PDA

View Full Version : Favourite, but forgotten player?

Pages : [1] 2

Duzza
03-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Mine would have to be Jarkko Nieminin (sp.) he looks like the nicest guy to be around and love his style of play.

Can't forget Magnus Norman either. http://www.sverigestennismuseum.com/bilder/bild-14.jpg

BiGGieStuFF
03-23-2007, 08:50 PM
I have one but I can't seem to remember...

Duzza
03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Haha how ironic. But IMO a top 20-30 player should be recognised quite well but most outsiders go "Jarkko who?"

Kobble
03-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Enqvist. Kucera was also fun to watch.

diegaa
03-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Mariano "Tenis pro" Zabaleta

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
03-23-2007, 09:54 PM
sergi bruguerra

michaellashan
03-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Derrick Rostagno and Alberto Mancini. Rostagno was just wild on the court. Not the most graceful player Rostagno had the wild 80's surfer look and he looked ready to give everything he had in a match. Mancini just looked as cool as ice with an awesome backhand to boot.

pj80
03-23-2007, 10:20 PM
andrei medvedev

N23
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Malivai Washington

czexon
03-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, has anybody seen Edberg?? what the heck might be he doing?
czexon

galain
03-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Yannick Noah. He seems more well known for his singing these days but I always enjoyed his very unique brand of tennis.

Petr Korda was another one. The drug scandal really seemed to shut him down.

mmuubb
03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Noah-he had the style:)
Muster-it was just fun to watch how much a man can run and do loud strange voices and not get a heart attack.

kingdaddy41788
03-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Paradorn Srichaphan for sure. Mardy Fish (maybe not forgotten but not really well known either)

andreh
03-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Amos Mansdorf

OrangeOne
03-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Anke Huber (yes, I'm picking a girl. A GS final (AO) and a Women's end-of-year-final, a 5-setter against Graf no less, are nice things to retire with. And *that* smile ;))

Duzza
03-26-2007, 02:52 AM
Paradorn Srichaphan for sure. Mardy Fish (maybe not forgotten but not really well known either)

I sure haven't forotten Paradorn.

pj80
03-26-2007, 03:07 AM
how about gilbert schaller...i bet none of you know who that is

Duzza
03-26-2007, 03:10 AM

AUT Davis Cup Captain ;)

slice bh compliment
03-26-2007, 03:13 AM

beat pete at roland once

Good ones, guys:
Zabaleta (with that hair)
Rostagno, Mancini, Yannick Noah, Kucera, Korda, Bruguera.

If I may add a couple: Guy Forget, Henri Leconte, Jakob Hlasek, Pat Cash, Emilio and Javier Sanchez. Well, I guess it is tough to count Noah, Korda, Bruguera and Cash as forgotten. Their names are on Slam trophies.

Off the top of my head, here are a few lesser lights I thought well of:
Karsten Braasch, Hendrik Dreekmann, Marcelo Rios, Jacco Eltingh, Nicolas Pereira, Diego Nargiso, Gianluca Pozzi, Gene Mayer, Eric Fromm, Ben Testerman, Per Hjertquist, Thierry Tulasne, Thierry Champion, Bob Charmichael, Owen K. Davidson, Mal Anderson, Ramanathan and his son Ramesh Krishnan, Johan Kriek, Jimmy Arias, Jay Lapidus, Wojtek Fibak, Jose Luis Clerc, Brad Drewett, Simon Youl, Mark Kratzmann, Leonardo Lavalle, Jared Palmer, David Nainkin, Rodolphe Gilbert, Paolo Cane, Ricardo Acuna, Cassio Motta, Carlos Kirmayr, Victor Pecci, Hugo Chapacu, Victor Amaya, Antonio Zugarelli, Corrado Barazzutti, Lennart Bergelin, Sven Davidson, Abe Vigoda, Pat DuPre, Claudio Panatta, Patrick McEnroe, Cedric Kaufmann, Freddie McNair, Shelby Cannon, Jean-Phillippe Fleurian, Minhea Nastase, Florin Segarceanu, Martin Jaite, Joao Cunha Silva, Jaime Oncins, Alex Antonitsch, Markus Hipfl, Sasa Hirszon, Oleg Ogodorov, Andrei Chesnokov, Alexander Volkov, Magnus Larsson, Juan Aguilera, Shlomo Glickstein, Harel Levy, Fino Meligeni, Pato Clavet, Tom Carbonell, David Prinosil, Alex Radulescu, Jai DiLouie, Tomas Smid, Michiel Schapers, Slobodan Zivojinovic, Luca Brazzi, Haroon Ismael, Tamer al Sawy, Ishmael El Shafei, Sandon Stolle, Alex O'Brien, Robert Seguso, Ken Flach, Doug Flach, Diego Perez, Carlos Goffi, Roberto Carretero, Anders Jarryd, Joakim Nystrom, Stefan Simonsson, Hans Simonsson, Andread Vinciguerra, Richey Reneberg, Rick Leach, John Frawley, Rod Frawley, John Alexander, John Fitzgerald, Wally Masur, Eric Korita, Chip Hooper, Chris Lewis, Vijay Amritraj, Martin Laurendeau, Sebastian Lareau, Sebastian Grosjean, Chris Pridham, Barry Cowan, Jamie Delgado, Ramon Delgado, Jerry Garcia, Paul Haarhuis, Andrei Cherkasov, Andrea Gaudenzi, Daniele Musa....the list goes on.

I think my favorite, but forgotten player is....
anyone remember that guy, Mark Philippoussis at all?

OrangeOne
03-26-2007, 03:20 AM
beat pete at roland once

Who didn't? ;)

K. Wilson Moose
03-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Little Mandy Coetzer, one of the fittest women players ever.

http://www.amandacoetzer.de/images/acfan_3_29.jpg

jaykay
03-26-2007, 05:33 AM
Ramesh Krishnan, the magician from India. Powder puff serve but incredible hands at the net. 8 singles titles. Reached semi-finals at Wimbledon.

pennc94
03-26-2007, 05:36 AM
Miloslav Mecir.

One of the smoothest players I have ever seen. I do not like watching 2 handed backhands, but his was a beauty.

retrowagen
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I think my faves are some of the lesser-sung Swedes of the 80's and 90's:

Anders Jarryd
Joachim Nystrom
Jonas B. Svensson
Magnus Larsson

All were good guys who looked like they really enjoyed what they were doing on the court and off (except when a loony fan blew up Larsson's house while he was on tour!).

I also liked "The Big Cat" Mecir, one of the most analytical players of the game (and one who made it look so easy). Sadly, he had his career cut short by back problems.

Really, none of these guys made "household name" status (at least outside their homelands, perhaps), but I liked them.

serveitup911
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Jay Lapidus - Head Coach for Duke now

Cedric Kaufmann - Assistant coach for Kentucky

Freddie McNair - Was a great player at UNC

Ken Flach - Was head coach at Vanderbilt

Richey Reneberg, Rick Leach - My coach growing trained with these guys

snapple
03-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Harold Solomon & Eddie Dibbs (AKA the Bagel Brothers)

jaykay
03-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Miloslav Mecir.

One of the smoothest players I have ever seen. I do not like watching 2 handed backhands, but his was a beauty.

x2 for Mecir.

Moose Malloy
03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Ramesh Krishnan, the magician from India. Powder puff serve but incredible hands at the net. 8 singles titles. Reached semi-finals at Wimbledon.

Reached the QF, not the semis.

LeftyServe
03-26-2007, 12:01 PM

Anders Jarryd
Joachim Nystrom
Jonas B. Svensson
Magnus Larsson

All were good guys who looked like they really enjoyed what they were doing on the court and off (except when a loony fan blew up Larsson's house while he was on tour!).

I also liked "The Big Cat" Mecir, one of the most analytical players of the game (and one who made it look so easy). Sadly, he had his career cut short by back problems.

Really, none of these guys made "household name" status (at least outside their homelands, perhaps), but I liked them.

All of the above, for sure, but how about Kent Carlsson? That's my vote. A true supernova; if I recall correctly, he won 6 consecutive clay court titles in '87 or '88, but unfortunately his career was cut short by a debilitating knee injury.

slice bh compliment
03-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Some good ones from the 80s on this page.

Hey, anyone remember Hicham Arazi? Has he retired?

