PDA

View Full Version : News to me: Jiri Novak retired

hoosierbr
03-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I was wondering what happened to Jiri Novak and it turns he retired at the end of last year.

Not the flashiest of players but certainly solid and a pleasure to watch when I had the chance. I thought he played well against Nadal at the US Open last year.

A fine career even with no Grand Slam or Davis Cup glory.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/85716

insiderman
03-20-2007, 05:16 AM
Not 100% "retired" - look for him to play selectively in 2007. He is still training and playing daily, but his #1 focus is with the family.

Great player, but more so...a FANTASTIC person!

Trust me, I know...

hoosierbr
03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
You know nothing.

Rabbit
03-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Ehhhhh...you be wrong, hoosierbr. The boy is definitely on the side of gray matter when it comes to tennis.

NoBadMojo
03-20-2007, 05:18 PM
I was wondering what happened to Jiri Novak and it turns he retired at the end of last year.

Not the flashiest of players but certainly solid and a pleasure to watch when I had the chance. I thought he played well against Nadal at the US Open last year.

in addition a <snip> from october
Jiri called it quit!!!
Todays match in Basel was the last one in Jiri Novak's professional career on ATP tour. I would like to thank Jiri for everything he had done for czech tennis, for his willingness to always represent our country and for his dedication to sport itself. Thanks for the memories Jirka and best wishes for the next part of your life, I will miss you.

Jiri also announced that he is going to play his farewell tournament in Prostejov. Probably the last chance for some of his fans to see him playing live.
<end snip>

Was news to me too Hoosier....kind of a silent going away from a good solid tour vet...no big weapons but a very good ball striker

The insiderman has posted other inaccuricies within the forum, so his post isnt surprising. Ya know..you really dont get to just be on tour whenever you want on a limited basis as insiderman sez. doesnt work that way

hoosierbr
03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
True that, Ed. Someone else just looking for attention.

Am sorry to see Jiri call it a day. Always hate to see a Volkl user go.

Randy

Butters!
03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
in addition a <snip> from october
Jiri called it quit!!!
Todays match in Basel was the last one in Jiri Novak's professional career on ATP tour. I would like to thank Jiri for everything he had done for czech tennis, for his willingness to always represent our country and for his dedication to sport itself. Thanks for the memories Jirka and best wishes for the next part of your life, I will miss you.

Jiri also announced that he is going to play his farewell tournament in Prostejov. Probably the last chance for some of his fans to see him playing live.
<end snip>

Was news to me too Hoosier....kind of a silent going away from a good solid tour vet...no big weapons but a very good ball striker

The insiderman has posted other inaccuricies within the forum, so his post isnt surprising. Ya know..you really dont get to just be on tour whenever you want on a limited basis as insiderman sez. doesnt work that way

He hit a nice clean ball but nothing spectacular. I´m surprised he actually qualified to a Master´s Cup back in 2002 and he didn´t even win a tournament that year either. His movement was not his strong suit, but somehow he got to the ball. One of the few guys who used Völkl too. I hit with it once and I felt the thing was broken it flexed so much. Probably the softest thing I ever hit with.

insiderman
03-21-2007, 07:50 AM
NBMJ, you 'crack-me-up'. So I guess the dinner I had last night with Jiri and his family, where he told me of his events he will play in a limited capasity for the 2007 season, was all his or my, imagination?

So typical replied from 'want-to-be's' to those of us who are actually in the know and just try to share some TRUE insite.

I wonder why I even bother...

And yes...I actually realy, really do know - trust me or not - I could care less

Rabbit
03-21-2007, 08:36 AM
It seems that whenever someone who is "in the know" is on the boards, there is a contingent who resents it enough to try and run them off. It would seem to me that if we encourage participation, maybe the circle would widen. Maybe, just maybe, we'd get more participation from people who are in the higher echelons of the game. Hell, if I was a pro, or a technician, I'd really find it difficult to post here with all the crap that comes back. As is, I'm a fan who loves to read the real scoop and not speculation.

I haven't seen any other "inaccuracies" this guy has posted. I have seen him give some good advice regarding hybrids. I have seen him post some knowledgable stuff about stringing and about the professional game. I have learned a lot about how natural gut is finished, which didn't ever surface before. The proof is in the pudding and this guy appears to be legit.

I personally don't have a problem learning from someone who knows more than I do about the sport. It's just a shame that others don't feel the same way and feel threatened when anyone who does know more than they do comes along.

Post on, insiderman, there is someone who's interested.

NoBadMojo
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Rabbit, hoosierb made the post and put a link from czech radio which stated that novak had retired. i would say that is a credible source. there was even a picture of him in a suit which looks like it was taken at some sort of retirement ceremony if you bothered to click on the link. i would say that indicates the dude has retired. i also quickly googled and discovered when his last ATP tournemant was..i would say that is a good indication he's retired. the insiderman has posted wrong information elsewhere in the forum, the evidence clearly indicates novak has retired, so logical to make assumptions. i dont care if he posts or not, am certainly not trying to run anyone off, but his info has been OFF elsewhere too..people are of course welcome to believe whatever they like...i think i'll agree with hoosiers link..it really aint a big deal in the greater cosmos

Rabbit
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Yep, I clicked on it. I also know how reliable the media is. If insiderman got it straight from Novak's mouth, I might would ask some questions before calling him a liar. Gee, I sure hope Novak doesn't ask for a wild card into anything.

