PDA

View Full Version : League Matches on Mother's Day?

ChipNCharge
03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Our spring USTA league has released the schedule. I've got a league match on Mother's Day. It's an "away" match at the nicest country club in town.

Do I skip the league match and spend Mother's Day with my mom, wife and daughter, or I do play in the match and just spend the following few days in the doghouse?

Chip

Geezer Guy
03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Tell me about it. There's a tournament here on Mother's Day weekend. I just got bumped up to 4.0, so it's pretty doubtful I'd still be playing on Sunday anyway, but there's still the chance...

cak
03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Our country club has the most amazing Mother's day brunch. (And Easter brunch, and Christmas eve brunch...) If you can do a great brunch, they might give you the afternoon off for tennis, or even come watch you.

AR15
03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Your captains should discuss rescheduling the match.

USTA doesn't consider holidays when they set schedules. Last season, we had matches scheduled on Valentines Day night.

spiderman123
03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Our spring USTA league has released the schedule. I've got a league match on Mother's Day. It's an "away" match at the nicest country club in town.

Do I skip the league match and spend Mother's Day with my mom, wife and daughter, or I do play in the match and just spend the following few days in the doghouse?

Chip

You have two choices.
1. Take your mom with you to watch the match if she is interested. I have a feeling that she would love it. Then spend some more time together somewhere after the match.

2. Tell her that you have a match that weekend and make up for it by spending a weekend before and after that works for both. Mothers deserve more than one special day a year anyway :)

dcottrill
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM

I love tennis as much as anyone..but blow off Mother's Day to play? I'd never hear the end of it!

Cruzer
03-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Chip

This question is the biggest no-brainer in the history of mankind. A few days in the doghouse? You can expect to be reminded about this for years to come if you chose to play in the match. What meathead scheduled a match on Mother's Day? Obviously someone who is not married to the mother of his children and someone who does not have a mother.

Cindysphinx
03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Our league doesn't schedule any matches on mother's day.

I'm a mother, and *I'd* never hear the end of it if I blew off mother's day to play tennis.

KFwinds
03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Your captains should discuss rescheduling the match.

USTA doesn't consider holidays when they set schedules. Last season, we had matches scheduled on Valentines Day night.

Hmmm... Valentines Day is a holiday? I must not have gotten the memo...

AR15
03-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Hmmm... Valentines Day is a holiday? I must not have gotten the memo...

Regardless, of what YOU consider it, it's a day that many spouses or significant others, have expectations of such things as dinner and flowers from their mates. Tennis is not what what many of our wives and girlfriends consider to being a romantic evening.

JLyon
03-20-2007, 05:36 AM
If you want to keep your manhood in check, I would strongly advice not playing on mother's day. this coming from a young husband/father/son.

raiden031
03-20-2007, 05:41 AM
I don't understand why the world has to stop because its Mother's day. So you take 2 hours out of the day to play tennis. You still have most of the day to spend with your mother.

Go Play!

I too would be in the doghouse, because I think its silly that you're not allowed to do anything else that day.

AR15
03-20-2007, 05:55 AM
I don't understand why the world has to stop because its Mother's day. So you take 2 hours out of the day to play tennis. You still have most of the day to spend with your mother.

Go Play!

I too would be in the doghouse, because I think its silly that you're not allowed to do anything else that day.

I kind of agree.

Yet, on the other hand, Mother's Day is only ONE day a year. Can't you stop playing tennis to devote one single day to your mother?

kevhen
03-20-2007, 08:01 AM
See if you can get the rest of your team to not play because of Mother's Day and have them move the meet to a different day.

jagsv650
03-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Yet, on the other hand, Mother's Day is only ONE day a year. Can't you stop playing tennis to devote one single day to your mother?

If you only devote one day a year to your mother/wife then you should be in a lot more trouble then you would be in by playing a 2 hour match on that day. If my wife has something to do come fathers day so be it. We spend lots of time together all year.

AR15
03-20-2007, 09:42 AM
If you only devote one day a year to your mother/wife then you should be in a lot more trouble then you would be in by playing a 2 hour match on that day. If my wife has something to do come fathers day so be it. We spend lots of time together all year.

OK, I spend an enormous amount of time with my wife, my mother in-law, and my family. Perhaps since I spend so much time with them, I'll blow off Christmas and birthdays too. Don't want to miss an opportunity to do something for myself.;)

raiden031
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
OK, I spend an enormous amount of time with my wife, my mother in-law, and my family. Perhaps since I spend so much time with them, I'll blow off Christmas and birthdays too. Don't want to miss an opportunity to do something for myself.;)

You don't have to blow off the whole day, just blow off 2 hours of the day.

Svenskpor
03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Bring your mom with you to watch (gotta be on your best behavior during the match) and take her out to dinner afterwards. You can mention how much you loved it when she would go watch you play Little League or whatever when you were a kid, and you wanted to relive those days, but this time it's your treat. It'll bring out the tears for sure.

