PDA

View Full Version : Mike's satire on the modern game: an intelligent junior player's point of view.

TalkingTennis91
03-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Watching guys like Sampras, Courier...especially Sampras. The guy had a complete game, and he implimented his incredible net game whenever possible. The guy was a serve-and-volleying machine. He won on grass, he owned the grass, he owned Wimbledon. That's tennis.

What has happened to the all-courter? Sometimes I complain about Rick and stuff like that, but the truth is that I'm incredibly grateful for the all-court game he works on with me, and the strong net game, the strong serve (which is temporarily A.W.O.L.).

Most players these days have become quite one-dimensional as far as their game goes, concerning themselves almost solely with the baseline, and that's the evolution of the game, the modern style. Which, you know, whatever. To each player his/her own style. Personally, I don't like it. But really, I'm speaking more on behalf of the men's game, the male game.

The equipment evolution is another thing that has contributed to this baseline craze. The Pure Drives, the thick-beamed, large-headed racquets that seem to be favored among today's Western-grip, baseline-crazed juniors. Also, the string. Luxilon string has greatly contributed to this craze. The ability to take wild, wristy cuts at the ball and produce ungodly topspin and keep the ball in the court. But again, that's evolution and is becoming the modern way.

Going along the lines of "to each his/her own", I choose not to partake in this style. Of course I believe that a solid baseline game is an essential part of being a good tennis player. A solid baseline game enables one to impliment the other aspects of one's game, such as coming forward, volleying. It should not be the only way to win matches though.

Freedom
03-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I think people who say the only way to play tennis nowadays is to hug the baseline should go watch a high school match. Sure, maybe the top singles players will play this "modern" style, but look at the people playing #3 singles (or what-have-you), they're crafty! Skittering all over the court, not afraid to slice or moonball...

I'm not saying this new style of play is right or wrong, all I'm saying is it's not what everybody is doing, despite what you read.