PDA

View Full Version : Pro Backhand grips

VictorS.
09-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Like many recreational players, I struggle mightily at times with my backhand. I am a solid 4.5 player at the moment. My serve and forehand are probably 5.0 quality, however my backhand is 3.5 quality. I am constantly changing my backhand grip trying to find something that works. I've talked to numerous professional instructors concerning the basics and fundamentals. In practice, my backhand is at least solid however under pressure it often fails me.

My question is, do any of you know the types of grips guys like Agassi and Safin use? Does anyone have slo-mo short vids of their backhands?? anyone with advice or help...please feel free to share your thoughts. thank you

thehustler
09-08-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm assuming you're using a 1hbh? It just sounds like a mental thing to me. I have a friend who's the world's greatest practice player, but on the court his nerves come up and everything that was once and good is gone. Personally I use a 2hbh. I'll use the 1hbh for slice, volley or drop shot, but I find that I feel more confident with the 2hbh. I can get more power on it and I personally feel I can get better angles with it. I'm personally a 4.0 player, but my 2hbh is probably a 4.5. I just use whatever the normal 2hbh grip is and that works for me. HTH.

Rickson
09-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Sounds to me like he uses a 2hbh from using Agassi and Safin as models. I personally go eastern fh on both sides of a 2hbh to get a square face on contact, but I use a 1hbh more often than the 2hbh, and I take an eastern bh grip on that. 2hbh, use more of an open stance and take a grip that is not closed on contact. 1hbh, closed stance and anywhere from a continental to a western backhand grip because an eastern fh grip will cause pop ups for most people.

skuludo
09-09-2004, 07:53 AM
I believe Agassi uses a Continental and a Eastern Forehand grip. Not sure about Safin. I use to use that grip, but I wasn't hitting the ball in a clean manner. The mis-hits were really unforgiving and the racket would twist in my hands when I played heavy topspinners. That racket twist would cause the racket to open up and would cause the balls to sail long due to lack of topspin. Also I couldn't reverse the topspin even after brushing up on the ball. Not wanting to perfect my contact I decided to go for a quick fix and that was use continental right hand and left hand semi-western. This grip combination turn out to be very stable and I could hit it in all sorts of contorted body posistion. Heck I can even launch myself and hit the backhand like Roddick's forehand. Now I can easily reverse heavy topspin balls with my own topspin. In conclusion, the grip combination continental right hand and left hand semi-western turned out to be very stable and allowed me to slug away at the ball.

VictorS.
09-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback. I'm watching the capriati-dementieva match right now, and I'm wondering what type of backhand grip does dementieva have?? It seems like she has almost a western forehand grip with her right hand on the bh. It's definitely a punishing shot. how many pros have this type of grip??

Dementieva's backhand: http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51284890.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=77 1BD3E8B814D5CD702857EAE1231A41A9C30E9B9B114CE8

jediknightdan
09-17-2004, 12:23 PM