PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any experience with ALTA?

yonex90
03-20-2007, 05:32 PM
ALTA is what we play in Georgia instead of USTA. In fact I'm not sure if there are any USTA teams. I was thinking about trying to join a team but I'm not sure what level I play. I hit with a guy today that is an A8 and I feel comfortable hitting with him, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him about it because he was a coach and his team showed up.

Knowing my luck none of you are from GA.

tennis-n-sc
03-20-2007, 05:36 PM
My son and daughter-in-law play ALTA in the Atlanta area, which is the only part of Georgia that has ALTA. USTA leagues are all over Gerogia including Atlanta. The ALTA leagues usually don't conflict with USTA seasons so you can play both. There are several guys on the this board from the Atlanta area.

beernutz
03-20-2007, 05:46 PM
My brother and sister-in-law play both ALTA and USTA. Players can most certainly do both in Georiga. They live in Glen Abbey in Alpharetta, outside Atlanta, which has many ALTA and USTA teams.

You don't even say what NTRP level you are.

yonex90
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Do the levels A1-8, B1-8, etc. match up with NTRP ratings? I'm a 4.5+ level player. Is it better to join ALTA or USTA? Which one is easiest to find a team?

tennis-n-sc
03-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Do the levels A1-8, B1-8, etc. match up with NTRP ratings? I'm a 4.5+ level player. Is it better to join ALTA or USTA? Which one is easiest to find a team?

I'm not sure about the levels. My son has an NTRP of 3.5 and I believe he said he was B something in ALTA. From what I hear, ALTA teams are primarily neighborhood and subdivision teams. Look them up in the phone book and make a few calls. Tennis is huge in the Atlanta area, you should have no problem finding teams in either league.

jgn1013
03-21-2007, 06:05 PM
ALTA season just started last week i think, never played but know people who do.
http://www.altatennis.org/

amarone
03-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Do the levels A1-8, B1-8, etc. match up with NTRP ratings? I'm a 4.5+ level player. Is it better to join ALTA or USTA? Which one is easiest to find a team? As beernutz says, you can play both. ALTA has men/women leagues in spring and fall, and mixed in summer and winter. USTA has men/women in summer and winter, plus mixed and combo inbetween. The ALTA site has been posted already. The USTA Atlanta site is http://www.southern.usta.com/atlanta/home/default.sps. USTA Atlanta will help you find a team here (http://www.southern.usta.com/atlanta/usaleaguetennis/custom.sps?iType=4084&icustompageid=8306). Sign up for the next USTA season starts March 29.

ALTA is doubles only. USTA has the usual two singles and three doubles.

ALTA allows players of any level to play on any team, and sets the level for the whole team based on the overall team result. Pairs are supposed to play in order of strength and there are rules to prevent you swapping the order around too much. There is often a large discrepancy in ability between the 1 and 5 positions. I would say that a 4.5 player can play anywhere from low AA to mid A.

I am somewhat surprised that you played a coach who plays at A8, unless he is over 55, as any coach under 55 has to play AA by ALTA rules. I hover around the 3.5/4.0 boundary and am comfortable playing 1s or 2s on a high B team.

spt
03-23-2007, 04:00 AM
amarone is right on. There is often a large discrepancy between line 1 and line 5 players. a solid 4.0 player would have success playing at line 4 or 5 on a decent high A team and would also have his hands full playing line one in some divisions in hign B. There is no reason why you can not play both USTA and ALTA, the leagues do not overlap and my at my club, many of the same guys play both leagues together throughout the year.

Men's Spring ALTA did start last week, so find a team nearby and have them add you on. Because there are no ratings associated with ALTA, it is always better to try to get on a lower team and move up. Because of the way the divisions are formed at the beginning of each season, a lot of lower teams do not want to add higher rated players becasue it would bump them up. Also, you get more match time if you are playing 1 or 2 rather than subbing in at 4 or 5.