PDA

View Full Version : Connors' doubles' partners

sandy mayer
03-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I never knew this but Connors played competitive doubles with alot of grand slam singles champions:
Alex Olmedo
Pancho Gonzales
Bjorn Borg (I was amazed I'd never heard this. They played at the 1974 Australian Open)
Ilie Nastase (this is well known)
Jim Courier
Pat Cash
Andre Agassi
Vitas Gerulaitis

christo
03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I feel for the officials if they had Nasty and Jimbo as a team to contend with

Moose Malloy
03-21-2007, 09:23 AM
when did connors play with agassi & courier?

s_andrean
03-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I feel for the officials if they had Nasty and Jimbo as a team to contend with

Yea, I just read Nasty's autobiography (a great read so you know), and they made a great pairing, but I think it was his great singles career that overshadowed what he did in doubles.

dommod
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
I thought Connors did not like doubles, and neither did Borg reportedly.

tandayu
04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
My dream double match to watch:

Connors/Nastase vs McEnroe/Flemming.

Who wants to be the umpire, linemen, etc.?

AndrewD
04-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Some interesting results alright. That includes a losing French Open final (with Nastase) against John Newcombe, a losing 5 set Wimbledon semi (with Nastase) against Newcombe-Roche, R/U at the Italian Open (with Nastase), US Open win (with Nastase) and a winning Wimbledon (with Nastase) against Neale Fraser.

That last one really caught my eye. Neale Fraser was 40 with a gammy leg at the time of the Wimbledon final but Connors-Nastase still only won by the score of 6-3 3-6 4-6 9-8 1-6. Guess that shows how far a truly great serve (and Fraser was considered to have the greatest left-handed serve of all time) can take you - even if your groundstrokes are pretty ordinary.

Sandy Mayer,

At the 1974 Aus Open, Jimmy Connors played with Spencer Segura - Pancho's son- not Bjorn Borg. He did play the 73 Aus Open with Borg.

Other singles champions (of a major) that he played with include Mats Wilander, Arthur Ashe, Stan Smith and Roscoe Tanner.

Moose Malloy
04-09-2007, 09:24 AM
At the 1974 Aus Open, Jimmy Connors played with Spencer Segura - Pancho's son- not Bjorn Borg. He did play the 73 Aus Open with Borg.

Actually that was the '74 & '75 Australian you are referring to. The Australian in those years started in December but finished in January, officially counting for the year it ends, not the year it starts.

In the record books, it says Dent played Connors in the 1974 Australian Open final, but on the atp site, it says 12-26-73 as the start date, as it does for the doubles draw that year, so the year Connors played with Borg was considered the '74 AO, not the '73.

rdumonde
04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Connors also teamed up with someone who had won 18 Grand Slam Singles titles.

r