What a game! Sometimes.

vive le beau jeu !
03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
forgotten ?
former top players like mecir, noah... i don't consider them forgotten !

ummm... anyone remember marc goellner ? he had a good 1993 season, but never really went to the "next level"...

arazi, maybe... but i still don't consider him forgotten ! ;)
paes (as a single player) was funny to watch too...

killer
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
How's about the guy with the best name in tennis: Slobodan Zivojinovic! let's go BOBO! Actually he played a superb match vs lendl at Wimbledon in the mid 80s...(IIRC)

vive le beau jeu !
03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
How's about the guy with the best name in tennis: Slobodan Zivojinovic! let's go BOBO! Actually he played a superb match vs lendl at Wimbledon in the mid 80s...(IIRC)
ah yes this one too ! :)
i remember his match vs wilander at RG 1988, where he was leading (i think) 5-2 in the 5th set before losing 7-5...
it was an exciting match to see... for the proto-tennisfan that i was ! ;)

retrowagen
03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh yeah: what ever happened to Marc Rosset, the tall, hard servin' Swiss (Switzerland's Number One before Whatshisname turned pro)?

Amongst the women pros, I had a soft spot in my heart for Claudia Kohde-Kilsch.

chrisx
03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Juan Balcells.

A Spanish pure serve and volleyer. Is that an oxymoron? I remember watching him play against Agassi in the final of Scottsdale 2002 on TV. I believe he serve and volleyed on both 1st and 2nd serves. He actually managed to take the second set to a tiebreaker.

He's a big guy. I believe they said on TV that his dad was a weightlifter or bodybuilder. Of course, he's got the big sideburns. He also made his mark against the US Davis Cup team after John McEnroe remarked "Who the hell is Juan Balcells".

kalic
03-27-2007, 12:05 AM
ah yes this one too ! :)
i remember his match vs wilander at RG 1988, where he was leading (i think) 5-2 in the 5th set before losing 7-5...
it was an exciting match to see... for the proto-tennisfan that i was ! ;)

+Legendary match against McEnroe. When Mac was in his usually "fight" with chairman, Zivojinovic took sandwich from his tennisbag and eat them in his chair

Gundam
03-27-2007, 01:10 AM
andrei medvedev, Kucera, Magnus Norman, Amos Mansdorf

What were they playing style? BTW, is Mansdorf the player with College student hairdo from Israel?

BTW, I vote for Mecir. Enigma...

morten
03-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Carratero, won a atp event ranked in the 140s, never heard of him since, also Arazi, plays this week, a comeback.

pj80
03-27-2007, 04:28 AM
bernd karbacher...

sandy mayer
03-27-2007, 05:22 AM
I would go for Mecir. Quite forgotten and a real magician. Gomez is very forgotten for a player who won the French. Tim Mayotte doesn't get mentioned much though he was a top 16 player for a very long time.

Craig Sheppard
03-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Slobodan Zivojinovic! I don't remember a thing about his game, but I never got enough of the announcers saying his name. heh. :)

OrangeOne
03-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Slobodan Zivojinovic! I don't remember a thing about his game, but I never got enough of the announcers saying his name. heh. :)

Played with a similar racquet to Becker for a while there? Big hulk of a guy?

Trying to remember bits myself here....

Craig Sheppard
03-27-2007, 05:55 AM

Haha beat me too it--shame on me for not reading all the previous posts! :)

Craig Sheppard
03-27-2007, 05:58 AM
All this talk of good/great players that have been forgotten... makes you wonder why they're not coaching somewhat prominent players, even if just for their own country. Edberg, Mecir, Enqvist, Brugera, Muster, Washington... they could teach these young whipper snappers a thing or two...hundred.

Edberg I could understand, he's such a reserved guy I'd bet he's enjoying family life. But he was so good, so natural... but maybe it's so natural it's hard to pass on/explain.

jaykay
03-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Great thread... going down nostalgia lane!

Edberg could hardly be termed 'forgotten', but I completely agree with you, Craig, it is a little sad that he has completely withdrawn from the public eye. He was a genius, such fluid grace, poetry in motion really...

Isn't Mashona Washington Malivai's kid? Malivai was another really good player, but sadly a 1-trick pony; handful of titles with a semi's showing at Wimby (I think).

Besides Slobodan Zivojinovic, the giant with the booming serve in the late 80's / early 90's; there was also a big Japanese player who had a HUGE serve. He had some high-profile Davis Cups wins; top-50 dude with couple of titles. I think Shuzo Matsuoka was his name..., anybody remember him?

snapple
03-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Anyone remember Steve Denton? He got to #12 in the world in the early 80s with a HUGE serve but pretty much nothing else to his game.

slice bh compliment
03-27-2007, 07:08 AM
...Isn't Mashona Washington Malivai's kid?

Sibling.

Shuzo Matsuoka. Dubious distincion: he cramped really badly in a match, and the trainer was not permitted to help him. It was really painful. Painful to even watch. Loss of condition rule. Now sometimes known as the Shuzo Matsuoka rule. It's been overturned and abused of late.

slice bh compliment
03-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Anyone remember Steve Denton? He got to #12 in the world in the early 80s with a HUGE serve but pretty much nothing else to his game.

Yes. He even had a strange little walk/hop leading up to his serve.

Is he a college coach now? Maybe somewhere in Texas, if I recall. I remember when he put on an exo between Connors and Mac back in like 98. Corpus Christi. Seems like a nice guy.

I've got a few more names for you guys. A small list of players who are gone, but remembered for good runs at Wimbledon:
Tim Mayotte, Paul Chamberlain, Dan Goldie and Richard Matuszewski, and John Frawley.

Oh, SNAPple...do you remember who was the top pro who endorsed Snapple? (I think it was Snapple Sport)

snapple
03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Oh, SNAPple...do you remember who was the top pro who endorsed Snapple? (I think it was Snapple Sport)

You got me on that one - I really should know more about moniker shouldn't I :)

Also, two other names that come to mind are Martin Jaite and Jaime Yzuga, who I recall giving Sampras fits at the '94 Open.

retrowagen
03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Played with a similar racquet to Becker for a while there? Big hulk of a guy?

Trying to remember bits myself here....

No, he was a Prince man, played the Prince Boron 110 most notably, not Puma/Estusa like BB. The connection with BB is that they were both represented by Ion Tiriac and were often hitting partners. Bobo was supposed to be the big follow-up to Becker's success in Tiriac's stable, but seemingly when the Balkan peninsula received its political shakeup in the late 80's, he dropped off the international tennis radar and has yet to resurface.

He was fun to watch on the court, though, with his ultra laid-back style, quick smiles and that buggywhip forehand.

retrowagen
03-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Also, two other names that come to mind are Martin Jaite and Jaime Yzuga, who I recall giving Sampras fits at the '94 Open.

I remember early in Jaite's career, he arrived at a tournament with no tennis shoes. He played a match (I think it was against Lendl) wearing running shoes! If I recall correctly, he was one of the few pros using the Prince Woodie back when it was current.

retrowagen
03-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Oh yeah: after Amanda Coetzer, how about some other South Africans:
Johan Kriek (one of the speediest guys on foot ever) and Kevin Curren (ex Texas Longhorn and Wimby finalist)?

Rabbit
03-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Little Mandy Coetzer, one of the fittest women players ever.

http://www.amandacoetzer.de/images/acfan_3_29.jpg

Moose, I was waiting..... :)

Harold Solomon & Eddie Dibbs (AKA the Bagel Brothers)

You stole my thunder! Yep, Fast Eddie Dibbs and Harold "Moon boy" Solomon. I miss watching those two guys for sure.

And Karsten Braasch

Kirko
03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Hans Gildemeister, his brother Fritz lived at the same tennis & golf club I did in Reno,NV. I got to seem him hit with his brother when he would visit.

K. Wilson Moose
03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
And Karsten Braasch

Ah yes, the chain smoking German, who once drank a 6 pack of beer during a golf round, had a sensible cigarette or two, and then spanked both of the Williams sisters.

retrowagen
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Was Mikey Chang, wasn't it?

Anyone out there in remember Rodney Harmon? How about Tim "Dr. Dirt" Wilkison?

snapple
03-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Forgot all about Dr. Dirt - a tennis player with a football players attitude the way he used to lunge around the court before Becker popularized it. I remember (to my dismay) he upset Jose Louis Clerc at the '82 US Open.

Kirko
03-27-2007, 11:34 AM

yeah Wilikison he made quite a run at the 85 U.S. Open.

