PDA

View Full Version : What's a heavy serve?

a529612
09-09-2004, 04:31 PM
What exactly is a heavy serve? Why is it more deadly than a fast serve?

chaduke
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
People often use the word "heavy" to describe a ball hit with a lot of spin, usually topspin, causing it to dip down towards the court and bounce up high or "kick".
Less advanced players seem to have trouble timing these shots because they have a different flight pattern and jump off the court in a different direction than a normal hit flat ball.
At the same time spin slows down the overall speed of the ball. Advanced players who are familiar with it can often take it on the rise and produce a very aggresive return, so it can have almost the opposite effect against these better players.

TennsDog
09-10-2004, 06:26 PM
"Heavy" usually refers to a ball hit with a lot of pace and spin, often even a little different spin. When a ball like this hits your racket it seems to push the racket head around more than one hit hard and flat. The spin causes the ball to really dig into the stringbed which you can feel on contact. They often result in mishits and/or framed shots. A heavy racket helps handle shots like these.

gregraven
09-11-2004, 05:14 AM
My vote for a heavy serve is that Sampras serve against Rafter a few years back, where the ball broke completely through Rafter's strings. :-)

ATXtennisaddict
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Will serving with a pretty flat ball REDUCE the heavyness? (not flat serve, I mean the actual ball being less than fresh)

I might need to lead up my racket to deal with heavy serves AND baseline shots. What do you all think?

kevhen
12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
If the ball is flat, it will be hard to hit with a lot of pace, but then alot of spin can still be applied to it. It generally won't feel as heavy since it won't bounce up as high or have as much pace but because it's flat it won't bounce off your strings and may not have as much pace going out since the ball is flat and you will hear a weird sound as it flattens into your string bed and then will sometimes land in the net due to lack of pace so it might come off as heavy in that sense.

Don't use flat balls though even if your opponent does hit very heavy and causes you to lose. You won't improve your game very quickly playing with flat balls.

AngeloDS
12-21-2005, 10:20 AM
A heavy ball for me is that, the ball feels heavy because it has the right combination of spin and power behind it. Too much spin or too much power, the ball doesn't feel heavy your strokes will feel fairly normal.

It feels like you're hitting something other than a tennis ball. For me, it feels like the ball is the weight of a baseball. Just feels heavy and hard to go through the shot, especially on the followthrough.

Ripper
12-21-2005, 10:55 AM
A heavy ball for me is that, the ball feels heavy because it has the right combination of spin and power behind it. Too much spin or too much power, the ball doesn't feel heavy your strokes will feel fairly normal.

It feels like you're hitting something other than a tennis ball. For me, it feels like the ball is the weight of a baseball. Just feels heavy and hard to go through the shot, especially on the followthrough.

This is right. When I practice my serves, I've noticed that, when I hit the ball right, it kind of flattens or squashes against the floor, when it makes it's 1st bounce. Has anyone else observed tennis balls doing this?

munk3y
12-21-2005, 11:19 AM
My vote for a heavy serve is that Sampras serve against Rafter a few years back, where the ball broke completely through Rafter's strings. :-)

did that really happen? sounds like something from that prince of tennis anime.
thats outrageous

AngeloDS
12-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Yes, it happend there's a picture haha. It broke near the bottom, nowhere near the sweet spot though. And the strings they used at the time were gut so yeah.

Also, you know it's heavy if it passes by you and you hear this whizzing sound. Like it's spinning really fast, and breaking through the air.

Midlife crisis
12-21-2005, 12:20 PM

Are you talking about on groundstrokes, after the ball has hit the ground?

Ripper
12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Are you talking about on groundstrokes, after the ball has hit the ground?

Aren't we talking about serves? Serves are supposed to hit the ground (bounce) once before you can hit them back.

Midlife crisis
12-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Aren't we talking about serves? Serves are supposed to hit the ground (bounce) once before you can hit them back.

Oops! My fault. I guess I was reading another thread and thought this was about groundstrokes in general.

nViATi
12-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Also, you know it's heavy if it passes by you and you hear this whizzing sound. Like it's spinning really fast, and breaking through the air.
Just because it's going fast doesn't mean that it's a "heavy" shot.

AngeloDS
12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
I clarified that nViATi, first post :).

It's a combination of the right amount of spin and power. Too much of either, it doesn't feel heavy. Only a heavy ball can produce that certain sound, because of the spin & power it has. But you seem to enjoy wasting your time and energy on me ;). I feel flattered, that I care that much to you. Oh, and happy belated 16th birthday.

Mattle
12-22-2005, 06:49 AM
A serve with a lot of pressure ( power) but not maximum, top spin and perhaps some sidespin as well

nViATi
12-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I clarified that nViATi, first post :).

It's a combination of the right amount of spin and power. Too much of either, it doesn't feel heavy. Only a heavy ball can produce that certain sound, because of the spin & power it has. But you seem to enjoy wasting your time and energy on me ;). I feel flattered, that I care that much to you. Oh, and happy belated 16th birthday.
Just helping you clarify your post ;)
and thanks

nononsense
12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
What exactly is a heavy serve? Why is it more deadly than a fast serve?

I could give you an excellent detailed description, but you'd have to be on the other side of the net trying to return the ball.

Baffin
12-22-2005, 09:22 PM

Oh, I heard about that before but I had missed the match, has anyone got the video with that scene?

mucat
12-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Like heavy groundies, it is a combination of lots of spin and lots of pace. When you see a heavy shot coming your way, it is coming fast of course, but you will found it very difficult to judge the path of the ball, because of the heavy spin, the ball is not exactly coming at a straight line, along with the high pace, it is very tough to handle.

Then when you try to make contact with the ball, you will usually miss the sweetspot, twist your racket and result in a mishit. Even if you hit the sweetspot, you still have to counter the pace and the worse part, the spin, and the spin will twist your racket.

The sensition during contact should feel like the ball sticking to your racket.