PDA

View Full Version : Finally Won My First League Match!

lordmanji
03-18-2007, 01:12 PM
okay so i started this mixed doubles season pretty badly, going 0-4. some of this had to do with my 2.5 women partners, some of it had to do with me (i was double faulting quite a bit.) well yesterday was my last match of the season and i was starting to think i would not even win one official match this season and going back to my high school days. to make matters worse, i had a very crappy warmup (again, meaning i wasnt breaking a sweat) and we dropped the first set 2-6. but...we won in a supertie break, 2-6, 6-3, 10-4!

it was a full day ago but im still very happy about it and fulfilled. after the dismal first set, i just really concentrated and was finally warmed up. my first and second kick serves were going in with quite a bit of pace thanks to my working on my toss the day before. each time it did, it was an easy point for me. i took my backhand side cuz since i didnt warm up my forehand was off and on and it was very consistent. then my forehand started getting consistent. and i poached every now and then scoring many easy points. also, my 40year old overweight partner didnt double fault once and was very consistent getting 4-5 balls back each rally. she also got to many short balls that my previous partners could not get to despite her weight.

okay so my opponents was a 50some year old and a 40some year old but these were exactly the same type of guys beating me in my four previous matches. also, it was sweeter since the match was against the same team that i lost a supertiebreak to a few wks ago.

i have alot of confidence now going into the 3.0 singles season and have learned alot this season:

warm up til you break a sweat
if somethings not working change something
execute full swing even if your opponents hit it slow
stay positive and talk to your partner

thanks for listening to my "bragging!"

zapvor
03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
haha thats great to hear. congrats. didnt you also post a thread about teaching your friends?

vllockhart
03-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I love to brag! Let me hit one great shot in a match and everyone hears about it til the next great shot.

Congrats on the win. It's always sweet.

A.Davidson
03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Good for you! Getting a win, especially the first or one to end a drought, is always satisfying! Also, way to stick with it after losing that first set 2-6. If I were 0-4 and had just dropped the first set of my last match 2-6, I may have given up. Good drive, good luck, and stick with it!

Cindysphinx
03-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Good going!

Add to your list: Be Aggressive; Weenies Need Not Apply :)

cak
03-21-2007, 04:29 PM
also, my 40year old overweight partner didnt double fault once and was very consistent getting 4-5 balls back each rally. she also got to many short balls that my previous partners could not get to despite her weight.

Geez you sweet talker. I bet all the ladies are lining up to play with you.

beernutz
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Geez you sweet talker. I bet all the ladies are lining up to play with you.

LOL. I'm sure Mr. 0-4 was quite a hot commodity among the women on his team.

lordmanji
03-21-2007, 10:20 PM
LOL. I'm sure Mr. 0-4 was quite a hot commodity among the women on his team.

ahha na im old enough to be their kid. but i do notice some of the older men with wives on the team get jealous or shoot me sidelong glances when i talk with their wives. :-D

Svenskpor
03-22-2007, 07:05 AM
It sounds like you are a somewhat competitive younger guy... 2.5 mixed doubles sounds like a terrible venue for you to be playing in. You are just going to wind up getting angry at your "40 year old overweight" partners, to add with being afraid to take full hacks at the lady across the net, which will make you mess up. I sometimes play some friendly doubles with my girlfriend who despite being young and svelte isn't too good, I would not want to enter a competitive league with her and add that tension. 3.0 singles sounds like a much much better place for you to be even if you may take some beatings.