Kirko
03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
David Pate from Las Vegas saw him play the final at the Pilot Pen tournament in Palm Springs in 85 against Jaime Yzaga.

thomas martinez
03-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Actually Bobo did end up with the Pumas, even at oen point when partnering Boris in doubles playing the same PUma Super. Another one people are forgetting, Milan Sjreber, and what about Helena Sukova? Shuzo he used to be called the kind of qualifying. And is to this day a god in Japan still. Really really underrated player he was.

alwaysatnet
03-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Hana Mandlikova,Mecir(or course),Henri Leconte,Guy Forget,Jana Novotna. I remember Johan Kriek beating McEnroe in San Francisco. He was the Jimmy Wynn( a forgotten baseball star) of tennis. Short but powerful.

slice bh compliment
03-28-2007, 03:28 AM
The guy with a snapple patch and a television ad for snapple:

Ivan Lendl. They did a Sports version for a while: Snap-Up. Lendl and his tiny li'l shorts were featured on the poster and on the tv ad. It was almost as good as his Ben-Gay spot.

retrowagen, I did not recall Chang endorsing Snapple. But I trust you. What is it about Lendl and Chang? Hmm, let's get two tennis players with as low a Q rating as possible to say they drink our product. They'll make our lady behind the counter really stand out!

What ever happened to Snapple, anyway? Maybe people figured out that it was basically sugarwater.

slice bh compliment
03-28-2007, 04:34 AM

Dr. Dirt is perfect for this thread.

Rodney Harmon, yeah...he used to bounce the ball right before his return of serve. Him and Marcel Freeman both had deals with Levi's tennis apparel.

Nick Saviano is another one for this thread. Used a Head Edgewood or a Head Vilas, if I recall.

Oh, what about Jay Berger?

urban
03-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Someone remembers Jeff Borowiak? Was a nice, upcoming player in the early 70s. A sort of a hippy, intellectual and artist - i think a musician -, who followed the ways of the tennis guru himself, Torben Ulrich. He won ( or was runner up) in the first WCT event, he played, at Cologne in 1971, against all the leading players of the day. I think he never reached the top ten.

John Galt
03-28-2007, 05:13 AM
Vijay Amritraj. For some reason this guy's name comes to mind. I was watching a practice session of his at Stratton Mountain many (many :( ) years ago and his strokes were absolutely fluid. Smooth footwork and a really class person. He hung with the crowd for quite a while and talked tennis

Kirko
03-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Someone remembers Jeff Borowiak? Was a nice, upcoming player in the early 70s. A sort of a hippy, intellectual and artist - i think a musician -, who followed the ways of the tennis guru himself, Torben Ulrich. He won ( or was runner up) in the first WCT event, he played, at Cologne in 1971, against all the leading players of the day. I think he never reached the top ten.

I remember him. I saw him play in the Nevada Open in Reno, NV in 1980. that tournament "pulled in" a lot of good players from the Bay Area. Brad Gilbert played there also.

snapple
03-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Rodney Harmon, yeah...he used to bounce the ball right before his return of serve.

Is that legal? To bounce a ball while waiting to receive serve just before the other player begins his serve?

retrowagen
03-28-2007, 09:24 AM
The guy with a snapple patch and a television ad for snapple:

Ivan Lendl. They did a Sports version for a while: Snap-Up. Lendl and his tiny li'l shorts were featured on the poster and on the tv ad. It was almost as good as his Ben-Gay spot.

retrowagen, I did not recall Chang endorsing Snapple. But I trust you. What is it about Lendl and Chang? Hmm, let's get two tennis players with as low a Q rating as possible to say they drink our product. They'll make our lady behind the counter really stand out!

Oh, that's right! My bad, having recently read Chang's autobiography and having read him sing the praises of Snapple beverages for a few paragraphs, I thought it was him. But now I do recall seeing Lendl hawk Snapple! (I think Snapple was banking on the "health nut" angle, not the "cheery personality" angle)

Dour Lendl as a Ben-Gay spokesmodel was also classic! But my fave was his full-page headshot ad in RayBan aviators (the State Trooper specs), Adidas argyle shirt, toothy grin, and all. Cool, man.

retrowagen
03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Oh, what about Jay Berger?

Berger-meister Meister-berger? Wasn't he sponsored by Dr. Scholl's, Tylenol, and Ace Bandage?

I still have nightmares about that service motion of his. Scary.

gmonfils
03-28-2007, 11:08 AM
How about

Chip Hooper I believe he was 6-6 and a super athlete!

David Pate's doubles partner I believe was Gary Donnelly

and last but not least world #4... 2 hands off both sides Gene Mayer!

retrowagen
03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Here's a little more: anyone remember the Best (chain catalog store) Tennis Team of circa 1983? They sponsored up-and comers Rodney Harmon, Chip Hooper, Mel Purcell (a.k.a. Huck Finn) and Elliot Telscher?

A couple years later, the chain of stores went the way of the dodo bird, as did the careers of these guys...

drakulie
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
I would have to go with Noah.

slice bh compliment
03-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Yes, great answer. Jeff Borowiak and his brother Scott. I actually warmed up with Jeff right before a pro-am in the mid/early 90s. I think he lives is Seattle. He drove up in a modest, aging Honda Accord with Washington plates.

We're getting our bags out of our trunks.....Jeff takes out a pigskin, and tosses it to me. Gradually, we're going almost the length of the parking lot. Nice spiral. We went inside, warmed up and checked in. Totally humble, nice guy. Total control over each and every ball.

K. Wilson Moose
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
He drove up in a modest, aging Honda Accord with Washington plates.

We're getting our bags out of our trunks.....Jeff takes out a pigskin, and tosses it to me. Gradually, we're going almost the length of the parking lot. Nice spiral.

Good stuff, gotta love a guy who can chunk the foosball.

Noveson
03-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Yannick Noah. He seems more well known for his singing these days but I always enjoyed his very unique brand of tennis.

Petr Korda was another one. The drug scandal really seemed to shut him down.

If Yannick acted anything like his son, I don't want to remember him. Florida basketball sucks!!!:p

rjkardo
03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Bettina Bunge

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Mine definitely would be Derrick Rostagno, I always loved to watch him play. Miloslav Mecir, certainly, always amazing slinking about the court. Slobodan Zivojinivic yes...still have that match against Lendl on VHS, dark haired, extremely tall, looked like he'd could eat 3 or 4 toddlers at a single sitting. Big serve..sad about his son years later..by the by. I liked watching Aaron Krickstein as well. Paul Haarhuis...

Trinity TC
03-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Paolo Bertolucci. Little guy with a beautiful game. Won Davis Cup for Italy back in 1976.

Peter McNamara. Used to play at our dinky little club in Toronto when he was rehabbing from a knee injury.

Jeff Borowiak was also NCAA champ when he was at UCLA. Smooooth service motion. All of the tennis mags made a big stink that he wouldn't make it on tour because he used a modified eastern forehand grip on his backhand volley.

snapple
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Brian Teacher - classic S & V game

Elliot Teltsher - top tenner from early 80s, rival of Mac's in the juniors, awkward style but very tenacious.

Henrik Sundstrom - heavy topspinning Swedish baseliner (any other kind except Edberg) who had some big Davis Cup wins over Mac and/or Connors I believe.

urban
03-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Paolo Bertolucci looked, as if he was eating even more pasta than Panatta. Another good player with a beautiful smooth game was the Pole Wojtek Fibak. He played a bit like Edberg later, and for a while seemed to be the next great European star behind Borg. But he never made the breakthrough at the big events. He lost once rather unluckily to Orantes in the Masters at Houston (1976?). And he mentored the young Lendl. Today, he is however probably the richest tennis player (alongside Tiriac). Invested with great success in art, and is the biggest art collector in Poland.

lethalfang
03-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Alexandra Stevenson: a flash in the pan

triplefault
03-29-2007, 06:02 PM
OK, from the 70's...Ismail El Shafei. I was excited about seeing Rod Laver play for the first time and I watch Laver lose to Izzy El Shafei of Egypt in three sets. He was the only other pro at that time,with the exception of Cliff Drysdale and Frew McMillan , that I remember having a two-handed backhand.

Also .... Pierre Barthes of France

Frank Froehling...also known as spiderman.

alwaysatnet
03-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I met and played a bit with this guy. Very gentlemanly and a nice guy but he definitely had his own point of view. Very unforgetable.

diegaa
03-29-2007, 08:53 PM
how about zina garrison?

