PDA

View Full Version : We should petition for lighter barricades

cys19
03-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure there are numerous, avid players of tennis out there who would like Barricade V's to be at least an ounce or two lighter than the IV's. Someone should start a petition, and perhaps TW can help us convince adidas with the petition.

Gee
03-21-2007, 03:25 AM
I agree with you that the BIV are clumpsy. That's why I switched to Asics shoes.

Ronny
03-21-2007, 03:34 AM
i don't actually think that the IV's are heavy at all. Meh, it might be just me as I can run fast and perfectly fine with it and I play 6-7 times a week.

fabulousfab
03-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Change for the Babolat Team All Court 3s ! much lighter and at least as durable.
And they've really improved the comfort (easy!)

s_andrean
03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I personally like the barricades as they are, as if you reduce the weight you have to sacrifice something. I also like the tank-like build of them, loadsa support and great durability.

My 2 pence.

Tour 90
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Thats what they made the cc feather for... sheesh

s_andrean
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Thats what they made the cc feather for... sheesh

They are completely different shoes. I work in a pro shop and have used both, and they are nothing alike. The Feathers have little support and poor durability and a compltely different sole pattern, more suited for clay. I think what they are trying to get at is that they like the attributes of the barricade but just find it a bit on the heavy side.

El Guapo
03-21-2007, 11:48 AM
I personally like the barricades as they are, as if you reduce the weight you have to sacrifice something. I also like the tank-like build of them, loadsa support and great durability.

My 2 pence.
You've obviously never heard of Yonex. Try comparing a 305 to the BIV and you'll quickly learn that weight does not equal stability.

jamauss
03-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Buy some barricade II's if you're looking for a light Barricade.

BiGGieStuFF
03-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Buy some barricade II's if you're looking for a light Barricade.

That's what I did as well. BII's offer same performance with a lighter platform. Maybe a little less durability.

s_andrean
03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
You've obviously never heard of Yonex. Try comparing a 305 to the BIV and you'll quickly learn that weight does not equal stability.

I was specifically referring to the barricades. I know yonex do incredibly stable shoes, and I work in a pro shop, so I know what i'm talking about. I wasn't saying that you couldn't find a lighter shoe with the same stability, I was saying that if you made the barricade lighter, something would have to be sacrificed.

stormholloway
03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
The Breathe II's are way lighter than the Barricade IV's and still manage to have more cushioning.

What is the point of all this weight?

s_andrean
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
The Breathe II's are way lighter than the Barricade IV's and still manage to have more cushioning.

What is the point of all this weight?

Durability and support.

BreakPoint
03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Durability and support.
Also stability.

stormholloway
03-21-2007, 09:23 PM
I kinda think stability and support go hand in hand. If you're being supported, you'll have a stable ride.

Durability I just don't get. People say the IV's are tanks, but why would I want to wear tanks on my feet?

Nonetheless, if you like them, great. I think they look good but to me they're way less comfortable than the Breathe II's or even the Barricade III's. I also like the Accelerators for comfort.

rod_b
03-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Personally I think it's dependant on the person wearing the shoes. My friend is 5'6", goes about 150lbs and always wear's light shoes. He didn't like the B-IVs. I'm 5'9", tipping the scale at around 2 bills and like the B-II & B-IVs. I've also tried a light shoe like the Boom and felt that my feet, ankles and knees worked harder because the shoe wasn't giving me enough support and stability. Who knows!?

El Guapo
03-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Durability and support.
Again, Yonex, Nike, Asics, Babolat, etc. They've got the durability and support but without the weight. The B IVs are just a crappy design and use cheaper materials that makes Adidas more money but gives us a worse product.

BiGGieStuFF
03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I agree that you can get stability w/o weight. Just look at the nike huarache basketball shoes. They weigh in at under 15oz's. Durability can add weight though. I can't attest to the durability of the yonex compared to the Biv's but one of the things that made the BIV heavier was more durable rubber in trouble areas in the forefoot area.

Some people don't need all the durability and support of the BIV's and can get away with less. On hardcourts I'll take all the cushioning I can though. Save my knees and legs and back

El Guapo
03-22-2007, 09:04 AM
If you need more cushioning, the Barricades are a bad choice. You can get a lot more cushioning and a lot less weight elsewhere.

BiGGieStuFF
03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
If you need more cushioning, the Barricades are a bad choice. You can get a lot more cushioning and a lot less weight elsewhere.

You can but then you lose in other departments. The barricades aren't the best in one category but it's a balanced shoe. Good for those who need a bit of everything. If it's one specific thing you're looking for than there are other shoes that may fit those needs.

stormholloway
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't get the durability issue. I think weight and cushioning are most important as long as the shoe is stable enough for lateral movement so your ankles are safe.

