PDA

View Full Version : greatest shot in the history of tennis

sandy mayer
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
If I could have a shot for myself it would be the Sampras serve (1st and 2nd). Federer'sforehand is aclose second. I choose Sampras' serve because the serve is the most important shot in tennis.

s_andrean
03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
This thread has come up a few times, but I thought I would say some thing different.

Karlovic's serve has gotta be one of the greatest weapons ever. Its stupidly good.

D. Nelson
03-21-2007, 08:24 PM
...Ivo's FLAT (?!?!?!) serve up the 't' is just stupid-nuts !! I was at Sunrise last year and had a spot directly above that position.....the first one he hit....I just broke out laughing --- as an aoutomatic reaction....HHAHAHAH!!! His 'flat' serve had so much bounce on it, that if you didn't 'try' to hit it on the rise....it was just 'gone' !! I think A-Rod has served faster, but I think that Ivo's has more 'bounce' because of his height !! His 'kicker' is almost as impressive --- it just doesn't have that SPEED !!

stormholloway
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
If you had Sampras' serve you'd be on the tour, period. If you had Roger's forehand, you'd be good, but you can't win matches with just a forehand in my opinion. You can win with just a serve.

pennc94
03-22-2007, 08:18 AM
If you had Sampras' serve you'd be on the tour, period. If you had Roger's forehand, you'd be good, but you can't win matches with just a forehand in my opinion. You can win with just a serve.

Tell that to Ivo

Andres
03-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Goran's first serve and Sampras 2nd serve.

I'll take Guccione's serve over Karlovic, but only by a small margin.

tennismike33
03-22-2007, 09:00 AM

Just ask Andy Roddick!!!!!

Condoleezza
03-22-2007, 11:40 AM
If I could have a shot for myself it would be the Sampras serve (1st and 2nd). Federer'sforehand is aclose second. I choose Sampras' serve because the serve is the most important shot in tennis.

The Graf forehand.
She was called "Miss Forehand" for a reason.

Condi

stormholloway
03-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Andy has a big forehand though. I don't personally like it but it is a winning shot.

avmoghe
03-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Goran Ivanisevic - greatest first serve in history. Or maybe Sampras' second serve or the Federer forehand.

christo
03-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Supposedly Pancho Gonzalez' serve was deadly. If he had today's racquets...
Also Donald Budge's backhand was supposed to be a deadly force

federerfanatic
03-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Federer's forehand first, Budge's backhand second, Sampras's serve third, McEnroe's volleys fourth, Donald Young's second serve fifth. :)

holera
03-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Andy has a big forehand though. I don't personally like it but it is a winning shot.

not anymore. i don't know why, but roddick rarely hits his big forehand. now he hits with much more spin.

A.Davidson
03-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah, Roddick seems to have toned down his power, especially on forehands, as of late. Oh well...I always like Sampras' serve as the "best shot ever", but I think Karlovic's would certainly be up there with it.

tennismike33
03-24-2007, 05:17 PM
It isn't a shot I would like, but I remeber watching Rod Laver(yes, I can remember back that far) run down shots, then storm to net and volley away winners. Iwant Laver's legs.

migjam
03-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Seeing Roscoe Tanner drop the net at Wimbledon, when his serve hit the net cord

AndrewD
03-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Neale Fraser's serve: couldn't break eggs with his groundstrokes but won 2 US Open's and 1 Wimbledon on the strength of his serve.

slice bh compliment
03-25-2007, 03:52 AM
It isn't a shot I would like, but I remeber watching Rod Laver(yes, I can remember back that far) run down shots, then storm to net and volley away winners. Iwant Laver's legs.

Good one. Laver's legs. Roger's got 'em right now.

zapvor
03-25-2007, 05:41 AM
i thought this thread was referring to like the greatest shot made in history, not what kind of shot you consider the greatest

slice bh compliment
03-25-2007, 07:31 AM
i thought this thread was referring to like the greatest shot made in history, not what kind of shot you consider the greatest

Mac faking going in after a return to Borg, then stepping back, then actually going in, then hitting a no look FH drop volley to the corner Borg least expected it. Anyone else would have played one deep volley and waited for the pass attempt.