Also, Guillermo Perez Roldan has a good couple of seasons. BIG forehand.

dowjones
03-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Colin Dibley

Colin Dibley (born September 19, 1944 in Sydney, NSW) is a former tennis player from Australia, who once held the title for the fastest serve in the world at 148 m.p.h. During his professional career, he also won four singles and seventeen doubles titles. The righthander reached his highest individual ranking on the ATP Tour on September 26, 1973, when he became the number 35 in the world. After retiring in 1980, he took up real estate, still keeping himself in the game through coaching others.

148 mph with a wooden racket! Can you imagine what this guy would pump out with today's technology!!

slice bh compliment
03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Another big server: John Feaver, of England. Yes, that was his real name.

vive le beau jeu !
03-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Hey, anyone remember Hicham Arazi? Has he retired?

What a game! Sometimes.
he's playing the QF at the fes challenger today !
would be cool if he managed to win the tournament... ;)

slice bh compliment
03-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Fez...a Challenger in his own country. This is like Dre playing a Challenger in Vegas, almost.

Allez Hicham!

vive le beau jeu !
03-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Fez...a Challenger in his own country. This is like Dre playing a Challenger in Vegas, almost.

Allez Hicham!
he unfortunately lost... :(
http://www.sportmarocweb.com/fes2007/SCORESonline.htm

N23
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM

Edberg could hardly be termed 'forgotten', but I completely agree with you, Craig, it is a little sad that he has completely withdrawn from the public eye. He was a genius, such fluid grace, poetry in motion really...

Isn't Mashona Washington Malivai's kid? Malivai was another really good player, but sadly a 1-trick pony; handful of titles with a semi's showing at Wimby (I think).

Besides Slobodan Zivojinovic, the giant with the booming serve in the late 80's / early 90's; there was also a big Japanese player who had a HUGE serve. He had some high-profile Davis Cups wins; top-50 dude with couple of titles. I think Shuzo Matsuoka was his name..., anybody remember him?

Malivai actually made the Wimbledon final in 1996 against another guy we all forgot about... Richard Krajicek. Another great player.

I gotta add Michael Chang. Oh... where did you go?

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-30-2007, 08:07 AM
how about zina garrison?

I liked to watch her play also, she had such a "nervous" way of moving about when returning service..

slice bh compliment
03-30-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.sportmarocweb.com/fes2007/DAILYPICS/tv014.jpgNot gone, not forgotten. Hell of a player, but struggling. Merci, Vive le beau jeu, for the link.

rmiller774
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Poor Rodney Harmon. I strung for him and my bad stringing possibly ended his career although he did beat Vilas in Mason Ohio one morning but because the tournament was behind he had to play again that afternoon, lost, so he didn't even have a full day to enjoy his Vilas win. A fine but greatly under-rated coach, Willis Thomas coached him, Zina and Lori.

!Tym
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Umm...Mashona's Mal's sister, not kid. Malivai Washington though was one of my favorite players to watch, I loved the solid elegance of his strokes. There was no bull-shi...t.

For me, my favorite but forgotten player is Mal and Med--Medvedev that is. Also, Guy Forget.

I don't think they delivered enough on tour to be considered forgotten, but Byron Shelton and David Wheaton were nice but forgotten players to watch.

I loved watching Byron Shelton's service motion.

Regarding, guys like Bruguera, Edberg, et. all not coaching; I think it just has to do with them not really being the types who enjoyed the limelight...AT ALL. These were guys who really didn't enjoy being in the public eye and went out of their way to avoid it. Bruguera for a long-time had a reputation as being the anti-interview, anti-press. And in his prepared retirement statement actually apologized to the press about this tendency, saying that he was never really comfortable in the spotlight.

A guy like Brad Gilbert, you get the feeling that he wants to be a star in old age as much as he did when he was young. ...remember, the old Agassi quote about him?

Also, you have to factor in that a lot of these retired pros get queasy in the stomach at the thought of having to take on anymore frequent flier miles. Some people feel like they need to be around the action, like they need the action, like it's an additcion, like moths to the flame, or Michael Jordan from competition and gambling; these two weren't/aren't like that at all.

CyBorg
07-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Interesting to mention that Ulrich is the father of Lars, the Metallica drummer. He was a hippy-looking fellow with long, flowing hair and a handlebar moustache flowing into a full beard.

Very exotic-looking. He looks like a biker now.

CyBorg
07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
For me, Metreveli was quite well known in my younger days, where I was from.

More recently, Andrei Chesnokov was a favorite. Talented guy, but more importantly very funny. Very witty. I don't know if he was forgotten though. Medvedev was another quick-witted guy.

Warriorroger
07-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Derrick Rostagno

snapple
07-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Henrick Sundstrom and Joachim Nystrom, the latter of whom had one of the smoothest 2 handed backhands around.

Tennisfan!
07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
For me, Metreveli was quite well known in my younger days, where I was from.

Agree, and Pietrangeli.:)

Murray_Maniac
07-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Ive only been watching tennis for a few years, & the 1st post included current pros, Ill have to say Tommy Robredo. Although he probably isnt in my top 10 favorite players, he's my favorite current player thats completely under the radar.

miniRafa386
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
the rockin moraccan younes el aynaoui

grizzly4life
07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
a bunch of good names in here.

about 7 people beat me to miroslav mecir, the big cat.

also,

bobo
leconte
andres gomez

and a few canadian names:
nicholas perreira (yes, moved to canada)
martin wostenholme
chris pridham
grant connell

ok, the canadian part was somewhat pointless...... the big cat, by far.

Tennis Fan
07-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Just like my avatar shows, I really liked Goran Ivanisevic. He had a unique sense of humor. I'm so glad when he finally won Wimbledon against Patrick Rafter! The look on Goran's face was priceless.

sunnyIce
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Hmm....
goran
rios
korda
edberg
paes

oberyn
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Hana Mandlikova

Stefan Edberg

heftylefty
07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Nduka Odizor; reached the quarters at Wimby in 1986

snapple
07-08-2008, 10:59 AM
chip hooper
kent carlson
martin jaite
hans gildermeister
brian teacher
elliot teltcsher
kevin curren
johan kriek

AV1
07-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Henri Leconte
Jose Luis Clerc

Jdavid
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Two of my old favorites

Arthur Ashe
Vitas Gerulaitis

RIP

jaggy
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Gene Mayer, Krishnan, Annabel Croft (something about posh English bints always did it for me)

caesar66
07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
he's not all that forgotten I guess but I have always liked Max Mirnyi

morten
07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Natalie Tauziat!

Steady Eddy
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I think my favorite, but forgotten player is....
anyone remember that guy, Mark Philippoussis at all?
Of course! The Australian with the monster serve.

I saw him play as like an opening act in an exhibition. He was playing the Wimbledon junior champion. They played about even, and no one was paying much attention until he decided to start using that monster serve of his. It shocked the whole crowd into silence.

chip hooper
kent carlson
martin jaite
hans gildermeister
brian teacher
elliot teltcsher
kevin curren
johan kriek
Remember when Becker won his first Wimbledon? He won by beating Curren in the final. I didn't think that nobody Becker (at that time) had a chance. I saw Kreik play Connors in an exhibition. They had some truly incredible rallies.

Preacher
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Aaron Krickstein. Usually only at the US Open.

PS: Conners can get stuffed. As politely as I can put that.

Don S
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Younes El Aynaoui - The Rockin' Moroccan. I was at the US OPen in 2003 and saw him win an unbelievable 5 setter against Juri Novak. I think I read somewhere that Younes was the driver for his tennis team or something like that.

Others
Gene and Sandy Mayer
Andrea Jaeger
Andrea Temesavari
Carling Bassett

robby c
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Butch Walts(z). He had the hottest wife of any tennis player.

Kirko
07-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Hans Gildemeister and Eddie Dibbs.

loner1984
07-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Roberto Carretero. He was a literal tennis one hit wonder. I bet nobody here has even heard or remember the guy.

Gemini
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Roberto Carretero. He was a literal tennis one hit wonder. I bet nobody here has even heard or remember the guy.

Lone1984..

I'll take that bet. Beat Alex Corretja in the German Open (Hamburg) final. Think it was 1996.

Also <off-topic> but I see you're in Atlanta too.