I found the Barricade IV to offer very little cushioning. If durability is the only major plus for the BIV over Breathe II, I'll take Breathe in a second.

BiGGieStuFF
03-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't get the durability issue. I think weight and cushioning are most important as long as the shoe is stable enough for lateral movement so your ankles are safe.

I found the Barricade IV to offer very little cushioning. If durability is the only major plus for the BIV over Breathe II, I'll take Breathe in a second.

I can't compare the BIV's vs the BFII's but the BIV's are more stable than the BFIII's considerably. Though the BFIII's do feel softer on impact I don't get a sense of the court when I'm running unless it's on the balls of my feet which might be good for people who are flat footed.

BIV's>BFIII's. I didn't like the slip on feel of the BFII's though.

If it makes any difference I did go back to the BII's since they are lighter and pinch a little less than the BIV's do at the outer bone of my left foot so I do like the BII's more than the BIV's though.

stormholloway
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm in the minority. I find the BIII's to be my favorite of the line. I tried on the II and III in the store and the II absolutely strangled my already narrow feet. The III did, as you say, slip right on. I find it very comfortable. The IV was in between the other two in terms of fit.

I just didn't like the bulk of the IV and felt that with all that weight it should be a softer feeling shoe. Stable yes, but comfortable? I don't think so.

OnyxZ28
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Original Barricades were very light and and stable as well. Adidas needs to reissue those.

ryohazuki222
03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm an avid adidas consumer. That said, I used to hate the barricade line. Thought it was ugly, and looking at the specs they just seemed clunky and heavy. I needed a new shoe after I wore out my CC feathers (the first ones). I ended up buying the Booms. I liked em at first, but after repetitive playing, my feet began hurting a little... "oh well."

Oh yeah, did I mention how I used the think that barricades were freakishly over priced? $100+ for a shoe... you're crazy...

One day I was at an adidas outlet... say B3's for ~$50. I decided to just try em on and see what all the fuss was about. At the time, i still thought they were ugly. I slipped em on and WOW... they felt great. Soft and fit like a glove. After a few minutes of deliberation, I thought I'd buy em -- the 6 month outsole guarantee sold me on it since I always wear out my normal tennis shoes in 2-3 months if the weather allows me to play as much as I like.

When I first wore them on the court I didnt like em very much. It felt like I was playing in boots (keep in mind I've been using light/speed/performance shoes for the past few years). And they had way too much traction... I felt like my feet were glued to the ground. It affected my speed a little, and really sapped my endurance to play in em. ... But my feet didn't hurt.

I insisted on using them so that I would wear them out in under 6 months. In that time they grew on me. I convinced myself I now liked the cosmetics... they werent that heavy anymore (Booms felt super light though when I'd put them on, though) but most importantly -- unlike with the booms... my feet almost never hurt after tennis.

Durability was above average, but didnt nearly last close to 6 months in the type of shape I hoped. after about 3 months I was through the rubber on my right shoe in the big toe area. Decided to keep on using em since they were still usable. I didn't play as much tennis the next 3 months, but after those were up, they were worn out to the point that it was impossible to play in em.

I liked them so much I wanted to buy another pair. But the adidas outlets were out and i didnt find any on ****. I refused to pay the ~$90 for them without a durability guarantee... so i started looking around. I decided if B4's were only $105 but had the gurantee it brings it down to 50-60 if you wear em out -- which is my price range for shoes.

Tried the B4's and loved em. They look amazing (hilarious considering i used to think all barricades were hideous, eh?) and play a lot better than my b3's (though admittedly, the last impression with my b3's are not so great -- ie... worn out, etc). Contrary to TW's stats, I find the B4's lighter than the B3's. To me, they play a lot more like a speed/performance shoe than I was expecting, and still offer the stability and comfort I want. IMO, the comfort isn't as awesome as with the B3's, but it's still incredible.

I can't compare with nikes, since I hate nike for no apparent reason (lol... like i said... avid adidas fan) but I have to agree with BiGGieStuFF... the b4's is an awesome overall shoe. That might have something to do with why it sells so well.

BreakPoint
03-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Durability was above average, but didnt nearly last close to 6 months in the type of shape I hoped. after about 3 months I was through the rubber on my right shoe in the big toe area. Decided to keep on using em since they were still usable. I didn't play as much tennis the next 3 months, but after those were up, they were worn out to the point that it was impossible to play in em.

So did you send in your BIII's for warranty replacement before your 6 months were up?

KFwinds
03-23-2007, 01:07 AM
I've been an avid Barricade user for going on 7 years now. I've had 7 pairs starting with the original Barricades, then 4 pairs of II's and 2 pair of III's.

