PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Private lessons becoming boring!

Marc C.
09-08-2004, 03:55 PM
I have been teaching a 9 year old boy who has recently started playing tennis (not one of these nine year old playing in the 14 and under tournaments). We have had about 5 or 6 lessons together and we seem to be doing the same thing each time: warm up with groundstrokes, then do some vollies/overheads and practice serving. While i can see his improvment, he seems to be enjoying the lessons less and less. There aren't many games that one can play with a nine year old in a private lesson. Any suggestions to change things up and make it more fun. Thank you for you help!

Smashlob
09-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Play some games that will help him improve, set up some targets for him, and if he hits a certain number, you'll buy him a soda or some other small thing. This provides encouragement for the boy and he is more motivated to hit good shots.

gmlasam
09-08-2004, 04:45 PM
I have been teaching a 9 year old boy who has recently started playing tennis (not one of these nine year old playing in the 14 and under tournaments). We have had about 5 or 6 lessons together and we seem to be doing the same thing each time: warm up with groundstrokes, then do some vollies/overheads and practice serving. While i can see his improvment, he seems to be enjoying the lessons less and less. There aren't many games that one can play with a nine year old in a private lesson. Any suggestions to change things up and make it more fun. Thank you for you help!

Wouldn't you be bored as well if the lesson is always the same, same routine? From what you described, your lesson is like reading the same chapter in a history book each time you go to class. I would ditch that class if that were the case ;) You have to keep it interesting to your student. Perhaps, you should break down the lesson into parts, in different lesson meetings. For example, one lesson do all forehands. The next lesson meeting do backhands, and so on instead of teaching everything in one lesson. Let him get the feel and practice the stroke before moving to a different stroke. Concentrate on one mechanic first, and move to another. You learn to walk before you can learn to run. Importantly, keep the lesson fun, kids enjoy playing games/sports because its fun. Once you take the fun away, then you've ruined their interest for that sport.

Exxion
09-08-2004, 08:44 PM
You could ask what he wants to do (forehand, backhand, volley, etc). If hes practicing what he wants he'll be more interested, I think it will help shape his playing style too

Skinny Dip
09-09-2004, 04:12 AM
I have 9 year old boys (twins), and they were even bored by clinics until they found one with lots of different games (jail break, etc) that also managed to impart some decent technique to them.

Unless the boy is highly motivated to excel in tennis (which mine aren't) a good clinic really geared to his age group might be the only option to keep his interest longer term.