My favorite forgotten player....Alberto Mancini

CEvertFan
07-09-2008, 03:57 PM
You guys have covered the men pretty well, so I'll name some women:

Amy Frazier
Patty Fendick
Lisa Raymond
Amanda Coetzer
Manuela Maleeva
Natalia Zvereva
Raffaella Reggi
Nathalie Tauziat
Judith Weisner
Sabine Appelmans
Leila Meskhi
Larisa Savchenko-Neiland
Julie Halard-Decugis
Lori McNeil
Andrea Temesvari
Barbara Potter
Stephanie Rehe
Peanut Harper
Sylvia Hanika
Claudia Kohde-Kilsch
Olga Morozova
Sue Barker
Betty Stove
Jo Durie
Carling Bassett-Seguso
Robin White
Gigi Fernandez
Caterina Lindqvist

fridrix
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Favorite but forgotten? Don't forget Maria Sharapova. :-?

slice bh compliment
07-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Maria who? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with her.

Maria Bueno, the amazing Brazilian player?

Jdavid
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Evonne Goolagong

Vince Van Patten :-P

jmsx521
07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Some of my favorite past players:
Korda, Rios, Berasategui, Pescosolido, Pozzi, Furlan, Mansdorf, Enqvist, Ivanisevic, Radulescu, G. Raoux, Alonso, Pioline, Delaitre, Escude, Squillari, Draper, Tiilikainen, Szumanski, Karbacher, Boetsch, Belobrajdic, Filippini, and and there was an Australian guy from the late 80s, early 90s (1HBH and muscular built), but I always forget his name.

slice bh compliment
07-10-2008, 02:01 AM
...there was an Australian guy from the late 80s, early 90s (1HBH and muscular built), but I always forget his name.

Patrick Cash?

DarthMaul
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Anyone remembers Ilie "Nasty" Nastase? :)

jmsx521
07-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Patrick Cash?No, that's not who I am thinking about. The guy was a bit more massive and muscular, but not tall.

DMan
07-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Henri Leconte

Jdavid
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
No, that's not who I am thinking about. The guy was a bit more massive and muscular, but not tall.

Jason Stoltenberg?

ohlori
07-11-2008, 04:47 AM
No, that's not who I am thinking about. The guy was a bit more massive and muscular, but not tall.

dunno

10 char

slice bh compliment
07-11-2008, 05:53 AM

Oh definitely, one of the all-time great caricatures of the sport. What a talented player. And a great tennis player, too!

The smooth movement, large serve, heavy spins off both sides, and ridiculous touch. Great on clay, great on grass. My earliest sports memory (as a 3 and a half year old sitting between my father and grandfather) was Ilie's 1972 Forest Hills triumph over the great Arthur Ashe. Yeah, I named a pet or two after each of them over the years.

I am just sad he'll be remembered as a cut-up, a gigantic waste of talent, and a buffoon. The guy was a seriously amazing athlete and a charismatic gentleman. Not always on the court, though.

loner1984
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Lone1984..

I'll take that bet. Beat Alex Corretja in the German Open (Hamburg) final. Think it was 1996.

Also <off-topic> but I see you're in Atlanta too.

My favorite forgotten player....Alberto Mancini

Wow, looks like you and I are the only ones who remember. Yeah Atlanta is a great tennis town.

moonbat
07-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Allez Hicham!

His match against Rafter at the US Open was a classic. As a Rafter fan, it scared the hell out of me!

drop shot
07-13-2008, 09:25 PM
My all-time favorite, Shlomo Glickstein! Legs looked like friggin tree trunks LOL

Steady Eddy
07-13-2008, 09:42 PM

Who could forget him? The tennis bad boy before McEnroe took over. Also, he had beautiful strokes. He was a graceful player.

matchmaker
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
One player I liked to watch when he was on was Jaime Yzaga, a Peruvian. His match at the FO against Michael Chang was one of the most enjoyable I have ever seen.

heathcliff
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
anyone remember bryan shelton? a former college-player who once almost defeated courier but unfortunately lost in 5 sets. ...a good player - won 2 tournaments (both in newport) and it was a plessure to watch him

slice bh compliment
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, tall brother who played for Georgia Tech. Serve and volleyer, beat the great Michael Stich at Wimbledon once, too. Now serves as women's coach at Georgia Tech.

ruerooo
07-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Rafter.

Rawr.

heathcliff
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
what about john fitzgerald? some have written here that he was one of the best s&v-player

morten
07-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Marc Rosset, Amos Mansdorf, Michael Tebutt, Georg Bastl, Henrik Holm, Kenneth Carlsen.

jayserinos99
07-17-2008, 02:11 AM
and there was an Australian guy from the late 80s, early 90s (1HBH and muscular built), but I always forget his name.

Don't think he was around in the late 80s, early 90s, but is it Andrew Ilie?

Favorite but forgotten player for me was Karsten Braasch.

0d1n
07-17-2008, 03:50 AM
I really liked Arnaud Boetsch.
Beautiful all court game, great to watch. I think his athletic ability (or lack thereof) and mental game let him down.

Edit
A couple of clips with him playing against 2 players I also absolutely loved (but they are not forgotten ;) ).
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Z-MaFtHfs
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3b976F7LO1Q

And one of his 3 (I think) titles won against Courier
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfELPVkWkM

heathcliff
07-17-2008, 05:02 AM
doubles team davis / pate - where did their nickname "nasty boys" come from ?

ohlori
07-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Michael Tauson was a weird brainless ballbasher who I once saw on TV.
He was very stocky too. Would be funny too see some footage again, but he only peaked at number 101.

slice bh compliment
07-17-2008, 07:44 AM

They dressed badly and liked Janet Jackson songs?

retrowagen
07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
They showed up for a match wearing those old Oakley Blades sunglasses [cue small barf burp in mouth], and immediately got the moniker by the brilliant media of the day. "Like, gimme some attitude, man! That's XTREME!!!" etc. They stuck with the shades schtick for a while. Davis even got his squeeze, Nat Zvereva to wear those in competition!

Oh, to be back in the trendy early 90's again! Well, then again, maybe not. Acid-wash denim shorts? Neon? Rocker hair? [another barf burp]

Scott Davis was a bit of a hothead on court, though, and his antics could "wake up" David Pate a bit as well.

Katlion
07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Guillermo Canas, only because I've met him in real life, and he is a really nice guy. Kissed me on the cheek.

mdjenders
07-17-2008, 01:13 PM
sjeng schalken. i loved his smooth stroke baseline game.

NikeWilson
07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Andrei Chesnakov
Henri Leconte
David Wheaton

Ocean Drive
07-19-2008, 05:09 AM
A lot of people I speak to have forgotten about El Aynaoui, although I doubt people on this forum would.

jmsx521
07-19-2008, 05:45 AM
...and there was an Australian guy from the late 80s, early 90s (1HBH and muscular built), but I always forget his name.

Jason Stoltenberg?

Don't think he was around in the late 80s, early 90s, but is it Andrew Ilie?...

Wally Masur! Career High ATP Ranking - Singles: 15 (11-Oct-93)
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=M030

dsa202
07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Younes El Anoui

slice bh compliment
07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Wally Masur! Career High ATP Ranking - Singles: 15 (11-Oct-93)
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=M030

Glad you found it. Wally Masur was a solid and guileful player. A great coach, now, too.

But, uhm, muscularly built? Man, if Wally was muscular, Cash and Rafa are heavyweights.

wjt_tennis
07-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Mecir. Man I loved that open stance and smooth stroke. I just went out to Youtube and watched a few points.

Great thread. It is fun to remember these guys

How about Flach and Seguso? I seem to remember a match between those guys and a french pair, maybe Noah and Leconte??? where the french thought the ball hit Ken Flach's hair...it was not called and they went into the tank for the rest of the match. I may be wrong though. That has been a long time. One of the weirdest things I have ever seen

britbox
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Anders Jarryd
Joachim Nystrom
Jonas B. Svensson
Magnus Larsson

I used to like Nystrom and Mecir also... Nystrom probably should have won more than he did but Mecir was hugely talented. Also quite liked another swede - Mikael Pernfors. Only a small guy but a great competitor. Sadly best remembered for blowing a 6-1 6-1 4-1 lead to Connors at Wimbledon.

AJK1
07-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Elliot Telscher, an american guy from the 70's/80's i think. I remember watching him at the Custom Credit indoor championships here in Sydney. I think he had a two fister on both sides?

urban
07-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I think, that was Gene Mayer. Great touch player like Mecir, brother of Alex Mayer. Other great characters were Ray Moore and Jeff Borowiak, both scholars of Torben Ulrich, the tennis player, philosopher, jazz musician, guru.

sampras13
07-26-2008, 10:43 PM
hicham arazi...great guy too

slice bh compliment
07-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Elliot Telscher, an american guy from the 70's/80's i think. I remember watching him at the Custom Credit indoor championships here in Sydney. I think he had a two fister on both sides?

