PDA

View Full Version : Head ultra tour and Luxilon big banger alu

Ballmachine
03-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Has anyone used both strings? How do they compare? I have used ALU in a hybrid with Head fibergel, and I liked the results. I'm assuming that the ultra tour will be similar. Let me know what you think.

Hawaii 5.0
03-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I'd directly compared both and have to say that UltraTour is much softer and spongy in comarison and loses tension like a traditional poly, but not as bad so tension should be bumped a pound or so rather than dropping it like in ALU.Durability is lacking for a poly and it doesn't bite as well, but still has a surprisingly solid feel to it even for a poly.It's overpriced like ALU too though.Don't get the blue one either as it's imo inferior and doesn't play as well or hold as much tension or have the durability of the cream colored version.

jelichek
03-14-2004, 01:50 PM
It's been my experience that UltraTour (both the blue and silver) plays as well as or better than ALU in terms of power and spin and is considerably less stiff. Tension loss seems to be roughly the same as is durabilty when you factor in the difference in gauges.

Hawaii 5.0
03-15-2004, 12:02 AM
jelicheck I'm surprise my findings were so off from yours as I much prefered ALU(even though I'm not that big a fan) to UltraTour, but the only reason I could say that I much liked the cream color better was because I tested it prerelease so they may have changed the mix, but coming from a former PP user I thought that UltraTour just was lacking in power,control,(spin was about the same)and despite the guage differences.I may have to buy some sets and test the post release versions and see if they changed the recipe.

topspin
05-30-2004, 03:32 AM
I visited a tennis shop, the owner is a very experienced player and stringer. He told me that the Ultratour is better than ALU. He said both ALU and Ultratour are the polys to play with. He said to stay away from traditional polys since they do not crush like these 2 strings and therefore don't bite the ball as well. He also said to string any poly at lower tensions. I haven't tried either but I am considering giving both strings a try and see if I get the arm pain like I did with traditional polys. Also the traditional ones were awful regarding tension and maintaining any level of playability.