5 league.

BTW, I live in central Illinois, where the teams are all from cities of 85,000 to 120,000: Springfield, Decatur, Champaign, Bloomington-Normal, Peoria. Not exactly a tennis hotbed. So, that's why we don't have more leagues like larger metro areas or tennis hotbeds like SoCal, Florida, etc.

beernutz
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, where I live, the levels jump 1.0. So individual and team leagues that are 3.5 include 3.0s and 3.5s. The 4.0 league includes 4.0s and 4.5s. I don't even think we have a 5.0-5.5 league.

BTW, I live in central Illinois, where the teams are all from cities of 85,000 to 120,000: Springfield, Decatur, Champaign, Bloomington-Normal, Peoria. Not exactly a tennis hotbed. So, that's why we don't have more leagues like larger metro areas or tennis hotbeds like SoCal, Florida, etc.

Maybe you should speak to someone about calling the league a 4.5 rather than a 4.0 league?

I guess I'm not sure why your city would have a 4.0 league and then let 4.5 players play in it, as opposed to having a 4.5 league and allowing/encouraging 4.0 players to play in that. You said the 3.5 league includes 3.0s and 3.5s, so it would seem to make sense that the next higher league would be a 4.5 that includes both 4.0s and 4.5s.

If the league was officially called a 4.5 league, it would probably mitigate some of the whining from any 4.0s you played since if you are in a 4.0 playing in a 4.5 league you would expect to play against some 4.5s on ocassion.

bluetrain4
03-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Maybe you should speak to someone about calling the league a 4.5 rather than a 4.0 league?

I guess I'm not sure why your city would have a 4.0 league and then let 4.5 players play in it, as opposed to having a 4.5 league and allowing/encouraging 4.0 players to play in that. You said the 3.5 league includes 3.0s and 3.5s, so it would seem to make sense that the next higher league would be a 4.5 that includes both 4.0s and 4.5s.

If the league was officially called a 4.5 league, it would probably mitigate some of the whining from any 4.0s you played since if you are in a 4.0 playing in a 4.5 league you would expect to play against some 4.5s on ocassion.

The problem it that it is fairly informal. 4.5s are not officially included in the 4.0 league, it's just that without a 4.5 league, some of the marginal 4.5 players end up playing in the 4.0 league. These are not the top 4.5s who are going to beat every 4.0 6-2, 6-2. I've never played in a team league before, and I only call myself a 4.5 based on self rating. Like I said, when I won my 4.0 league, I didn't kill everyone, so maybe I'm just a good 4.0, I don't know.

But you're right. If there are even a few 4.5s, we could just call it a 4.5 league and be done with it, knowing that the actual average level is closer to 4.0 than 4.5.

Finally, it's just tradition. There have always been 3.5 and 4.0 leagues here. That .5 difference represents the difference between more recreational players and players who played in high school, maybe club tennis in college, or even low level college, but who are older and slower. The numbers have no concrete meaning, which would probably frustrate a lot of you guys from areas with very strict USTA rating definitions.

But, around here, we're just trying to get a enough people to play so everyone, except for the truly better 5.0 and above players (of which there are few) are funnelled into 3.5 or 4.0.

goober
03-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah they are all over the place. We had a player move here from Michigan. I guess he was use to winning tournaments. He lost in the first round of a 4.0 tourney. He goes to the TD and in front of a lot players accuses his opponent of sandbagging. The TD looks up his computer rating and says he is 4.0 not 4.5 and he lost in the first round of his two previous tourneys. He has only been here a couple months and he already has a rep as whining, hooking and arguing points constantly. He makes playing tennis incredibly unpleasant.