Yeah, you're thinking Gene Mayer for sure. Eliot Teltscher was a really thin guy with an extreme eastern one handed BH. He played at UCLA when Mac played at Stanford (1977/8) and made it to the top ten a few years. He lives in SoCal and coaches for the USTA play dev program.

grizzly4life
07-27-2008, 09:43 AM
what about henrick sundstrom? do i have the name right?... played way behind the baseline with huge topspin. i think he was a child prodigy

ckthegreek
07-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Guillermo Pérez Roldán.

Very elegant clay courter. Saw him win an event in Athens in 1987. Reached No.13 in the ATP rankings and an FO quarter final.

Winners or Errors
07-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Mine would have to be Jarkko Nieminin (sp.) he looks like the nicest guy to be around and love his style of play.

Can't forget Magnus Norman either. http://www.sverigestennismuseum.com/bilder/bild-14.jpg

Can't believe we made it through so many posts without any mention of Jimmy Arias or Aaron Krickstein? Weren't they supposed to be the future of American tennis at one point in the 1980s? Where are they now?

Not exactly my favorite players, but Arias' backhand was a very entertaining shot.

Functionc
07-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Michael Chang just disappeared..... :/ right after he reached the high point of his career he just dropped.... i bought his book but... thats all :/ he was a strong christian too...

jean pierre
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Raoul Ramirez, wonderful player, semi-finalist at the French. And John Sadri.

vbranis
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
The lefty Hicham Arazi, he had some real talent. Not a big guy, but he could do just about anything with the ball. I used to love watching him play and seeing his many tricks.

Rickson
07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Noah had that backhand slice.

fridrix
07-29-2008, 04:16 AM
Carling Bassett?

Love Game
08-03-2008, 04:10 PM
My favorite ? Mark Woodford (loved his hair)! :razz:

I liked Becker as a player,
but I like him even better as a commentator!

He commented on a few matches at Wimbledon, and he really kept me entertained, such as when he said Rafa was about to take the usual 19.5 seconds between points! :mrgreen:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_111s.gif

lwto
10-17-2013, 11:23 PM

I play tennis with Jeff here in Seattle.. hangs around the shop, always playing, still a very good player..err. excellent player.

BTURNER
10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Paul Annacone: the only player cheeky enough to chip and charge of Johnny Mac's first serve. Didn't work out to well for him but it did burn Mac's kindling that he dared to try. Now we know him as Coach Annacone

SystemicAnomaly
10-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Yannick Noah. He seems more well known for his singing these days but I always enjoyed his very unique brand of tennis...

Another vote for Yannick. Aslo a huge fan of Fabrice Santoro (have ppl forgotten him yet?).

For the fairer sex some of my favorites include Gigi Fernandez (http://www.wtatennis.com/namedImage/12781/player_60014.jpg), Cara Black, Gisela Dulko (http://img002.lazygirls.info/people/gisela_dulko/gisela_dulko_8_gisela_dulko_zboKIt7.sized.jpg), and Patrice Tarabini. They were all known more for doubles than singles but were all very athletic and talented players. Tarabini was particularly entertaining to watch -- a very deceptive, creative and showy playing style.

ScentOfDefeat
10-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Magnus Gustafsson and his windmill forehand. 14 titles overall and a Davis Cup win in 1988. Not a bad career at all.

suwanee4712
10-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Bettina Bunge, Laura Gildemeister, Leonardo Lavalle, Chris Lewis, Kathy Horvath, Kathy Rinaldi, Bill Scanlon, Tomas Smid, Larissa Savchenko, Lori McNeil, Mikael Pernfors, Henrik Sundstrom, Catarina Lindqvist, Andrea Temesvari.

Lots of players that passed through history after an unforgettable moment in the sun.

hoodjem
10-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Edberg or Mecir.

SystemicAnomaly
10-19-2013, 01:56 PM
^ Edberg forgotten???

Magnus Gustafsson and his windmill forehand. 14 titles overall and a Davis Cup win in 1988. Not a bad career at all.

How about Tom Okker? He had the original windmill forehand. His windmill loop often incorporated a windshield wiper finish.

http://www.oscarwegner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/forehand-range-of-motion.jpg

robby c
10-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I think, that was Gene Mayer. Great touch player like Mecir, brother of Alex Mayer. Other great characters were Ray Moore and Jeff Borowiak, both scholars of Torben Ulrich, the tennis player, philosopher, jazz musician, guru.

Sandy Mayer was Gene Mayer's older brother. I think Sandy made the Top 10.

boredone3456
10-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Men:

Washington
Grosjean

Women:
Maggie Maleeva
Ai Sugiyama
Julie Halard-Decugis

ScentOfDefeat
10-19-2013, 04:53 PM
^ Edberg forgotten???

How about Tom Okker? He had the original windmill forehand. His windmill loop often incorporated a windshield wiper finish.

http://www.oscarwegner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/forehand-range-of-motion.jpg

Hahaha. Yep, he has the original windmill forehand, that's for sure. Such an awkward shot. But I think Gustafsson is more of a "forgotten" player than Okker.

PDJ
10-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Not cOmpletely forgotten but now much better known as (IMO) brilliant anchor for many prestige BBC sports events. Sue Barker. As a school boy she was soooooo pretty, but the most amazing Pre-Graf forehand. An absolute roller-coaster to watch, but always entertaining.

Fedinkum
10-20-2013, 03:17 AM
andrei medvedev

I love his temperament and and FH groundies, very compact but elegant.

jean pierre
10-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Hans Gildemeister. Great and strange game. A great match against Vilas in French Open.

kiki
10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Hans Gildemeister. Great and strange game. A great match against Vilas in French Open.

Nice dude Hans...and underrated as a doubs player too.

SCRAP IRON
10-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Vitas Gerulaitis. He was a good guy...

SCRAP IRON
10-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Vijay Armitrage for a more recent but forgotten player.

Lazarus
10-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Miloslav Mečíř

SCRAP IRON
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Miloslav Mečíř

Good one- He moved so effortlessly

Laurie
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Nice thread.

I always liked Nicholas Escude from France, very good player, liked to serve and volley on faster surfaces, could have done better but had a lot of injuries unfortuntately.

On the womens side I always liked Chanda Rubin. With a bit of luck she might have won a big title, she had the shots.

rainingaces
10-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Wayne Arthurs, Younes el aynaoui, Mario Ancic were entertainers especially at Wimbledon.

jrepac
10-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Magnus Norman
Vijay Armitraj
Vince Van Patten
Carling Bassett
Wendy Turnbull
Johan Kriek

monfed
10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Mark Philipoussis.

KineticChain
10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
DAE remember Roger Federer?

Leelord337
10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
loved watching Guillermo Coria on clay

But i REALLY MISS Fabrice Santoro :(

BobbyOne
10-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Vijay Armitrage for a more recent but forgotten player.

Who is Armitrage?

morten
10-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Natalie Tauziat, great serve and volley player. Fernando? Meligeni....

Gonzalito17
10-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Rios, Coria, Arazi, Andrew Ilie, Krajicek, Dent, Patty Schynder, Sabine Appelmans )

hawk eye
10-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Nice thread.

I always liked Nicholas Escude from France, very good player, liked to serve and volley on faster surfaces, could have done better but had a lot of injuries unfortuntately.

On the womens side I always liked Chanda Rubin. With a bit of luck she might have won a big title, she had the shots.

Yes Escude was a special case. He won Rotterdam back to back in the early 2000's. I remember the tournament director not being too happy because " he hits all of my top players out of the tournament." He was young back then would have been one of the last great S&V standing if it wasn't for his injuries.

Well he may not be totally forgotten for the wrong reasons but Petr Korda was one heck of a player. Incredible talented flat hitting lefty who could do anything on his day no matter who his opponent was. Pretty old skool strokes, he could make everything look so easy.

jean pierre
10-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Vitas Gerulaitis. He was a good guy...

Yes, great player, but he's not forgotten !

kiki
10-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Victor Pecci

rossi46
10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Nicolas Escude

BlueB
10-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Slobodan "Boba" Zivojinovic

Alex Corretja

Amanda Coetzer

Mima Jausovec

Leelord337
10-30-2013, 09:13 PM
^^^Amanda Coetzer was ridiculously fine.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eemvm-fD58o/T0ZIwAUmDWI/AAAAAAAAEhM/DCIR-EnqoVw/s320/amanda-coetzer.jpg

PDJ
10-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Slobodan "Boba" Zivojinovic

Alex Corretja

Amanda Coetzer

Mima Jausovec

This is such a great thread: so many players I'd personally forgotten but its lovely to be reminded of.- such as the 4 above. YouTube here I come!