AR15
03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Bring your mom with you to watch (gotta be on your best behavior during the match) and take her out to dinner afterwards. You can mention how much you loved it when she would go watch you play Little League or whatever when you were a kid, and you wanted to relive those days, but this time it's your treat. It'll bring out the tears for sure.

LOL! And on Easter, you can hide Easter Eggs around the courts to make it a memorable day for the family.

jagsv650
03-20-2007, 10:46 AM

First off as Raiden says you're not blowing them off for the whole day, just a couple of hours. Secondly, are you telling me you take off from work every year for all of their birthdays and spend the entire day with them? If not what's worse, leaving them for 8+ hours for work or 2 quick hours for a tennis obligation you made at the beginning of the season. As far as Christmas goes I doubt you would have any obligations that day so we don't need to get into that.

jagsv650
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM
LOL! And on Easter, you can hide Easter Eggs around the courts to make it a memorable day for the family.

You're confusing Mothers day and Valentines day as real holidays like Christmas and Easter. Next your going to say we should hold off on league play for flag day.

Svenskpor
03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I actually used to get off for Flag Day :lol:

I'm tellin ya, taking Mom out for tennis and dinner while wife and daughter have some bonding time is a can't miss idea :)

jagsv650
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I actually used to get off for Flag Day :lol:

I'm tellin ya, taking Mom out for tennis and dinner while wife and daughter have some bonding time is a can't miss idea :)

I want off for flag day!

Mothers day at the spa is always an option too. Gives you the time you need for your match and Mom and the wife think you're great.

AR15
03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
You're confusing Mothers day and Valentines day as real holidays like Christmas and Easter. Next your going to say we should hold off on league play for flag day.

You're just being argumentative. I don't care if they're real holidays or Hallmark Holidays. The bottom line is that they are considered special days by millions of people. To miss them might not be acceptable by many.

Its often easier to reschedule matches that to suffer the wrath of an upset mom or wife.

jagsv650
03-20-2007, 11:13 AM
You're just being argumentative. I don't care if they're real holidays or Hallmark Holidays. The bottom line is that they are considered special days by millions of people. To miss them might not be acceptable by many.

Its often easier to reschedule matches that to suffer the wrath of an upset mom or wife.

I'm not being argumentative, I'm being realistic. I guess I'm just lucky that I have a wife and a mother that would not be upset by this. Just like they have a husband and a son that wouldn't care if they blew off fathers day to go shopping.

Geezer Guy
03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm not being argumentative, I'm being realistic. I guess I'm just lucky that I have a wife and a mother that would not be upset by this. Just like they have a husband and a son that wouldn't care if they blew off fathers day to go shopping.

Well, some women DO get more upset than others about being slighted on their "special" days.
Me - I don't give two hoots about Father's Day.
My wife - Mother's Day is a HUGE deal that needs to be celebrated appropriately!

If you've got a spouse that's not into occasions, consider yourself lucky.

pagepa
03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
USTA players and captains need to understand that USTA leagues have deadlines, and coordinators cannot give them a day off for every holiday or special occasion. Our league is a weekend league, and it is very large. Captains and players always say they want as many matches as possible, but they also want Easter, Spring Break, Mother's Day, Memorial Day and Father's day off. Well, that doesn't leave you with too many weekends before your league deadline. National regulations require that teams play all other teams in their flights or levels. If coordinators split the levels into smaller flights, then the captains gripe because they don't get enough matches. It's a catch-22.

Regarding Mother's Day, I don't see the big deal about taking a couple of hours on Mother's Day to play tennis. My mother has never asked me (or my sisters or Dad) to spend the entire day with her on Mother's Day, but we always did something special for part of the day. I've never required my children or my husband to spend the entire Mother's Day with me. My Dad used to play tournaments on Mother's day weekend but he always did something nice for my Mom before or after. What kind of people are so selfish that they "put someone in the doghouse" if they spend 2-3 hours playing tennis. Sheesh!

kylebarendrick
03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I still wonder when it became a requirement to do something for your spouse on Mother's Day. I thought it was a day to honor your mother...

Ronaldo
03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Played a district playoff match on my wedding day. And you sweat Mothers Day?

pagepa
03-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Ronaldo, thats hilarious. Are you serious? You must be related to my family.

jagsv650
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM

I could see myself doing that too. Nice!

Ronaldo
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Ronaldo, thats hilarious. Are you serious? You must be related to my family.

Dead serious and you shoulda seen the look on my in-laws faces when I showed up in tennis gear to the church!

tennisnj
03-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Every year on Mother's Day weekend, the county in which I coach in has the 1st 3 rounds (or so) of their boys high school 'flight' tournament. I played in it 4 years & have coached at least on Saturday each of the last 6 years. It's a part of tennis life I guess. It would've been nice winning my semifinal match when I was a senior for my mom on her 'day', but now it's part of my job, so, I take mom out aftewards :)