Connors over Panatta at the US Open. Around the net passing shot.

Roddick hits an overhead, Federer chases it down and hits a sideways overhead of his own past Roddick down the line.

Federer sliding backwards as he retrieves a lob, scoops it DTL for a winner.

Andre against Corretja at the Open. A Bucharest backfire (over the left shoulder lob retrieval, which Nastase did many times) for a winner.

Yannick Noah, Gabriela Sabatini, Goran Ivanisevic and JC Ferrero, among many others hitting a between the legs lob retrieval for a winner.

Goran serving, getting caught off guard and hitting a 1/2 volley between his legs, then winning the point.

Roger with a behind the back groundstroke against Henman at the US Open, then whipping a BH pass on the very next shot.

Hewitt and Chang running like dogs all through a point. Then flicking the perfect topspin lob winner. Again and again.

Too many to name, but those are a few that stand out in my mind.

urban
03-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Just a few days ago, I saw a Laver-Rosewall grass court match of 1970. Laver hit a miraculous backhand half volley from the baseline, after falling down and lying flat on his knees. He stretched his arm wide out and rolled to the ball like a soccer goalie, but made the pass.

peluzon
03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
La Gillete en Espanol

Chicky Maestra in English

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/3zrZbz5ZKY4ovaRCu

ibringtheHEAT
03-25-2007, 09:16 AM
I would say Roddicks serve.........but I'm just a young guy watching modern day tennis.

35ft6
03-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Sampras serve, Federer forehand, Edberg's volleys.

Zets147
03-25-2007, 02:54 PM
The Roddick Approach

TennisKevin
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
The Roddick Approach

roddick's approach shot isnt very good....

at this point in time, i'd go with federer's backhand, gonzalez's forehand, or sampras' serve

mmuubb
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Fed behind the back crosscourt pass against Suzuki
Goran hitting a forehand on his knees
Rios sitting overhead against Agassi
Sampras second serve ace against Corretja despite puking a few seconds earlier
to name a few.....

NLBwell
03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I read in Rod Laver's book about a guy who actually opened the gate and went outside the fence to chase down a lob, then got back in the point. That would have been something to see. Anyone still have the book or know who actually did it?

chaognosis
03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
The most famous shot in tennis history, and arguably the greatest, is the Budge backhand. Gonzales and Sampras probably had the most renowned serves, and there have been a great many players with legendary forehands: Johnston, Perry, Kramer, Federer, etc.

tenniko
04-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Rio's turnaround backhand return when he was wrongfooted.

i think there's a youtube video of this.

haerdalis
04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Pim Pim's serve and a healthy shoulder.
Fransisco Roigs backhand.

thelimfactor
04-04-2007, 06:34 AM
GOAT???? it has to be SANTORO's slice backhand....or...ummm...is it his forehand????? anyways, 1 of those shots.....!!!!!!!!1(1

(Only kidding guys)

dima
04-04-2007, 07:17 AM
The most famous shot in tennis history, and arguably the greatest, is the Budge backhand. Gonzales and Sampras probably had the most renowned serves, and there have been a great many players with legendary forehands: Johnston, Perry, Kramer, Federer, etc.

here comes the book again, blah blah with his 50s crap. No one cares! Besides, the "Budge backhand" isn't arguably the greatest shot in tennis, get over yourself.

Gugafan_Redux
04-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Roddick hits an overhead, Federer chases it down and hits a sideways overhead of his own past Roddick down the line.

nice list, slicebh. Scary thing is I can picture most of these.