ScentOfDefeat
11-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Remember Lionel Roux?

This is him beating Stich at the Paris Indoors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLGJBF8Si5s

kiki
11-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Bettina Bunge

kiki
11-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Manolo Santana
He invented top spin while becoming the first genuine cc player to win both Wimbledon and Forest Hills on fast grass...

jelle v
11-03-2013, 04:25 AM
I seem to remember a Mark Kevin Goellner, german player, i think i was a fan of his forehand. I think it was in the time we still received DSF (Deutsche Sport Fernsehen) here in the Netherlands. They broadcasted a lot of tennis.

Then the was Guillaume Raoux, a french player with glasses and is seem to remember him actually playing a weird Wilson racket designed for power and spin, with the strings having bigger holes at the top of the racket and smaller holes at the bottom.

jelle v
11-03-2013, 04:29 AM
The lefty Hicham Arazi, he had some real talent. Not a big guy, but he could do just about anything with the ball. I used to love watching him play and seeing his many tricks.

Yes!!!

Thank you for the reminder! Was a really big fan of him. If I remember correctly, he used to do this trick with his racket (more players do it), after losing a point. It would seem he would throw his racket to the ground, but then he flipped it over the back of his wrist and catch it again.

Fantastic player, with great creativity in his game.

jelle v
11-03-2013, 04:32 AM
^ Edberg forgotten???

Sorry for triple posting, but

Is it me or does that look scary close to Federer's forehand? He even has the look on the ball while he is hitting the ball.. :shock:

ScentOfDefeat
11-03-2013, 08:24 AM
I seem to remember a Mark Kevin Goellner, german player, i think i was a fan of his forehand. I think it was in the time we still received DSF (Deutsche Sport Fernsehen) here in the Netherlands. They broadcasted a lot of tennis.

Then the was Guillaume Raoux, a french player with glasses and is seem to remember him actually playing a weird Wilson racket designed for power and spin, with the strings having bigger holes at the top of the racket and smaller holes at the bottom.

That's right. I also received DSF in Belgium and could watch these matches. Great time to be a tennis fan.

jelle v
11-03-2013, 08:33 AM
That's right. I also received DSF in Belgium and could watch these matches. Great time to be a tennis fan.

I now would have to pay for a subscription to Sport1, to be able to watch all the masters. Eurosport only broadcasts WTA and Aus Open and US Open I think. No atp tournaments whatsoever.

What kind of a channel do you have in Belgium for tennis?

By the way: Luckily there are online streams these days, so one can watch a little tennis :)

ScentOfDefeat
11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I now would have to pay for a subscription to Sport1, to be able to watch all the masters. Eurosport only broadcasts WTA and Aus Open and US Open I think. No atp tournaments whatsoever.

What kind of a channel do you have in Belgium for tennis?

By the way: Luckily there are online streams these days, so one can watch a little tennis :)

Well, I lived there as a kid. It was a great city to live in in terms of the availability of sports on TV. You could watch different tournaments in their home country's sports channels (French, Dutch, German, you name it) and then you had Eurosport with the best tennis coverage ever. I remember this time of the year was brilliant (in the 90's), there was a tennis tournament every week and Eurosport would show it. Nowadays I just have Eurosport and, like you, I basically watch the WTA, the Australian Open and the US Open.

jelle v
11-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Well, I lived there as a kid. It was a great city to live in in terms of the availability of sports on TV. You could watch different tournaments in their home country's sports channels (French, Dutch, German, you name it) and then you had Eurosport with the best tennis coverage ever. I remember this time of the year was brilliant (in the 90's), there was a tennis tournament every week and Eurosport would show it. Nowadays I just have Eurosport and, like you, I basically watch the WTA, the Australian Open and the US Open.

You are right about Eurosport, they used to show a lot of tennis too.. I once wrote an e-mail about the lack of ATP-tennis on Eurosport, but they wrote back that there was no money for broadcasting ATP-tennis.. basically it had gotten to expensive.

ScentOfDefeat
11-04-2013, 04:50 AM
You are right about Eurosport, they used to show a lot of tennis too.. I once wrote an e-mail about the lack of ATP-tennis on Eurosport, but they wrote back that there was no money for broadcasting ATP-tennis.. basically it had gotten to expensive.

Yeah, that's true. I'm all for variety but some events covered by Eurosport nowadays are just absurd. I understand winter sports, combat sports, motor sports and what have you. But under-everything football is just taking it a step too far. Who's watching these under-17 European Championships? There's about 10 people watching these matches locally. Why don't they assume that Eurosport is an alternative sports channel (as in alternative to football, the Leviathan of sports) and just leave football to other channels? Instead of under-every-age football we could either have more tennis or other sports that usually don't get a lot of recognition, like badminton (really fun to watch) or sumo (remember when they had sumo on Eurosport?).

winstonlim8
11-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Lili de Alvarez - arguably the first woman tennis player to choose to hit on the rise as far as possible (even before Fred Perry) and the first woman to woman to wear pants or shorts (something like a looser version of Nadal's pirate pants) at Wimbledon.

She was three times a Wimbledon finalist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil%C3%AD_%C3%81lvarez

slice bh compliment
11-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Sabine Appelmans )

Didn't
Tribe Called Quest write a song about her?

Kidding.

Anyway, hans jorgen pohmann,
Antonio zugarelli,
Corrado barazzuti,
Daniele musa,
Cassio motta,
Carlos kirmayr,
Alex antonitsch
Arne thoms,
Tomas smid
And...uhm...
Karsten braasch

Jean phillipE fleurian
Renzo furlan
Brett steven
Chris lewis
Trey waltke
Per hjertquist
Piet norval
Brian macphie
Jay lapidus
Mike de palmer
Paul annacone
Nick saviano
Marcel freeman
Rodney harmon
Martin Blackman
Marty reissen
Tom Gorman
Tim mayotte
Nduka odizor
Ronald agenor
Goran prpic
Andreas vinciguerra
Joachim nystrom
Joachim johansson
Jonas b svensson
Jonas bjorkman
Jan apell
Magnus larsson
Magnus norman
Magnus gustafsson

kiki
11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Didn't
Tribe Called Quest write a song about her?

Kidding.

Anyway, hans jorgen pohmann,
Antonio zugarelli,
Corrado barazzuti,
Daniele musa,
Cassio motta,
Carlos kirmayr,
Alex antonitsch
Arne thoms,
Tomas smid
And...uhm...
Karsten braasch

Jean phillipE fleurian
Renzo furlan
Brett steven
Chris lewis
Trey waltke
Per hjertquist
Piet norval
Brian macphie
Jay lapidus
Mike de palmer
Paul annacone
Nick saviano
Marcel freeman
Rodney harmon
Martin Blackman
Marty reissen
Tom Gorman
Tim mayotte
Nduka odizor
Ronald agenor
Goran prpic
Andreas vinciguerra
Joachim nystrom
Joachim johansson
Jonas b svensson
Jonas bjorkman
Jan apell
Magnus larsson
Magnus norman
Magnus gustafsson

Buch Seewagen, Brent Pirrow.Mike Myburg and, of course, Jay Lapidus

Laurie
11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Any of you guys in Europe have Supertennis HD? It's a life saver for tennis fans.

http://www.supertennis.tv/

fezer
11-13-2013, 10:56 PM
this is my first post on this forum. i entered, because i wanted to contribute to this particular thread!

i didn't read all the posts here, but the mentioning of some names brought back memories. i'd like to start with players from my homecountry GERMANY.

CARL-UWE STEEB
powerful baseliner, his forehand unbelievable, fit as hell
Steeb became an instant hero in germany, when he beat world no1 Mats Wilander in 1988 davis cup final after being two sets down
Steeb also had some wins over Agassi, Becker and Sampras
overall his passing shots were not well placed enough thats why he always had trouble with sv players
reached top15

ERIC JELEN
very stylish sv-player, a little bit like edberg, but even more a headcase
Jelen also became a davis cup hero for germany, in the very important doubles matches in the finals 88/89 alongside the great Boris Becker he won against Edberg/Jarryd twice
and in the leendary Hartford encounter with the US he won vs Mayotte just before Becker beat McEnroe in that epic 5setter
reached better 20s in the ranking

SCRAP IRON
11-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Moose, I was waiting..... :)

You stole my thunder! Yep, Fast Eddie Dibbs and Harold "Moon boy" Solomon. I miss watching those two guys for sure.

