PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Maria Sharapova's game!

Tenny
03-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi,
I am happily married 35 yr old man. I've picked up this wonderful sport only 2 years ago but believe I am making progress. Recently I felt I need to pick someone who I will support(well, I mean, looting as a fan) to enjoy tennis better. I picked D Nalvandian and Maria Sharapova. But I am yet to watch her game. I picked her because she is so young (just started like me) and read that she has a great work ethic (Practicing hard). I like David b/c he is a very smart player. Now, let's talk about her playing. Do you think she will make it (GS)? What's her strengthand weakness? I believe those russians must have learned some lessons from AK. As I said, I haven't seen her in action. Is her screaming louder than Monica? What should she learn to accomplish her potential if she has something great? Young talented, everybody remembers young Monica...sad.

Aonex
03-12-2004, 09:44 AM
I've seen her play a couple of times on TV at the AO and Memphis (yep, I got the Tennis Channel), and she does look promising. I'd say she's still a couple of years off from really doing damage on the tour... just needs to be more consistent. She generates a lot of power on her groundstrokes but makes too many unforced errors. I think the thing that sets her apart is her determination. She seems to be always pumping herself up during a match. Oh, and the screaming is pretty much gone... I noticed that she bites her lip when she hits the ball.

chad shaver
03-12-2004, 09:56 AM
I never noticed Seles' grunts/screams until people started harping on it. Pretty much the same case with Sharapova, but I have to admit that Sharapova could make my ears bleed with the scream she had at Wimby.

Glad to hear that she's getting rid of it. Makes it easier to focus on her game.

Anonymous
03-12-2004, 11:23 AM
She's got ridiculous game. After seeing her Down Under, I'm boldly predicting that it won't be long till she breaks into the top 5. Watch out Henin-Hardenne, Maria is better (and HOTTER) than you!

Camilio Pascual
03-12-2004, 12:44 PM
" After seeing her Down Under, I'm boldly predicting that it won't be long till she breaks into the top 5. "

Okay, MaSha, I didn't like the tone of your other posts, either, but I gotta admit, that's clever.