About the above, if you're talking about Basel indoors 2002 or 2003, that shot has to be described as a leaping, at-the-back-fence, forehand overhead slice not exactly up the line, but outside the court into the court, around the net post, ON the line pass for a clean winner. Roddick stood at the center of the net totally dumbfounded, then threw his stick at Rog. Never been hit before, never will be again. And the sick thing was, it may have been his only play on the ball in a sense, but it was totally intentional.:o

killer
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll second GugaFan's choice here...i've watched that shot on youTube so many times...
Granted there have been bigger 'clutch' plays in tennis history, but for sheer intent and ridiculousity, that's gotta be it.
Best 'clutch play' to my mind has to be Iven Lendl hitting a lob winner on the line on match point against Pat Cash at USO '84 semis. Any others?

gimmig1966
04-07-2007, 10:10 PM
here comes the book again, blah blah with his 50s crap. No one cares! Besides, the "Budge backhand" isn't arguably the greatest shot in tennis, get over yourself.

Remember that shot Budge made with those two cracked O3 Tours you sold him?

tandayu
04-07-2007, 11:22 PM
The diving volley of Becker, Noah, Curren. You can't teach that to everybody.

Fossika
04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Can anyone post the youtube links to some of these vids you speak of?

slice bh compliment
04-08-2007, 12:50 AM
.... if you're talking about Basel indoors 2002 or 2003, that shot has to be described as a leaping, at-the-back-fence, forehand overhead slice not exactly up the line, but outside the court into the court, around the net post, ON the line pass for a clean winner. Roddick stood at the center of the net totally dumbfounded, then threw his stick at Rog. Never been hit before, never will be again. And the sick thing was, it may have been his only play on the ball in a sense, but it was totally intentional.:o

Absolutely, that shot demanded at least a paragraph. Well done, Gugafan.

ivan987
04-08-2007, 04:30 AM
Any videos of those points?

Jules
04-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Sampras' serve... In his prime he'd win a match if he got the break!

slice bh compliment
04-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Sampras' serve... In his prime he'd win a match if he got the break!

I see that as one of the best answers in this thread.
Was there ever a stat ... or did the dude (well-known teaching pro and coach of hotshot juniors) I heard this from make this up:

Most of the time Pete was ever down love-40 on his serve, he ended up holding serve anyway. Some ridiculously high number like 80% of the time. He did not get down often, but I kinda believe it.

Matthew
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
roddick's second serve would be awesome to have.

Radical Shot
04-09-2007, 03:19 AM
How about a "smash" by Marcelo Rios against Agassi whilst on his butt. Check out the video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYtfExEsIs&mode=related&search=

rdumonde
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
The Bucharest backfire...yes yes yes a wonderful shot. Well done slice bh compliment.

r

suwanee4712
04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Even though the game continued to evolve into more of a power game during Steffi's career, her forehand was an awesome site to behold in the late 80's. It was shocking to a lot of fans and players who were used to some big shots like Hana Mandlikova's big flat forehand or Catarina Lindqvist's one handed backhand, but nothing as consistently hard and ferocious as Steffi's forehand in the womens game. It was almost paralyzing.

For an all time single greatest shot, I loved the behind the back passing shot Hana hit against Liz Smylie at Wimbledon 1985. Liz came in off her serve and volleyed back into the deuce court behind Hana, but it clipped the net and held it up just for a moment causing Hana to overun it. No problem.........she just took a swipe behind her back (like a behind the back volley) and hit it up Liz's backhand line for a winner. Even she had to shake her head and laugh about it while Arthur Ashe said incredulously, "did you see that?"

Zimbo
04-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Best list:

Forehead: Fed
Serve: Sampras
Backhand: Safin/Agassi/Connors
Backhand volley: Edberg
Forehand volley: Mac
Footspeed: Borg
Touch: Mac
Return of serve: Agassi/Connors
Mind: Wilander

ayoPATRICIO
04-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Best list:

the only thing i would change on your list would be
Touch: Rios

Gugafan_Redux
04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
How about a "smash" by Marcelo Rios against Agassi whilst on his butt. Check out the video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYtfExEsIs&mode=related&search=

Wow, look how casually Rios plays the point, before and up until he stumbles. Never mind that it's Andre Agassi stalking the baseline at the other end. Very confident in his ability to come up with defense or offense as needed, I guess.