Although I've tried them on, I will never get to the IV's because recently I've tried on a couple of other brands that are going to make me switch - Yonex 305's and Prince MV4. Both of these shoes absolutely blow away the Barricades, especially the Yonex. I thought the Prince was very similar to the Barricade IV, but with a better fit; the Yonex is just an amazing all-around shoe in terms of comfort and weight. Long-time Barricade users or anyone considering Barricades for their next shoe should give these others a look. I always thought I'd be wearing Barricades forever, but I was pleasantly surprised to find shoes that were even better.

ShcMad
03-23-2007, 06:38 AM
I've got a pair of Barricade III's and they feel so much clumsier than my Barricade II's. My whole game style changes when I feel clumsy, for the bad.

ryohazuki222
03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
So did you send in your BIII's for warranty replacement before your 6 months were up?

Funny thing is that I had an important tournament coming up at the roughly the same time. I wouldn't have gotten my new barricades in time. I decided I'd rather play with the shoe I had been for just those couple days.

So, to answer your question -- no, I didn't send in my B3's for warranty replacement.

cys19
03-23-2007, 01:39 PM
adidas should watch out for Yonex....

dr_punk
03-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I own some II's...

ibringtheHEAT
03-25-2007, 10:58 AM
the II's are by far the best of the line. the 3 and 4 are clown shoes, and the origninal is good, but needed improvement.

Forehand Forever
03-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I own two pairs of IV's. I really don't see how the shoes are heavy. I run perfectly fine in these shoes and anyone who is complaining about the weight of their shoes suck it up and buy a different pair of shoes instead of petitioning for the weight. :)

El Guapo
03-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Only a fool couldn't see how 17oz is heavier than 14oz.

s_andrean
03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
I own two pairs of IV's. I really don't see how the shoes are heavy. I run perfectly fine in these shoes and anyone who is complaining about the weight of their shoes suck it up and buy a different pair of shoes instead of petitioning for the weight. :)

Ditto ditto ditto ditto..

xtremerunnerars
03-25-2007, 04:34 PM
I agree with forehand. The "weight" (which if it bothers you, that's absurd) is what makes a barricade a barricade. If you wear your shoes to look cool, then your problem lies much deeper i'm afraid.

El Guapo
03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
The weight is what makes a barricade a barricade.
Possibly the most foolish statement ever typed on these forums. Congrats.

BiGGieStuFF
03-25-2007, 08:52 PM

I know...so what were the barricade ii's? Junior barricades? Not yet adult barricades?

Zets147
03-25-2007, 08:56 PM
If you want tanks, get the Reebok Match Day Pumps (which I am not a fan of...)

Switching back to barricades after these tanks are worn out. They are so damn bulky!!! Ugh!

xtremerunnerars
03-26-2007, 02:53 AM

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6581/trollnw9.jpg

I'll admit that the wording is a tad awkward if you have trouble with semantics, and I knew that when I typed it. How long have you been on these boards? Five minutes? I think the exaggeration on your part's a bit too much.

What I meant was, for those of you who lack english skills (:-)), The weight of a barricade is what makes it unique.

Ano
03-26-2007, 03:35 AM

Hmmm.... you have only been in this board for 1 month, and you have already attacked the other member.

Congrats!!! You should be proud of yourself, new member!

Duzza
03-26-2007, 04:03 AM
I'm with the newby here though. The weight isn't what makes the Barricade. There are several things I would rank higher than the weight on the B4's, including comfort, support and all round stability. IMO the weight is fine, any lighter and they wouldn't be as comfortable I believe. And there I go contradicting myself (the underlining).

ibringtheHEAT
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
True, and I shouldnt even be talking about this seeing as I use Lottos that are over 17oz. When I used the Barricade IV they weren't so much heavy as they were bulky

Forehand Forever
03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
If the weight of the Barricade IV's is too much go with the Feathers or whatever they're called I can't remember right now. I've tried them on and it felt like I was walking around barefoot basically. I don't think that the BIV's are too bulky either. To me, they're perfect tennis shoes.

rabidcow
04-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I recommend looking at the Adidas Feathers

tlm
04-08-2007, 08:38 AM
I know if you feel the weight of the barricade IV's holding them they seem a little heavy.But i dont notice the weight while playing with them, like others have said the weight is part of what makes them such a solid shoe.

You will not get the support + solid feel with lighter shoes.I think a lot of you need to do some weight training+ build up some strength, you have to be a little wimpy if you feel that these great shoes are to heavy for you.

Ronny
04-08-2007, 08:32 PM
y would adidas change the iv's if some many ppl in the world have bought them and love them

tenis
04-08-2007, 09:17 PM
The quality of Baricades 2 went down after years, especially the bottom of shoes (harsh ruber), which has an "arch" from left to right side. It's funny, but the replacement (after 6 months quar.) were always much worse ,than if you buy a new one. That sucks!

tlm
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
When did adidas change the barricade iv ?