PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had an epic rain match?

guynamedsean
03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Have you ever played a really competitive tennis match against a friend in the rain? I mean a soaking wet court with puddles, and rain coming down on you, and the ball being waterlogged and heavy, and the ball skidding, sometimes hitting puddles etc.

darkblue
03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Have you ever played a really competitive tennis match against a friend in the rain? I mean a soaking wet court with puddles, and rain coming down on you, and the ball being waterlogged and heavy, and the ball skidding, sometimes hitting puddles etc.

yep - actually an NTRP tournament match on clay. the tournament director refused to move us to an indoor venue until we were swimming in mud in 40F weather.

....and why did you want to know about these things anyway?

guynamedsean
03-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Because playing in the rain can be really fun. I am talking about hardcourts though.

darkblue
03-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Because playing in the rain can be really fun. I am talking about hardcourts though.

ah... i c.
i hate playing in rain since it destroys my strings!!

Safina
03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
i played a fun match in the rain last year....

made me feel like a little kid... just getting totally drenched
and having a blast.
it was the perfect amount of rain where if you tried real hard
you could keep some balls fairly dry and just rotate them.

i have had so many "real" matches rained out that I usually
get angry at the rain... so this was a nice moment to just
enjoy it. ( i have anger issues! if you see someone with racquets in
their hand yelling in a rainstorm... just ignore me!)

i almost played again when it looked like it was going to rain
but thought against it... just stayed in the car.
5 minutes later.... crazy rains that flooded the courts and caused
flash flooding. now that would have been an interesting hit!
the rain was pounding on the car so hard I could barely hear anyone talk.

Mother Nature... she's crazy!

DRtenniS1112
03-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I remember doing that once, it was a blast, we didn't play for long, broke a few sets of string, had to play slow for fear of ankle rolling, but all in all, it was an absolute blast. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

JZImmer123
03-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I never had an epic rain match, but I did hit with a friend for aboot an hour in monsoon-like rain. Okay, maybe not monsoon like, but it was raining cats and dogs. We had been hitting for half an hour already and we were really in the zone! Then the rain came down, but we didn't wanna quit cause we were hitting so good. So we kept going. It was funny cause a few of the balls we played with got soo fuzzy they looked like the sun! Fun times. The only thing that sucked was the ride home.

guynamedsean
03-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I played my friend in the pouring rain the other day. We had a blast. Today we were at the courts and i heard someone say, "There is the 2 guys I saw playing in the rain!"

I always beat this guy, but he won in the rain. Now he calls himself the rain champion and rainman.