PDA

View Full Version : Rod Laver v/s Bjorn Borg (VIDEO)

peluzon
03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Dallas World Championship Tennis 1977

Rod Laver v/s Bjorn Borg

click on picture (special thanks to www.espantala.net the best latin forum video in the web)

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7926/laverborgee3.jpg (http://rapidshare.com/files/21674327/Rod_Laver_vs_Bjorn_Borg.wmv.html)

35ft6
03-18-2007, 11:41 PM
That site sucks. HOw do you download it?

urban
03-19-2007, 07:18 AM
I think, one can freeload it, on free button. Thanks for the nice clips. I think it was played at Hilton Head on green clay in 1977, when Laver was 39 years old. Both are not serving bombs with the wood, maybe we see many second serves in the highlights. But the overall standard is quite impressive. Borg shows some of his great double handed backhand passes cross court. But look at that Laver forehand inside out dropshot from the baseline, quite high over the net, but absolutely masked and wicked by the work of the big wrist, leaving that fastest of all players flatfooted at the baseline. Or that flick backhand cross pass, dipping just over the net. Would have made Federer proud. No wonder, that Mac tried to model his game after Laver.

Rosebud
03-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Nice to see clips like these on the internet!

Took me a while before I noticed how to be able to view it.
35ft6, on the opening page after clicking on the image, scroll down to "Select your download:", click on "Free". The next page opens where the text "Download ticket reserved. In . . . minutes your download will be ready."
will appear. After the countdown is finished you'll be asked to enter a code in a box. Then you can download the file. Works good.

noeledmonds
03-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks a lot for this clip.

A relativly high quality series of points, particuarly given the age of Laver. Borg looked solid as ever from what little we see of his shots. Can anyone tell me the final score of the match?

jamauss
03-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Awesome clip. First time I've ever got to see a clip of Laver playing. That was an awesome backhand passing shot.

Moose Malloy
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Can anyone tell me the final score of the match?

it was from the Hilton Head WITC invitational, not an atp event, a 4 man field. Borg won 63,75.

I'm more interested in seeing their match at the Dallas WCT event in '75, it was a 5 set win for Borg on indoor carpet.

An interesting stat on Laver, he beat Borg on clay a month before Borg won his 1st French Open! The guy was an amazing all surface player, I get a bit sick of the "he only played slams on 2 surfaces" nonsense that gets so much play here. Its not like great grasscourt players today have much trouble with hardcourts or something. Laver won a ton of hardcourt events anyway.

onehandbh
03-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Awesome clip. First time I've ever got to see a clip of Laver playing. That was an awesome backhand passing shot.

yeah, that crosscourt backhand was pretty sick. great angle and whip
from a wood racquet. Some nice volleys as well from laver.

35ft6
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Nice to see clips like these on the internet!

Took me a while before I noticed how to be able to view it.
35ft6, on the opening page after clicking on the image, scroll down to "Select your download:", click on "Free". The next page opens where the text "Download ticket reserved. In . . . minutes your download will be ready."
will appear. After the countdown is finished you'll be asked to enter a code in a box. Then you can download the file. Works good. Okay, it's working now. The first time it didn't for some reason and I did exactly the same thing EXCEPT I changed who I would download from based on the percentage of bandwidth he had going already. Sweet.

noeledmonds
03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
it was from the Hilton Head WITC invitational, not an atp event, a 4 man field. Borg won 63,75.

I'm more interested in seeing their match at the Dallas WCT event in '75, it was a 5 set win for Borg on indoor carpet.

An interesting stat on Laver, he beat Borg on clay a month before Borg won his 1st French Open! The guy was an amazing all surface player, I get a bit sick of the "he only played slams on 2 surfaces" nonsense that gets so much play here. Its not like great grasscourt players today have much trouble with hardcourts or something. Laver won a ton of hardcourt events anyway.

Thanks for the score line. I agree with what your are saying about Laver being an all surface player. Most people seem to think that because the slams were on grass that there were no big hard court events. This is not true, in Laver's open-era slam year he won several large hard court and large indoor events too. The other thing is that as grass was more common there were more grass court specilists around. Of course there are not many players are specilists on grass today as the grass court season is so short, not so in Laver's day.

However I would treat Laver's victory over Borg before the FO with caution. This was in Houston in the USA. Borg was very different in the USA with the noisy crowds and night sessions. I belive they also played with much faster balls than at Rolland Garros. Roddick holds 3 Houston titles and never makes any real progress on the european clay (I know that this is not the same Houston tournament as it was in Laver's day but I assume playing conditions were similar).