PDA

View Full Version : USTA systm for a Brit

jamumafa
03-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey, Rabbit posted this in a thread

Originally Posted by USTA

You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success and occasionally force errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident.
You have developed your use of power and spin and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game plan according to your opponents. You can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. You tend to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

I feel that Although I do have some of the stuff listed in 4.5, I lack a great volley (it's ok, gets the job done....just) at the 4.0 level.

I was wondering - if i were to be rated, would I be a 4.0 and have to work on a volley or be given B.O.D and be a 4.5?

Cheers for the help USA guys

JRstriker12
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey, Rabbit posted this in a thread

I feel that Although I do have some of the stuff listed in 4.5, I lack a great volley (it's ok, gets the job done....just) at the 4.0 level.

I was wondering - if i were to be rated, would I be a 4.0 and have to work on a volley or be given B.O.D and be a v.5?

Cheers for the help USA guys

Really, it would be up to the pro to decide based on the strength of your game. In the description, it says aggressive net play is common in doubles, so, I don't think that a weaker volley would be that much of a detractor in your rating if you are extremely strong in all the other areas mentioned.

However, ratings can be a funny thing and a bit subjective. Really the best test of your rating is competitive play. If you did well at a 4.5 level, then you are a 4.5. If your lack of a strong volley gets you killed a 4.5, then 4.0 may be better for you.

IMHO - I think most players walk the line in ratings from say 3.0-3.5 or 3.5-4.0.

JWin
03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I have found through discussions with local pros, that there is a lot of "gaming" that goes in the ratings here, college all-americans playing 4.0 and 4.5, not due to injury, age, or other ascertainable factors.

2 guys both on scholarships in college, now playing 4.0, which per the text does not match up with a 4.0 rating.

So..., is this a reflection of unwritten rules of adjusting someone down based on age, even though they have the game/shots described, or gamesmanship forcing higher skilled players into lower USTA numerical categories, skewing everything away from the plain language?