What is this "wrong information"? You've made reference to it several times with no details.

What I've seen from him has been very insightful. He thinks Pacific is better than Klip. He's been to both factories, he's been to the Babolat factory. Seems to me that may lend some creedence to his posts. I don't know anyone else on these boards who've been to all 3 factories.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your contributions insiderman.

Thanks for your advocacy Rabbit.

NoBadMojo, I agree with a lot of what you post (i.e. swingweights, new equipment for the modern game), but I think Rabbit is right in pointing out how it seems that the only "inaccuracies" you could attribute to insiderman were his negative reviews of Klip's natural gut. My stringer, who's not insiderman, also told me that Klip produced an "inferior" gut compared to other manufacturers like Babolat and Pacific--insiderman's negative reviews of Klip gut aren't "inaccuracies", they're his opinions. His opinion about Klip gut is shared by many. Your (differing) opinion about Klip gut is shared by many. Neither of you is inaccurate. I don't think you, who has a lot of experience in tennis, or more than a handful of us on the board have the depth of knowledge that insiderman seems to have. Hopefully you can be more appreciative of his contributions as they are very helpful and insightful.

NoBadMojo
03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
...well ya..i guess you can also say that sampras isnt retired either..i mean he played some team tennis. chris evert plays some events too. courier? naaah..he's not retired nor is rios..they play tourneys

again..i dont care and it really isnt a big deal, but i would think czech radio is a reliable source of info especially since Novak is a Czech

Why you people make this minutia into big deals totally escapes me
<snip>
A special prize was presented to Jiri Novak on Saturday, at the Golden Canary awards for Czech tennis player of the year. The award was in recognition of all that Novak achieved during a long professional career, which recently came to an end when he played his last tournament, the Swiss Indoors in Basle.
<end snip>

carry on...i'll gladly excuse myself from this thread.

insiderman
03-21-2007, 03:31 PM
And of a lesser note...I helped my friend today, (Jiri) purchase 3-bikes for his kids...

Perhaps this was his being 'secretly' planning a new career!? Actually, it was an enjoyable experience helping-out and old friend buy some 'stuff' for his kids.

Yea, they, (Pro's) are human and yes...I do know so.

Trust me NBMJ - I do know...

Rabbit
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Why you people make this minutia into big deals totally escapes me

Hang on there, mojo. I didn't make any minutia into any big deal. You're the one who made the claims of inaccuracy. insiderman never said Klip was a bad gut. As a matter of record, he said they use the same method to refine gauge of gut as every other manufacturer except Babolat. What he did say was that "you get what you pay for" and that Babolat and Pacific were better guts. I don't see how that is knocking Klip or any other manufacturer. That's stating opinion, and in his case apparently it's very informed opinion.

My point was and still is that we need to cultivate that kind of participation in these boards. If insiderman is indeed who he says he is, and has a good experience here, then maybe he'll persuade others (Novak?) to maybe come on and give something back. Maybe not. I mean I get tired of reading "what kind of dampener is most aerodynamic" threads and I know you do too. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone on the boards who's worked with pros to determine their real equipment needs? From what he's posted, it appears insiderman has done just that. And while you say you've had experience with 25 sets of Klip, it sounds like he's had experience with 2500 sets of Klip and probably that many of every other manufacturer. Certainly that is the kind of knowledge that would be useful to anyone reading these boards.

To wit, check out a post by Richard Parnell who says "he doesn't know any pro who's ever changed his racket weight/balance by surface". I know, it's a laugh. But this is the very kind of thought and post that has begun to dominate the thinking & bandwidth of the boads. Guys who think that Nads increases/decreases weight and balance by surface.... Like Nads or any other pro gets up and checks the relative humidity to decide whether or not to add 2 grams of weight to the end of his stick.

I mean, hell, insiderman may even agree with your theories on racket head size and weight/balance for club players. That might go a long way to helping other clubbers on the boards.

I'm not calling you out on this, but I don't think it's fair to deflect the argument of "minutia" back against those who don't agree with you on this as you are the one who cited "inaccuracies" to begin with.

Mark Vessels
03-22-2007, 05:04 PM

One of the few players who beat Fed in a final, no?

What comes around goes back around like I told ya hey

hoosierbr
03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
One of the few players who beat Fed in a final, no?

What comes around goes back around like I told ya hey

Not sure I get that. I assume it's a joke.

BruceG
03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Trust me, I know...

If it's not being impolite, how is it that you 'know' and, why the need for secrecy?

I mean, theres a few guys who post or have posted on here who work in the tennis industry, including one who had a lot to do with Sampras - his personal stringer I think it was, but they've made no secret of their identity.