CEvertFan
04-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I would say out of all the 2-handed backhands in the women's game that Evert's was probably the best one of them all.

As for the serve I would have to give that one to Sampras, hands down. Such an effortless service motion and so accurate.

ivan987
04-21-2007, 04:52 AM
nice list, slicebh. Scary thing is I can picture most of these.

About the above, if you're talking about Basel indoors 2002 or 2003, that shot has to be described as a leaping, at-the-back-fence, forehand overhead slice not exactly up the line, but outside the court into the court, around the net post, ON the line pass for a clean winner. Roddick stood at the center of the net totally dumbfounded, then threw his stick at Rog. Never been hit before, never will be again. And the sick thing was, it may have been his only play on the ball in a sense, but it was totally intentional.:o

I've just found it on youtube, it's amazing!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GQHHBWbtEmA&mode=related&search=

killer
03-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Cheers for posting, ivan- saved me the trouble! As a quick aside, there are plenty of super collections of 'ridiculous' shots that you can find on youtube...spend some time searching- well worth it if you love to see the best of the best!

Djokovicfan4life
03-02-2008, 05:18 AM
If we were talking about the single greatest point it would have to be any one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d1aoIl3mUA

vive le beau jeu !
03-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Goran's first serve and Sampras 2nd serve.

I'll take Guccione's serve over Karlovic, but only by a small margin.
just for refreshing our memories... ;)
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIUYkop5tY&feature=related

damned... i miss to see these little aces smashed down !!! mmmh... this sexy noise ! :)
i find karlovic's aces not as much enjoyable...

krprunitennis2
03-02-2008, 07:23 AM
I think that Agassi's returns are the best weapons in tennis. And in my opinion, if you have those returns, you'd probably have good groundstrokes that can put you in the tour right away.

Serve n' Volley
03-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Guga's backhand! (Surprised no one said that yet) :wink:

NLBwell
03-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks for this Ivan:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GQHHBWbtE...elated&search=

After that shot, Roddick will never really believe he can beat Federer, even if they play until they are 100 years old.

HEAD/PRINCE RULE
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
What i love sampras 2nd serve but i would go with Tsonga forehand btw gasquet's backhand ain't bad either

r2473
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Best list:

Can't argue with any of this. Nice!!

On "Backhand", the choice is tough.

On "Return of Serve", I'll take Connors over Agassi. I might even take Hewitt over Agassi.

Funny that Lendl didn't make the list. Guy was a machine (almost literally).

vwfye
03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
i have the video of Mac in Stratton Mt. Vermont hitting a volley from under his feet in a match. he jumped up and hit the ball right where his feet had just been. absolutely amazing hand eye coordination!

Cup8489
03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
What i love sampras 2nd serve but i would go with Tsonga forehand btw gasquet's backhand ain't bad either

phew, thought you were serious about this fora minute..

sampras serve ftw. period. if i had that serve, i'd be blessed, and not even care about my game. just ace it up.

spiritdragon
03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
just for refreshing our memories... ;)
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIUYkop5tY&feature=related

damned... i miss to see these little aces smashed down !!! mmmh... this sexy noise ! :)
i find karlovic's aces not as much enjoyable...

lol goran's hair is funny

hoodjem
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Best list:

Yes I agree, Federer does have an amazing foreHEAD. . . kind of sloping and protruding--very Simian.

(Sorry; I couldn't resist.)

sneekynyc
03-06-2008, 12:05 PM
best list:

Forehand: Lendl
1st Serve: Rodick
2nd Serve: Edberg
Backhand: Borg
Backhand Volley: Mac
Forehand Volley: Becker
Footspeed: Mecier
Touch: Sampras
Return: Agassi/Lendl
Mind: Lendl

RomanStA
03-11-2008, 03:40 AM
the title of this thread is misleading! Greatest shot or greatest strokes?

One of the best shots i've ever seen is this running forhand by pistol pete! Check it out........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_Cpg70ZWo

Depth of shot and accuracy is just beautiful!

Nole_Destroyer
03-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Now Djokovic's forehand is the best.