PDA

View Full Version : Volleying return of Serve...Legal?

Jerry Seinfeld
09-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Is volleying a return of serve legal or must the receiver allow the ball to bounce in the service box before making contact?

Thanks!

Rickson
09-09-2004, 11:36 AM
You're kidding, right?

Jerry Seinfeld
09-09-2004, 11:38 AM
I saw it done in a weekend match I was watching. Am curious to know if it is legal. It was VERY odd to witness.

Rickson
09-09-2004, 11:41 AM
The volleyer of the serve should have lost the point. If he didn't, then the players didn't know what they were doing.

ucd_ace
09-09-2004, 11:53 AM
You have to let the ball bounce or you lose the point, but if you're playing with someone who doesn't have any idea, it would probably be a pretty good strategy...

Jerry Seinfeld
09-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Never seen it tried before and was uncertain of the rule. Based on Rickson's response I am going to assume that there is a rule stating that the ball must hit in the service box before it is in play. Correct?

Hypothetically...what if the receiver is playing in on a second serve? The server hits a hard serve long and the receiver can not get out of way. The receiver sticks racquet out and hits balls before it hits ground to avoid being hit by ball. Ball miraculously goes in play. If receiver was hit by ball, the point goes to server. If ball is volleyed in play point also goes to server because ball did not hit ground...correct? Just verifying. Will go to USTA site and look up ruling.

Bungalo Bill
09-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Never seen it tried before and was uncertain of the rule. Based on Rickson's response I am going to assume that there is a rule stating that the ball must hit in the service box before it is in play. Correct?

Hypothetically...what if the receiver is playing in on a second serve? The server hits a hard serve long and the receiver can not get out of way. The receiver sticks racquet out and hits balls before it hits ground to avoid being hit by ball. Ball miraculously goes in play. If receiver was hit by ball, the point goes to server. If ball is volleyed in play point also goes to server because ball did not hit ground...correct? Just verifying. Will go to USTA site and look up ruling.

Yes the ball must hit the court before it can be struck. This is why you dont see pros taking serves at the net!

tetsuo10
09-09-2004, 01:41 PM
In my younger days, for doubles, every now and then I'd aim my serve at the net guy for some cheap points. :twisted:

Rickson
09-09-2004, 04:47 PM
If you can volley a ball that's by the baseline, it's obviously a fault.

papa
09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
If the ball hits you/racquet or your partner/racquet (doubles) before it strikes the surface the point goes to the server. If you catch the ball in the air, even if it appear to you that the ball is going out, the point goes to the server, regardless of where you (or your partner - doubles) are standing.

You can however be inside the box (including your feet) if you desire but the ball has to hit before you can return it.

Camilio Pascual
09-10-2004, 09:50 AM

Not quite, it could completely miss the service box and not be called a fault, which means it is good. This happens a lot in amateur play with balls going an inch or two long.

lendl lives
09-10-2004, 10:59 AM
this is a good question. i know 4.0 league players who hit powder puff serves that spin and stay low to the ground.

Tennis Guy
09-11-2004, 01:00 PM
If you can volley a ball that's by the baseline, it's obviously a fault.
Technically, you still lose the point.