And Karsten Braasch

I play every so often with Eddie Dibbs. He is a real character and can still play with the best of them...

kiki
11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I play every so often with Eddie Dibbs. He is a real character and can still play with the best of them...

Yeah, fast Eddie came to some tourneys with big bikes...I liked the guy, and I have seen some few excellent matches featuring Dibbs.

MARK ANDERS
11-15-2013, 02:27 PM
thomas enqvist (an all time fav), nicholas kiefer, escude and lapentti), dominik hrbaty (another all time fav), andrew illie, jiri novak, buff farrow, vince van patten, sandrine tested, betty stove

NLBwell
11-15-2013, 03:00 PM

And people picked on me when I made a Jarkko Nieminen thread.

I'd go with Cedric Pioline. Great player, fun to watch, , made US Open and Wimbledon finals. He lost his first 9 ATP tournament finals before he finally won one.

fezer
11-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Mark Anders! nice picks. esp enqvist! firepower without end! had some interesting matches with agassi!

next up for me - our neighbours from holland

PAUL HAARHUIS
very solid all-around game, i think he reached top20 singles and was an excellent doubles player
Haarhuis is 3:1 h2h vs Sampras! and 3:3 vs Becker
he beat Becker in davis cup (one of only 3 losses of Becker) and he beat Becker at the uso 91 in straight sets. Haarhuis had 5 break points and converted 5!

i think his doubles partner was
JACCO ELTINGH
sv specialist reached top30 in singles

bigred1910
11-16-2013, 11:02 PM
fabrice santoro.....

he looks like the nicest guy in the world has a lovely court presence and doesnt seem overtly arrogant or arseholish.

not to mention his playstyle is just amazingly interesting.

Paul Murphy
11-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Todd Nelson. Lovely guy.

fezer
11-17-2013, 07:29 AM
there was fine tennis in Switzerland before Martina & Roger played by

JAKOB HLASEK
top10 in late 80s, excellent sv-player

MARC ROSSET
top10 in early 90s, reached sf at RG
very powerful forehand and serve-but-no-volley

together they reached the davis cup final in early 90s

kiki
11-17-2013, 08:28 AM
there was fine tennis in Switzerland before Martina & Roger played by

JAKOB HLASEK
top10 in late 80s, excellent sv-player

MARC ROSSET

together they reached the davis cup final in early 90s

and Heinz Gunthardt

NLBwell
11-17-2013, 10:11 AM
t
MARC ROSSET

With his height, big serve, and preference for groundstrokes, I call him the prototype for the modern player.

fezer
11-17-2013, 10:28 PM
and Heinz Gunthardt

of course, but mostly with BALASZ TAROSZY in doubles.
Günthard was far behind Hlasek and Rosset as far as singles accomplishments are concerned. but later Heinz became famous as Steffis coach and top commentator on eurosport.

fezer
11-17-2013, 10:39 PM
today's subject RUSSIA

ANDREJ CHESNOKOV
reached top10 in singles, beat Wilander twice (!) at RG in straight sets.
stubborn baseliner

ALEXANDER VOLKOV, ANDREJ CHERKASOV

slice bh compliment
11-18-2013, 03:45 AM
Da.
Alex Metreveli (from Georgia....in the Caucasus Mts)
Olga Morozova
Larisa Savchenko

kiki
11-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Da.
Alex Metreveli (from Georgia....in the Caucasus Mts)
Olga Morozova
Larisa Savchenko

Love those old russians like Chessy ( lovely character) and Metrevali.

Rosewall
11-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Miloslav Mecir. I've already mentioned him many times on here. I think there is a youtube video of he and McEnroe playing. I started paying attention when I saw an interview where Mac said he was his favorite player to watch and his "all court" game reminded him of himself. Indeed, he was fun to watch, but Mecir was more interested in fishing than tennis and as soon as he had enough money, he was gone from the game for good. If he has ever played on a senior circuit or exhibition map, I am unaware of it. I have not heard of the guy in over 20 years.

slice bh compliment
11-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah, is he on a lake outside Bratislava?
Mecir's son plays a good game. Similar to papa.

Chip 'n Charge
11-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Bill Scanlon, Jose Luis Clerc and Virginia Ruzici

fezer
11-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Miloslav Mecir. I've already mentioned him many times on here. I think there is a youtube video of he and McEnroe playing. I started paying attention when I saw an interview where Mac said he was his favorite player to watch and his "all court" game reminded him of himself. Indeed, he was fun to watch, but Mecir was more interested in fishing than tennis and as soon as he had enough money, he was gone from the game for good. If he has ever played on a senior circuit or exhibition map, I am unaware of it. I have not heard of the guy in over 20 years.

Mecir also one of my alltime favs. the movement, the balance, the swing. superb! i think i remember that he retired because of back problems. his son is playing now (~200).
Mecir was a complete headcase. he had convincing wins over McEnroe,Wilander, Edberg (@Wimbledon in straights), Becker and Lendl, but he often choked. eg that wimbysf 88 vs Edberg when Milo was in complete control for 2,5 sets.
and once i think it was in düsseldorf he lost his composure completely after two double faults vs Connors, so that he didnt serve overhead anymore.
but nevertheless 'the cat was coooool'!

fezer
11-19-2013, 02:16 AM
what about SPAIN?

SERGIO CASAL
sv player, reached paris open (indoor) final, the only player that has two davis cup wins vs becker

ALBERTO BERASATEGUI
rg finalist 93 with forehand only

ALBERT COSTA
the forgotten rg champion

FRANCISCO CLAVET, JAVIER SANCHEZ

USS Tang
11-19-2013, 02:54 AM
John Pash from UK. Left-hander I believe.

cocarrot
11-19-2013, 06:57 AM
That's simple: Mardy Fish

jersey34tennis
11-19-2013, 10:52 AM
felix mantilla. sweet looking one handed backhand. there are some clay highlights of him playing albert costa i think in rome that are just fantastic

Rosewall
11-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Wow, I was unaware Mecir's son played professionally. That would make three generations of Mecir tennis pros.

kiki
11-19-2013, 01:14 PM
felix mantilla. sweet looking one handed backhand. there are some clay highlights of him playing albert costa i think in rome that are just fantastic

A good fighter who overcame a skin cancer and still kept playing.

Butch Walts came back to courts in 1982 after overcoming a testicle cancer, I think.

slice bh compliment
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM

f Mantilla vs a Costa, nice call. Both sweet one-handers.
I remember seeing mantilla live. What a nice guy. Very generous with the ballkids. Used a volkl c 10 pro.
Costa..i remember him ripping an impatient agassi one day, like 1 and 1. This was early in the clay season, so agassi must have just flown over to europe. Not the best chapter in dre's career, but i remember being pretty impressed with costa, especially his return and his short angles to the side Ts.

Another forgotten one is eliot teltscher. Played at ucla in the late seventies, then was atp top ten in the early eighties. Teltscher is worthy of this thread, the one about college players and the one about one handers. Triplethreat as the hollywood people say.

fezer
11-21-2013, 08:28 AM
South Africa.

JOHAN KRIEK
multislam winner during the 1980s in singles! as a svplayer he reached the rg sf nad i remember him saying that he never expected that and that the only reason for coming to paris was that his wife (or girlfriend) wanted to go out shopping there. so she had some extra time and money to spend
Kriek later became a us citizen just like

KEVIN CURREN
played the best wimbledon fortnight in the 80s - except the final. beat mcenroe and connors in straights.

WAYNE FERREIRA
best south african player in the 90s. very solid top20 guy, but his biggest success came at the barcelona olympics where ferreira won a silver medal...

heftylefty
11-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Todd Nelson. Lovely guy.

Nice Pull!!

Let me add Bryan Shelton. Winner of back to back Hall of Fame titles.

kiki
04-21-2014, 02:26 PM
John Alexander
Kim Warwick
Buster Mottram
jaime Fillol

slice bh compliment
04-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Nice Pull!!

Let me add Bryan Shelton. Winner of back to back Hall of Fame titles.

Great one, HL.
B Shelton Played college tennis at georgia tech, did well on grass, once beat the great michael stich at wimbledon.

Defensive Tennis
04-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Todd Martin, Magnus Norman, Guy Forget, David Wheaton just to name a few off the top of my head.

Knife
04-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Alex Corretja, Arnaud Boetsch, Carlos Costa, Paolo Canč, Andrés Gómez...