PDA

View Full Version : Returning serve with Forehand on Ad-court.

twocents
09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I have a tough time hitting inside out from the ad-court when returning serve. Do you hit with an open stance when served down the middle or cross-over? Crosscourt returns of the Deuce side aren't a problem. I can hit down the line off the ad-side but I find it hard to hit the inside-out Forehand. Do you set up any differently from the ad court?
thanks

Rickson
09-09-2004, 11:39 AM
I already know you're a righty. I blade my body with my left foot in front of me and the inside out becomes easy. Think of it like an open stance forehand that flies to the right.

ucd_ace
09-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Move your feet and get into position where you can step into it properly and then you take the inside-out element out of the equasion. If you're going to do that you need to remember the fundamentals, step into the ball and aim your shoulders at where you want the ball to go.

The higher the level of play you move up the harder that'll be. Maybe you should try describing how you try to hit and what results you get and then we can help you out from there.

vin
09-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Assuming you are trying this on weak serves, you can try standing with your left foot in the doubles alley to give you a head start in stepping around your backhand.

If you're trying to hit inside out on a serve down the T (which is not really inside out), this is tougher because of the way you're changing the direction of the ball. In this case you may want to try hitting back down the middle or changing directions to the other side of the court (to your left) which would allow your body to rotate more naturally.

If you have trouble with this shot, maybe you should return the ad court inside serves with your backhand.

JohnThomas1
09-09-2004, 10:58 PM
I would be looking at contact point and seeing if i was turning my shoulders correctly. Tho time is reduced on returns you still have to have a good unti turn, especially with the inside out shots. Bill told me to go at the ball with my body weight on the backhand inside out return, maybe it applies to the forehand as well.

twocents
09-10-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks everyone for replying.
Rickson:
I used to do that in college. I'll try that technique again. The only problem then is crossing back to hit my two-handed backhand which is my better shot.
ucd_ace:
Most of my balls go long or wide. I end up hitting hard serves off my back foot.
I hit with an open stance with a lot of topspin. My two-hander of the ad-court is almost automatic. I play mostly doubles USTA 4.0 and 4.5. I'm trying now to setup with a semi-western/western forehand grip. Slow serves I don't have a problem with off the forehand. I let it drop then hit. When 4.5s hit I don't have that luxury. Blocking works for a while until the net man starts poaching. I quess I need to practice taking it on the rise and using more shoulder like I do with my backhand.
Vin:
I should have given more detail.
These are hard serves(4.5) down the middle in doubles. Blocking them is a problem after a while because of the net man poaching.
I agree hitting them down the line is easier but again I have some guy standing on the net. Hitting inside out backhands isn't a problem (2 handed) but running around to hit a fast serve down the middle is.
J.T.
I'm a righty.
My 2 hander (backhand)is a natural shot for me(ex left handed hockey player). My forehand sucks. I can nail the Inside out (two handed) backhand because I turn my shoulders and step into it(like a slapshot). I don't have a good unit turn on the forehand because of my open stance. It seems I'm more open on the Ad side. On slow serves I wait for it to drop and hit topspin.
I'll concentrate on turning the shoulders more and stepping into it. Maybe I'll practice right handed slap shots to get the unit turn going like I do for the backhand.
Thanks again guys for all the good feedback.

chaduke
09-10-2004, 09:19 AM
If you're returning wide or long you might be hitting the ball late. Have someone hit serves to you up the middle and work on making contact out in front , very similar to a volley.
I don't think that you need to feel as if you need to do something more than blocking back a serve especially if its coming in pretty fast. You can use that pace and just concentrate on the angle and keeping it fairly low. One of the best returns in doubles is a crosscourt that just clears the net and drops into the alley, similar to a drop shot. Then you follow it into the net or you can have your partner cover it but let him know ahead of time. If it's hit correctly the server will have to scramble to get to it and will most often just pop it up giving you or your partner an easy put away up the middle.