PDA

View Full Version : 1

jediknightdan
09-09-2004, 09:03 AM
ww

Yonexrocks
09-09-2004, 09:28 AM
call his lines really close to get back your points then get an officail...getting even is the thing u should do, show him that u can call them close to. DON"T LET HIM GET IN YOUR HEAD

chad shaver
09-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Uh, ask the coach ahead of time to watch the match, and tell him/her why. Hooking back like that only causes more hooking, and it will snowball into a mell of a hess.

NoBadMojo
09-09-2004, 10:21 AM
i would have a discussion with him right before the match if you are sure he is hooking on baseline calls. hooking on baseline calls is pretty common and some coaches even encorage it which i find pretty pathetic. anywho i would aproach him when you walk on court and tell him privately that you are aware he makes bad calls and that you arent going to tolerate bad calls, and if he makes bad calls you are going to do something about it. if he is a chronic hooker he is aware of it. that often does the trick and sometimes can even work to your advantage. let us know how it works out for you. good luck. ed

tennisboy87
09-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Uh, ask the coach ahead of time to watch the match, and tell him/her why. Hooking back like that only causes more hooking, and it will snowball into a mell of a hess.

Don't you mean hell of a mess. LOL :D

jediknightdan
09-10-2004, 08:03 AM
well i plaed him agan and he still calls thim out. before we sttarted i told him i know that he calls the base line balls out and not to hook any more but he still did and i lost agan

NoBadMojo
09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
tell the coach what you told him and that he still hooked you if you are sure he did. tell your coach it wasnt fair and that you want to play this person again but to have the baseline called and that you dont think cheaters should be on the team.how many times in the match do you think this happened?

big ted
09-10-2004, 04:40 PM
hey you spelled cheater wrong and i know it wasnt a typo because you spelled it wrong and the same way in the title and in your message post

Brian Purdie
09-10-2004, 04:51 PM
just wait until you play a match against another school and he ends up on the court with someone who won't put up with his tactics. You may not have stopped him, but the opposing coach of your first matchup sure will.

Not to offend you, do you speak English very well, or is this a second language. I think you may have a problem communicating with your coach, and, sadly enough, he may be discriminating against you for that.

David Pavlich
09-10-2004, 06:40 PM
There was a kid that was so bad and had such a terrible reputation during my son's stint in the tournament fun that when my son saw he ended up plying him, he played one point, put his racquet down at the baseline, and got an official.

The "hooker" wasn't happy, but knew he was busted...and #1 son won the match.

David

callitout
09-13-2004, 12:37 PM
A friend's son plays D1 tennis and said he learned early on that cheating is part of junior tennis...Dont expect your really close ones on the edge of the line to be called in and do the same for him. If your really getting hooked, lots of guys will just retaliate by calling a clearly in ball out. That may lead to an argument or calling for an umpire if that's an option, but usually tit for tat is a good response to clear cut cheating.

chad shaver
09-13-2004, 12:41 PM

Don't you mean hell of a mess. LOL :D

Mell of a hess is a nice way to put it. Maybe the intentional Freudian "slip" is a strictly Southern phenomenon.

Pahansuopa
09-14-2004, 05:18 AM
"A friend's son plays D1 tennis and said he learned early on that cheating is part of junior tennis...Dont expect your really close ones on the edge of the line to be called in and do the same for him. If your really getting hooked, lots of guys will just retaliate by calling a clearly in ball out. That may lead to an argument or calling for an umpire if that's an option, but usually tit for tat is a good response to clear cut cheating."

I my opinion tit for tat is not the the way to cope with cheaters. Tit for that just encourages cheating and you are quickly in mell of hess as someone pointed out. In a competition there is always someone who you can ask to come and judge the match. If i happen to play with cheater i give the benefit of the doubt once even if he is clearly cheating and tell the cheater that i wont tolerate that kind of behavior and if the cheater tries to pull another hook i ask someone from the organizers to come and judge the game.

K!ck5w3rvE
09-16-2004, 11:56 PM
TELL HIM THAT THE CLUB PRO HAS JUST INSTALLED CYCLOPS AND HE IS GOING TO TEST IT IN YOUR MATCH.

Jayzzz
09-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Cheddar is better

Baseline Basher
09-17-2004, 09:35 PM
K!cK5w3rvE, NO YELLING!

The right thing to do is get a line judge. If you retaliate by calling good balls out, you are as sorry a player as he is, if not worse.

BTW, whoever came up with mell of a hess, you get a cookie for creativity.

Kaptain Karl
09-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Here’s how (I tell the HS team I help coach) to play a cheater. Please note, you have to have some decent acting skills to pull it off....
Early in the match ... when he hits a winner close to your own baseline, call it “Out.” Then -- “just” before the next point begins -- call him up to the net and put on a good show of your “conscience” bugging you. Tell him, “I’m not really sure about that call, and I was always taught that when you’re not sure you must call it good. So, ‘Good shot.' Your point.” ... And walk back to start the next point without any further discussion.

If he has any vestige of decency in his gut, his own conscience will be *****ed. He’ll call his baseline more accurately.

(Of course, if you are certain he’s still cheating, as the others here have said ... request an official. Do not “take it” from cheaters.)

[I had a guy in my college days who all the other schools referred to as “Harold the Hooker.” I knew of his reputation from guys I respected from other schools’ teams. The first time we played him, there he was at #2 Singles. I shook his hand at the introduction and turned to my coach and requested a Referee. (His coach said I was the first player to use *that* approach.) It rattled Harold so badly, I won very easily.]

- KK

coach
09-24-2004, 01:56 PM
I coach HS tennis and everyone thinks they get hooked on any close ball. Know what? SOME (or many) of those balls may actually be OUT! it sounds like you may be using this as an excuse for losing. Is it possible that you may still have lost even if all these "questionable balls" were in?

There have been some good suggestions printed already but realize too that calling the far end baseline from your baseline is not an easy thing to do. If this guy is deliberating "hooking" you in will come back to him in karma (look it up - says your English teacher).

perfmode
09-25-2004, 06:55 AM
Jedi reminds me of Tom Hanks in "the Terminal"

Guy: Why did she leave him?
Tom: He ****.
Guy: What?
Tom: He chit. She say he chit.
Guy: U mean he cheats?
Tom: Yes, he ****. Two womans, one man... Crowded.