PDA

View Full Version : Agassi

PhatAbbott
03-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Hes the most consistant solid baseliner around. He can play well on all surfaces and hes highly respected.

His technique is rarely used with many modern players. Is it considered old hat or is there better ways of doing it now?

Verbal_Kint
03-12-2004, 04:37 AM
What technique of Agassi's is not used now?

Marnix

PhatAbbott
03-12-2004, 05:02 AM
I mean the more classic over the shoulder with shorter swings and taking the ball early.

vin
03-12-2004, 06:58 AM
There's a new article on tennisone.com about the followthrough that most pros use (finishing around the side of the body instead of over the shoulder) and how it helps control depth.

Vin

Mahboob Khan
03-12-2004, 07:35 AM
I think Agassi has a modern FH and BH. He has a loop on his forehand side and straight-back backswing on his 2-handed BH. He also has the ability to add a small loop even on his BH side if the situation so warrants.

For a mild semi-western grip, his forehand is a modern forehand. On a deep ball his follow-through is over his left shoulder and on the mid-court higher-easier balls when his intention is to hit a winner, his follow through is below the level of his left shoulder. Follow-through is an indicator of everything which went before it. If you are lifting (topspin) the ball more, the follow-through will be on your left shoulder; if you are pressing the ball more, the follow-through will be below the level of your opposite shoulder!

His ageing does not mean that his technique has gone old!

@wright
03-12-2004, 07:45 AM
THe short takeback and taking the ball early are modern techniques. That's why he is such a highly touted returner.

Bungalo Bill
03-12-2004, 12:51 PM
I think Agassi has a modern FH and BH. He has a loop on his forehand side and straight-back backswing on his 2-handed BH. He also has the ability to add a small loop even on his BH side if the situation so warrants.

For a mild semi-western grip, his forehand is a modern forehand. On a deep ball his follow-through is over his left shoulder and on the mid-court higher-easier balls when his intention is to hit a winner, his follow through is below the level of his left shoulder. Follow-through is an indicator of everything which went before it. If you are lifting (topspin) the ball more, the follow-through will be on your left shoulder; if you are pressing the ball more, the follow-through will be below the level of your opposite shoulder!

His ageing does not mean that his technique has gone old!

I choose all of the above! Couldnt agree with Mahboob more even if you paid me! The followthrough which is the easiest thing for the eye to see is deceiving. What? Huh? Agassi old School? No way jose. Even if he was, if you immulated his strokes and were able to reasonably duplicate his consistency - YOU WOULD BE ON TOUR!

Pros strokes outside of style and grips are not very different if you truly study them. There are countless photos and film showing level racquets at impact, fixed wrists, bending the knees, they are just performed much faster and with better equipment.

If I could even resemble the consistency and pace Agassi gets I would be one happy puppy.